STI top speed? Not impressive.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
battle- the worse part will be when honkey reads his retort... i have a feeling there's gonna be a nice rebuttal paragraph for him to read.

i quite like the honkey as a matter of fact. w00t :ji:

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel@Sep 1 2004, 01:17 PM
battle- the worse part will be when honkey reads his retort... i have a feeling there's gonna be a nice rebuttal paragraph for him to read.

[post=384776]Quoted post[/post]​

yah, well, was I wrong? it is gearing and redline that affects the cars top speed, so his dumbass remark is just him being a fucktard. oh and battle pope, i aint some young kid, and i've been on hondaswap longer than all of you guys, i just aint post whores like most of you which is why i have a low post count.

oh and i'm not trying to start a battle here because i know how honkey is, but i just think his dumbass comment was useless and retarded.

Originally posted by mattcalica+Sep 1 2004, 06:38 PM-->
StarBellieAngel
@Sep 1 2004, 01:17 PM

yah, well, was I wrong? it is gearing and redline that affects the cars top speed, so his dumbass remark is just him being a fucktard. oh and battle pope, i aint some young kid, and i've been on hondaswap longer than all of you guys, i just aint post whores like most of you which is why i have a low post count.
[post=384913]Quoted post[/post]​

OK, numbnuts, you want me to lace into you? Fine. Grab your ankles.

Top speed of a car has to do with MANY things. WAY more than just gearing and redline. If you'd take a second to use your fingers to do some searches on top speed, rather than to finger your asshole, you might come to the conclusion that aerodynamics has the most significant say in top speed. Now, I dunno about you, but I've read a few books, designed a few planes, and learned most of my aerodynamics from an ex- Lockheed engineer, who just happened to work on the U2 in the 60s. Basic rule of thum, dumb- dumb (hey, that rhymed!) is that to square the speed, you need to cube the power. IE- to go twice as fast, you need four times the HP. Yes, if your gears are so short, that you top out at 125 MPH at 7000 RPM, you don't need 400 HP to hit 125 MPH. However, most cars aren't that short, and most cars can't hit their redlines in 5th gear. Want to know why? I'll tell you why, numbnuts... it's the lack of power to overcome the aerodynamic drag. Or the lack of a clean shape to allow the HP to move the car faster. It's really quite simple. My Metro is geared to hit about 170 MPH in 5th gear. By your convoluted reasoning, it should be able to do that. Why doesn't it do it? Hm? Because it only has 55 HP, right? Right. Because it doesn't have enough fucking HP to overcome the aerodynamic drag. How come my 290 HP AllTrac won't do more than 165-ish MPH, even though it's geared to 177? Aerodynamic drag, or a lack of HP. Take your pick.

There's other wonderful things like rolling resistance, density altitude, and the like, but it's obvious that your brain can't handle those concepts, so I won't get into that, but rest assured, HP and the coefficient of drag have the most say in how fast a car will go.

Here's what you should be doing, rather than talking about shit you don't know:

:worthy: :ji:

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Sep 1 2004, 09:06 PM-->
Originally posted by mattcalica@Sep 1 2004, 06:38 PM
StarBellieAngel
battle-  the worse part will be when honkey reads his retort... i have a feeling there's gonna be a nice rebuttal paragraph for him to read.

Top speed of a car has to do with MANY things. WAY more than just gearing and redline. If you'd take a second to use your fingers to do some searches on top speed, rather than to finger your asshole, you might come to the conclusion that aerodynamics has the most significant say in top speed. Now, I dunno about you, but I've read a few books, designed a few planes, and learned most of my aerodynamics from an ex- Lockheed engineer, who just happened to work on the U2 in the 60s. Basic rule of thum, dumb- dumb (hey, that rhymed!) is that to square the speed, you need to cube the power. IE- to go twice as fast, you need four times the HP. Yes, if your gears are so short, that you top out at 125 MPH at 7000 RPM, you don't need 400 HP to hit 125 MPH. However, most cars aren't that short, and most cars can't hit their redlines in 5th gear. Want to know why? I'll tell you why, numbnuts... it's the lack of power to overcome the aerodynamic drag. Or the lack of a clean shape to allow the HP to move the car faster. It's really quite simple. My Metro is geared to hit about 170 MPH in 5th gear. By your convoluted reasoning, it should be able to do that. Why doesn't it do it? Hm? Because it only has 55 HP, right? Right. Because it doesn't have enough fucking HP to overcome the aerodynamic drag. How come my 290 HP AllTrac won't do more than 165-ish MPH, even though it's geared to 177? Aerodynamic drag, or a lack of HP. Take your pick.

There's other wonderful things like rolling resistance, density altitude, and the like, but it's obvious that your brain can't handle those concepts, so I won't get into that, but rest assured, HP and the coefficient of drag have the most say in how fast a car will go.

[post=384990]Quoted post[/post]​

:worthy: :worthy: TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY FUCKING :owned:

i think his particular comment was, as in "basic" physics class, we neglect friction and wind resistance alike. lol. of course that idea doesn't work in real life.

btw, that same concept of drag also applies in einsteinian physics. ppertaining to the "lack of ability to attain the speed of light" but thats different and the same.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Sep 1 2004, 10:06 PM
Aerodynamic drag, or a lack of HP. Take your pick.

Well, it's not just a "take your pick" situation, you should have said "aerodynamic drag AND lack of HP. Drag limit of a cars top speed is due to the areodynamics of the car. The only 2 ways to overcome the "drag" limit is to either make the car more areodynamic, or increase the power to overcome the aerodynamic drag. Of course, if your redlineing in fifth, then it doesn't matter, no matter what you do, you cant improve your top speed unless you lengthen your gears.

Areodynamic forces cause stuff like projectiles to stop accelerating and reaching a max velocity. This happens when the areodynamic forces equal the force of gravity, resulting in a net force of zero. A car that reaches its drag limit suffers from the same thing. When the force of the engine is equal to the sum of the opposing forces (mainly areodynamic drag, rolling resistance, ect) there is no longer any acceleration, so the velocity remains constant. If you increase the force of the engine, then you can accelerate to higher speeds, or if you reduce the aerodynamic drag, you can go faster with the same power. Finally, if you do both (increae engine force, and reduce drag) your speeds will increase even more.

And Ji, I am not correcting you, I am just adding to what you said.

Finally about the orginal topic. The top speed tells you nothing about the car. Topgear said it best. 0-60 times mean less and less every year. Any car can be made to go either REALLY fast or get up to speed fast, but the only thing that determines the real performance of the car is on a course that tests every aspect of the car, from acceleration, cornering, and braking. Take the STI on a road course, and you will see why the car is called a performance bargin.

welp my del sol with a .35 coefficient of drag, a frontal area of 21.4sq ft, weighing aproximatly 2690 with me in it, 189.5 whp, 23.1 tire diameter, 5th gear ratio of .787, final drive ratio of 4.785, pulling all the way to the 8500 RPM, travels at a speed of 155mph (ive been at about 152 with a few hundred RPMs to go, still pulling well)

given all of the aerodynamic and weight figures, while assuming a few factors on the conditions, about 202hp is required to reach that speed
estimating a 14% drive train loss 189.5whp puts me at about 220hp (more than enough to reach redline in 5th gear)

yeah... i was bored

^^^ sounds like it......lol..........good shit though.

but I will have to agree that this topic is fucking bogus, who gives a shit what the top speed is, it has no bearing on jack shit except for where the gearing runs out. simple as that. This isn't gran turismo people.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Sep 1 2004, 09:06 PM-->
Originally posted by mattcalica@Sep 1 2004, 06:38 PM
StarBellieAngel
battle-  the worse part will be when honkey reads his retort... i have a feeling there's gonna be a nice rebuttal paragraph for him to read.

alright, I am not going to say you're wrong, because you're not...I am not going to say that i know more than you, because i dont...i am just saying that gearing and redline are also important factors in a cars topspeed...Aerodynamics are important, but there are factors to it, unlike gearing and revs...depending on how strong the wind is on a certain day, you might be able to hit 150, another day, 145...If aerodynamics play such an important part in sub 200mph speeds, then why could my friend redline his crx in 5th? he was doing 155+ with a 119 horsepower engine and in my opinion, a crx is not the most aerodynamic car...Why was i able to top out my 93 accord at 130mph? stock motor...why did my friends prelude hit 160 on the freeway, while my friends integra type-r only hit 155? i think thats the best point i can make...aerodynamics become important at higher rates of speed...Loco, you are one of the best tech's on this forum, but i think in this debate, you are going too technical...i really think its the sti's gearing which holds it back...but arguments on the net are stupid, so i'll just shut up and let people think what they want to think.

Originally posted by mattcalica@Sep 2 2004, 01:55 AM

alright, I am not going to say you're wrong, because you're not...I am not going to say that i know more than you, because i dont...i am just saying that gearing and redline are also important factors in a cars topspeed...Aerodynamics are important, but there are factors to it, unlike gearing and revs...depending on how strong the wind is on a certain day, you might be able to hit 150, another day, 145...If aerodynamics play such an important part in sub 200mph speeds, then why could my friend redline his crx in 5th? he was doing 155+ with a 119 horsepower engine and in my opinion, a crx is not the most aerodynamic car...Why was i able to top out my 93 accord at 130mph? stock motor...why did my friends prelude hit 160 on the freeway, while my friends integra type-r only hit 155? i think thats the best point i can make...aerodynamics become important at higher rates of speed...Loco, you are one of the best tech's on this forum, but i think in this debate, you are going too technical...i really think its the sti's gearing which holds it back...but arguments on the net are stupid, so i'll just shut up and let people think what they want to think.
[post=385141]Quoted post[/post]​

Three words for ya:

Going down hill.

umm, parts were uphill parts were downhill...according to Loco's theory it wouldnt matter though...the drag would prevent them from going those speeds downhill...

update: did a little research

subaru STI: .33 drag coefficient, width 68.5
Honda Prelude: .33 drag coefficient, width 69.5

why is it that my friends honda prelude with 200 hp, can have a topspeed of 160 with the same amount of drag as a STI, yet the STI can only go 146, with 300 horses pulling it? hmmm, could gearing have something to do with it???

Originally posted by mattcalica@Sep 2 2004, 02:55 AM
i really think its the sti's gearing which holds it back
[post=385141]Quoted post[/post]​

i already said:
THE STI IS COMPUTER LIMITED AT 147 MPH

the STI with a tire diameter of 25", a 6th gear ratio of 0.756, a final drive ratio of 3.900 (2004 model), and a redline of 7000RPM is capable of a theoretiical top speed of 177mph without computer restriction

an STI has a .33 cd, a frontal area of 23.9 sq. ft., and weighs in at about 3470 (with a 170lb driver)

without computer restriction, it would require about 319.2hp to get an STI to 177mph
being that the STI has 300hp, without computer restriction, it could only reach 173.28 mph (aproximatly 6830 RPM)

so what have we learned here????
the computer limits the STI at 147mph... with no computer limiter the STI has a theoretical top speed of 177mph at redline in 6th gear... but the STI in stock form, without computer restriction, does not have either A.) enough horsepower, or B.) low enough drag, to pull itself all the way to redline in 6th gear, and thus falls slightly short at 173mph @ around 6830 RPM

the lotus elise is massively efficient drag design wise. itll pull till the end of its gears. thats a gear limited car. a chevy astro is a drag limited vehicle. mustangs are a computer limited vehicle.

you think drag doesn't matter at "lower speeds" try runnin your car at the track. and then put a grocery cart wing on it, and run it again. you'll see a difference, and i bet you arent goin anywhere near 200mph. lol

Lock this topic!!
Sorry to have started a topic like this. People fight for so little things...

This topic has gotten out of control. There will be no further discussion / argument.

Closed by a moderator.

:locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back