Stupid Tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ive been having some problems w/ my tranny. Yesterday i was driving and i went to third gear and sometimes it barely scratches but this time it was hardcore and it sounded like something broke off, it will go into every gear including 3rd but when its over 4 rpm is grinds really bad goin into 3rd but thats the only gear. And when i got to my friends house i was backing up and i put it in reverse and the clutch was still all the way to the ground but it went in gear and then it caught and it died but the clutch was still in. If anyone has any reasons to what could be wrong or anything please let me know
thanks

Sounds like your master or slave cylinder is out for your transmission so the clutch is not fully disengauging when you press the pedal. Both are fairly easy to replace, you need to bleed the system after you finish though.

Check for fluid puddles around the car when it's parked. Most likely it's your slave cylinder if you find puddles.

Check near your clutch pedal inside the car (where it hits the firewall) and see if you can find fluids there. If so, it's your master cylinder.

Also check your clutch fluid resevoir level to see if you're leaking.

Empty resivoir would be the easier/cheaper fix wouldn't it...
I am just not thinking htis morning, coffee hasn't hit...

No, that's not exactly what I meant. I meant that if his resevoir is empty/low, chances are one of his clutch cylinders has gone out, and THEN he can go out checking to see which one may be dead.

The coffee has definitely hit here, boss is gone today and a trip to Starbuck's was the first order of business for the office. :)

its not my slave or master cylinder, i replaced those about a month and a half ago. is it possible that i broke something or my clutch needs to be adjusted. it only grinds if im in 2nd goin to 3rd and im above 4000 rpm.

Back