Resurrection of an old laptop

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
So I found my old laptop from circa 2004 in a box. Plugged it in, remembered my password on first try and brought me right in to xp and 1gb of ram.

Any hope for this thing? Really not looking to spend money on it. Was maybe going to throw win 10 on it but not with that ram count. Lol

Lightweight Linux distro to play with?

Really just want to use it on my desk to listen to YouTube and stuff while I work on my work machine.

I also remember why I ditched it.... It kept overheating and shutting off when the CPU cranked. I thought it was just dirty but I took the covers off the back tonight and the insides and fans are clear.

Paperweight? Electronic recycling?

PXL_20200915_010743140~2.jpg

Beat the hard drive and recycle it. Run Linux in a vm lol

got an iPad? Old phone? Those would do YouTube fine.

Yea. This laptop has nice altec Lansing speakers that sound great. That's kinda why

sounds like 200 bucks in parts, aka almost a new laptop cost these days. totally not worth it. not even sure what it has for slots. it might just be that 1 ram stick (i didn't get in that deep)

i could sell you something for 100 that will blow it out of the water lol

yeah, really not looking to invest any cash in this.

my wife has an old laptop too... i wonder if i can salvage some ram out of that...

Always fun to get into old laptops and such. Probably some interesting AIM conversations stored in the history somewhere in there. maybe some old pictures and such as well.

Back