Shaving b16 rods

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16coupe

I am planning on putting a set of ctr pistons in my b16, but after doing a little research i find out that you have to shave some of the rod for the ctr pistons to fit. what part do i shave off and how much do i take off? I have also read that the ctr pistons will give me 10.8:1 or 11.1:1 or 11.6:1 CR. Which is it?

Thanks

I'm getting 10.8:1 compression through the calculator... I'm sure I'm doing something wrong though. I don't see why you'd need to shave the rods any.

its around 11 i believe. go on ff-squad.com (look for a tech section) from what ive seen, they have the most accurate b-series calculator and even have articles on the R pistons.

i have it at 10.88:1 with p30 (JDM CTR pistons if memory serves)

DOH!!!! CHECK REFRENCE SECTION

Originally posted by reikoshea@Jul 11 2005, 12:12 AM
i have it at 10.88:1 with p30 (JDM CTR pistons if memory serves)

DOH!!!! CHECK REFRENCE SECTION
[post=523901]Quoted post[/post]​

p30 is the sir II pistons...CTR's are PCT

oh okay thanks for the correction.

yah...im planning to change my ori piston(b16a2) to ctr piston .... n someone tell me that hav to shave the rod too... but dunno which part of rod hav to shave actually... thanx.. need help here too... :(

Oh- shaving THAT... thought you were talking about notching the rods or something.

Just for reference - you also have to do this to LS rods to fit "R" type pistons on them.....

Do you have to get a maching shop to shave it perfectly flat or can you just do it yourself with a dremel or some other tool?

well you shouldnt try doing it yourself unless unless you have some sort of milling machine or some sort of planer. a dremel isnt going to be too accurate and can probally ruin the balance. also, ive never really seen anyone try to shave steel with a dremel(only cut, so i dont know if there's even a bit for that).

Originally posted by b16coupe+Jul 11 2005, 10:25 PM-->
Oh- shaving THAT... thought you were talking about notching the rods or something.

Yep, i did originally too
[post=524492]Quoted post[/post]​

I think it was because he was talking about not clearing the skirt. I don't know what the proper name for the center of the piston is, but you'd be shaving the top of the rod to fit in the slot (between the struts) so you could get up into the wrist pin area.

K2e2vin
@Jul 12 2005, 07:59 PM
well you shouldnt try doing it yourself unless unless you have some sort of milling machine or some sort of planer. a dremel isnt going to be too accurate and can probally ruin the balance. also, ive never really seen anyone try to shave steel with a dremel(only cut, so i dont know if there's even a bit for that).
[post=525066]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Take it to a shop.

I just got back from 3 different machine shops and none of them can shave my damn rods. I don't see what balance i would be messing up if i did it myself with a grinder or something. How will it throw the balance off?

Thanks

Well if you don't get them all shaved EXACTLY the same it'll throw off the balance of your engine and boom, no more engine. With a grinder you can't do precise machining like you can with a mill. I mean, you can try it yourself, but I sure as hell wouldn't.

Back