Serious Distributor Problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
Well i've finally had enough of this damn problem with my exhaust sputtering.

Last night i replaced the Distributor Cap and the Rotor (97 Accord VTEC) and now the car BARELY keeps going. I dont know what the deal is, it just idle at like 200 and ALMOST DIES, but doesnt. I have no clue whats up...anyone else have an H22A swap that would like to shead some light for me?

enginestamp.jpg

What about raising your idle? manually on the throttle cable? and what cap and rotor did you get? the 97 accord vtec? you should of gotten the 94 prelude w/ h22.

well those caps wouldnt work because i have the internal coil distributor. The cap is exactly the same as the one on there, its just grey instead of black. The rotor looks different, but it had the same dimensions as the old one, so i figured it would work. I didnt know who all had the internal coil dizzy still on their car, and i wondered what they used for their swap.

You bought the correct cap and rotor.

I'd agree - try manually raising the idle point first and see if that helps. Are you sure you connected the plugs wires back correctly? That's a definite possibility.

yeah they are in the right order, but it isnt helping...we are trying to adjust the timing...we got the light out, but there arent any markings that we can see on the main accessory belt (the one that runs the alternator) is that where we should be looking?

well we found the markings for the timing (inside a hole right next to the engine stamp) and now all my ignition stuff is setup, but its still not running right. We think now there might be a clogged fuel filter cause weve tested the coil and everything, but it still isnt running right at full throttle. We originally thought that the fuel smell was unburned gas and it was running rich. Would a clogged filter have the same symptoms?

Well i fixed it, but i think my IACV is dieing cause when i rev the engine hard and let it down, the engine goes to about 50 RPMs.

IACV, right?

(BTW, the Bosch dbl Platinum spark plugs i had caused the problem...i replaced them with NGK plugs and the problem is gone)

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Sep 12 2005, 04:57 PM
Yet another black mark for Bosch products. Glad that getting rid of those shitty plugs did the trick.
[post=553222]Quoted post[/post]​

NGK all the way, baby.. and fuck the iridium 9's.. just regular NGKs.. Won't ever let you down.

If you remove the IACV and clean it out really well with carb cleaner, it usually goes back to operating normally.

hope that fixes it : )

Back