sohc vtec turbo?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dash0n

i was wondering how much hp at the wheels can someone expect with a d16y8 turbo??? and would it be faster then a SI or GSR, or how much faster

all depends on the setup, single cam turbo's can be fast, but d-series motors are inherently weaker and require stronger rods before a lot of power is put to the wheels...plus the transmissions are weaker, especially the differentials.

in my opinion its not worth building a turbo single cam because of their tendency to break. yes, you can get away with it but this is only on lower boost and a gsr motor with bolt-on's will be just as fast...plus you'll have reliability and power that is always there.

now, single cam vtec's with nitrous are another story...and i'm a firm believer that the cheapest way into the 12's is a mini-me + 50 shot + gutted crx. this way, if you break things you can just replace the bottom end easily without having to worry about pipes, turbos, etc.

my buddy just bought a 94 civic hatchback with a greddy turbo kit running 6psi of boost. Him and another buddy with a 97 prelude with a header air intake and an exhaust raced. He caught the car around 100mph and passed him like he standing still. It was fast but not that fast.

MY BUDDY HAD A GREDDY TD04 TURBO KIT WITH A CONQUEST INTERCOOLER,RC 440 INJECTORS, Apex'i VFAC/AVCR, AND 2.25 INCHES EXHAUST AND RUNNING 11POUNDS ON STOCK INTERNALS. DYNOED AT 229 WHP. 8.80 ON THE 1/8 OF A MILE A 80 MPH

I apologize in advance:
caps.gif

*sigh* So many doubters out there. My 2000 EX coupe-turbo ran 14.8 @ 95.XXmph.

Oh yea, that was with a 2.6xx 60 foot time. Do you think there's more in her? Yep! :p I'm just not used to the track. :D

--------------------------------

-92-95 Civic Apexi turbo kit
-VAFC
-450cc DSM injectors with resistor box
-Walbro 255lph hp in-tank pump
-ACT XTSS
-CM 7.5lb flywheel
-15x6.5 Konig Heliums on Kumho 711's
-NO INTERCOOLER, STOCk exhaust system

Back