suggestions on shocks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
ok well ive got a blown shock on the rex and i might as well replace them all since they are all kinda old anyway. now i want nice shocks, not some pieces of shit that either perform like shit or dont last for shit. im also looking for something that would be a nice combo with my springs (GC). i know koni yellows would be the best, but i dont have 500 to shell out on shocks. i was looking at tokico illuminas but im unsure as to how pleased i will be with the ride/performance. adjustability is also something i want. im really looking for performance over ride comfort but i dont want my car to be all bouncy and shit. any other suggestions on shocks?

also another thing i want to know is if there is a way to know what the spring rates are on my springs. i did not purchase them nor did i have them installed. like previously stated they are Ground Control coilovers. can i check the part number or anything? or are they on the spring itself?

this is not a thread for everyone to post up what their suspension setup is and how you like your shocks and blah blah blah. im looking for answers based on a more technical sense. also, while everyones opinion is appreciated, im more looking for answers from people who know a good bit about suspensions and what is good and what is not, not neccessarily going by how it looks or anything.

oh and if you are going to tell me to buy a "real" suspension like full coilovers or something, just keep it to yourself. im not made of money and i simply dont have it to spend at this point in time (not saying i wont go with full coilovers someday :) )

well thanks in advance for everyones and anyones advice/opinions/suggestions :)

KYB AGX's are good, affordable, and adjustable struts (not shocks ;) ) They are not made for a big drop (more than 1.5") and they also are not made for stiff springs. If your GC's arent that stiff though, and your not that low, theyll offer a great ride.

The Tokiko's, AGX's and Yellows are really your only three options. The the koni reds are adjustable, but you have to dissassemble them in order to adjust them. As you know, the yellows are the best of the bunch, and are valved more for a stiffer spring. But if you GCs turn out to be on the softer side, the AGXs should hold up just fine.

i found out the rates, 400 front, 250 rear. thats about 7.1k/4.5k. i dont really know how stiff or soft that is. i dunno, im just iffy on the AGX thing, they seem like a cheap shock that wouldnt offer much performance, and make the ride shitty. if im wrong please tell me, thats just how it seems...

thanks so far.

From what i heard the agx is nothing more then a semi-beefed up stock shock. Now thats only what ive been told, so if anyone has more info on it i would like to know as well. Sorry for the thread jacking.

Im running Illuminas on 350#FR/450#RR custom rate GCs. The ride quality is fine and they handle well. The only caveat is that you have to run the Illuminas between 3 and 5 or they can not control spring rebound adequately. This does make the adjstment range smaller, but for the money they do a great job even with these spring rates. I would recommend some sort of upper mount to increase shock travel though, as there tends to be only a couple inches of travel on most setups(except for shortened konis of course). HT article on modifying your upper shock mounts for increased travel, which I will be doing to mine on Sunday.

Back