shotpeened rods????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jspeccrx91

they a good or bad idea? who can i get to do it? will they hold up? what's an affordable set of rods if not? i'm working on my n/a b20/vtec. my guess is around 200whp at around 8-8500rpm. mods are:
b20b block 85mm
rs pistons 11.7comp
rods (undecided)
arp rod bolts
fidanza 7.5lb flywheel
ctr crank pulley
exedy stage 1 clucth kit
acl main/rod/thrust race bearings
b16 head with port and polish
dh racing dual valve spring/retainers
(was a little iffy about them but they're working great)
brian crower stage 2 cams
buddy club cam gears
accel 370cc injectors
aebs power products typhoon intake port matched
hondata intake gasket
aebs power products 68mm throttle body port matched
b&m fuel pressure regulator
nology wires and coil
vafc2
custom chipped ecu (modified mugen program burned by my buddy)
password jdm carbon power chamber intake
custom 3" exhaust/no cat with an apexi n1 muffler

Shot peening rods is a good idea.. Gets rid of sharp edges and minor casting defects that might cause stress points in the rod, as well as causes surface compression which strengthens the rod overall, and reduces the chance of cracks to form .. But a forged rod is way way better. And more expensive.

Last edited:
Any competent machine shop can shot-peen the rods for you. It's good insurance if you're going to use them in an all-motor build. They'll hold up just fine as long as you have a good tune.

thanks, shot peened rods it will be. my goal is to hit12's you think my current list of mods will do it. my semi stripped crx with my built b16 weighs in at exactly 2000lbs with no driver.the 20 will be going in this rex. wanna stay all motor any advice?

All depends on the tune and how well everything works together. Honestly looks like you're just throwing parts together. That's not even a favorable engine management setup for the mods you have listed.

ehh... most of my friends with about that setup say they like to use either aem's or hondata's but to each his own i always say...

the tuning's not a problem. i got a friend that handles all my tuning he hooks up his lap top and chip burner and off to the dyno we go. as far as throwing parts together.........i thought that was the name of the game. yes it's true i don't have the top of line parts or of the same company but what i have seems to work well together. regardless of my reckless parts choice are 12's possible in your opinion? maybe someone with a similar swap can answer?

the tuning's not a problem. i got a friend that handles all my tuning he hooks up his lap top and chip burner and off to the dyno we go. as far as throwing parts together.........i thought that was the name of the game. yes it's true i don't have the top of line parts or of the same company but what i have seems to work well together. regardless of my reckless parts choice are 12's possible in your opinion? maybe someone with a similar swap can answer?

I think high 12's are possible with an lsd, short gearing (aka no ls trans), sticky tires, and practice. I hit a 13.4 in my full weight hatch when it had prolly 210 whp. This was with an open diff, a bad tune, and my first time at the track. With some practice, and with your light chassis, 12's are feasible.

Back