Rev-Limiting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yeah... that makes no sense. he's got a stock b16 revving to 9 grand where he makes as much power as when he's idling.

actually there are some benefits to "over revving," but on circuits. some race cars and motorcycles have an extra 400-600rpm after peak power so when they reach a corner they dont have to shift up so they dont redline and then down shift when they enter it, they can just enter the corner over revving and stay in gear. im not an expert on how to elaborate but im sure if you google on it you'll find some answers. i just saw it on speed on some techno babble.

also give the right equipment, more revs mean more power. right equipment means a head that flows, pistons, rods, igition, cams, etc... you gain more power. i believe horsepower is torquexrevs.

anyone can correct me or support as im exactly 100% positive.

Quoted post[/post]]
hp = ((torque X rpm) /5250)

Actually... that rpm figure should be 5252. :p

hp = ((torque X rpm)/5252)
tq = ((hp/rpm) X 5252)

turns out I make 110.56 ft lbs at 5252 rpm apparently... I don't see how, a b16a's torque curve isn't that flat is it?

Interesting, my EG cuts out at about 132 MPH at 7200 RPMs. That's due to me having a B20B with a Si tranny. I have a few times bounced it off the rev limiter racing on the highway. Kind of sucks that it cuts off so short but the fun part is how quick it accelerates.

Quoted post[/post]]
so what you guys saying is that b16s are better off shifting at 7600rpm??

Only on a stock motor. If you are running a heavily modified motor with cams, port & polished head, high flow intake manifold, big throttle body, etc, etc, then you can make more power all the way up to or near the redline. But with the stock motor you actually are killing your quarter mile time by revving past that point. Not to mention fucking up your motor and trans. You really have to experiment with it to see what rpm you land at in the next gear to say where you should rev to. As long as you're landing around 5200 rpm, you should be good to go.

Back