speedometer no longer works...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ahedau

I did a search before posting and my issue is different than what I found.

I have a '92 VX with a D16z6 that I autocross. Speedo worked perfectly in the VX.

I have a '94 DX with 230K miles that's a daily driver. The D15b7 gave up the ghost. While I'm rebuilding it, I wanted to keep driving the DX since it has a/c and Georgia summers are brutal.

So, I gave up auto-x for the season & took out the Z6 and put it in the DX. I swapped the entire engine harness on the Z6 & pinned the VTEC. I'm using the P28 that was in the VX. I even swaped the working cluster from the VX in the DX. All the gauges work except the speedometer. No speedo, no VTEC.

I'm also getting REALLY crappy mileage. I'm sure its running rich. Does the Z6 require a certain fuel pump?

injen has it, and the z6 doesnt require a specific fuel pump.

the VX i think had a 5 wire o2 so make sure you have the 4 wires required with the z6, I'm not sure if it would cause too many issues though.

Thanks y'all...

the engine harness was unhooked at the shock towers, not the individual components. The VSS worked for YEARS in the VX, but the instant I put the tranny in the DX, the speedo stopped.

I am getting a CEL but it only comes on when I am coasting. I can accelerate up to 7Krpm through all the gears and stay in the throttle in 5th with no CEL. A few seconds after coming off the throttle and letting the car coast -- boom -- CEL.

When I jump the service indicator with the car off and then turn the key on, no trouble codes.

any other ideas?

Back