speeding tickets suck

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khan

Village idiot
well, i just got a speeding ticket last night and a ticket for not wearing my seat belt. i was wearing the thing but i took it off to get my wallet out, fucking ass holes. the cop paced me at 65 in a 40 then i droped into 3rd b/c he was coming up fast...little did i know, the head lights were those of a cop :eek: .

is this thing fightable? i mean he paced me, no gun no nothing.

is you go to court and the cop is a no show, your ticket will be dismissed. the chances are usually 50/50. i hear its worth it if you dont mind spending half a day waiting for your turn in court, and it will keep the ticket off your record if its dismissed, so your insurance wont go up. if you get a chance, read the article in sport compact car about this. its the JDM fantasy issue with the green cover.

Fight it! He may not show or you may be able to plead to a lesser offense. (I'm a hazard to traffic in one township but it never went to state no points no insurance increase just a fine)

fight everything. the worst that happens is that you have to pay court fee (like $40) the orrig ticket. most the time, its lower... you relaly cant loose

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Oct 6 2002, 05:32 PM
if you dont do any changes to your insurence they wont know for a long time.

i make policy changes all the time.. adding, removing cars, changing deductibles.. hell i even had an accident and they still havent found out about my reckless ticket, speeding tickets, following too close, or failure to wear a seatbelt.. and my insurance didnt go up over that accident either and it was my fault. pretty weird.
i guess as long as i dont change insurance companies, i wont get screwed.

if he didn't actually get your speed with some type of devices like a radar or laser gun than you should definetly fight it. It very inaccuate to pace a vehicle. As B said the worst that can happen is you'll pay a reduced fine. and you'll be in the court house for a bit.

oh and there is a system called lidar, it's a way to pace a vehicle without the use of radar or laser, not widely used , and it's not that accurate

Originally posted by slohnda+Oct 7 2002, 03:49 AM-->
92CivicCx
@Oct 6 2002, 05:32 PM
if you dont do any changes to your insurence they wont know for a long time.

i make policy changes all the time.. adding, removing cars, changing deductibles.. hell i even had an accident and they still havent found out about my reckless ticket, speeding tickets, following too close, or failure to wear a seatbelt.. and my insurance didnt go up over that accident either and it was my fault. pretty weird.
i guess as long as i dont change insurance companies, i wont get screwed.

the same thing happened to me i got allstate. Anyways i was rackin up tickets when i first started driving and i got into an accident. I've never told my insurance. I've changed cars, change addresses, change policys, fuck ive even changed states. And it hasnt gone up. Besides it going up just cuz i moved out here. and ppl can drive out here.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Oct 6 2002, 05:23 PM
is you go to court and the cop is a no show, your ticket will be dismissed.

I was in court last week about my speeding ticket and there was a lawyer infront of me preparing a case and I asked him if the officer doesn't show up can I move for a dismissal. He said that they would probably send it to trial so that the officer can show up. It may be different in another state, I live in alabama.

here in va if the cop doesnt show, then its thrown out.. but did you know the time cops spend in court is considered overtime? so around here its pretty rare for the cop now to show <_<

I got pulled over by an animal control truck last year. He said he paced me at 60 MPH in a 35 zone. The entire time he followed me, he was tailgating me so close I couldn't even see his windshield. <_< So, naturally I fought the ticket. [There is nothing to lose, you get a chance to have your story heard, and in that case you can sometimes get let off. Or the officer doesn't show, and it's dismissed.] Well, story ends that the officer didn't show, since pacing people won't hold in court. After all, if they pace me... that means they're speeding too. In this case, you can fight the pacing with the fact that he came up on you really fast, so you must have been going slower than the cop.

animal control??? they gave u a ticket?? shouldnt they be catching dogs or something??? you shoulda said that.. i bet he woulda been pissed..

"umm officer, dont you have a animal to catch, or some road kill to scrape up?"

Originally posted by Liquidblaze+Oct 7 2002, 08:04 AM-->
rixXxceboy
@Oct 6 2002, 05:23 PM
is you go to court and the cop is a no show, your ticket will be dismissed.

I was in court last week about my speeding ticket and there was a lawyer infront of me preparing a case and I asked him if the officer doesn't show up can I move for a dismissal. He said that they would probably send it to trial so that the officer can show up. It may be different in another state, I live in alabama.

not on your first appearance about the ticket. when you go in, you have to plead "not guilty" then there is a trial set where the officer is subpeoned (sp?). i've fought almost every ticket i've gotten, (maybe 6?) and had only 1 cop show, and here in CA they get paid overtiime as well. what i would do is try to make the trial as far away in time as possible, that way there is better chance of the cop forgetting about you/losing his notes on you, and he will probably not show :)

Back