Supercharging A B18c1

Jackson racing or Vortech, for daily driving and drag, maybe a lil autox but not much.

• Vortech(8 or 9p

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Integra1990

im aware of the argument that vortech has lag, but makes more top end power blablabla, but all im thinkin about is #1 wether turbo or SC(im leanin both ways, but the reason for not turbo is that sc seems so much easier to maintain and work with), and #2 what to go with. I kno that this will bring up the issue of LS/t vs vtec/t, but from what i read i came away still wanting vtec, that and vortech doesnt mak a sc'er for b18b's, although jackson racing does. the deal is i might be autoxing a little, but its not my top priority, drag is. so if i could get some opinions id lik them...

there was a vid on clusi a while back... drag- vortec vs JRSC stock for stock 99 si's for the most part. the jrsc si won by a couple cars.

jrsc gets my vote of the 2
turbo gets my vote of the 3

awsome, i was hopin id get ur opinion, although that confuses me bc ive read that jrsc gives the USDM gsr 208 hp on 6psi, and that the vortech unit on i think 9 psi gives the USDM gsr 243 hp...

Originally posted by Integra1990@Jan 18 2003, 01:49 PM
awsome, i was hopin id get ur opinion, although that confuses me bc ive read that jrsc gives the USDM gsr 208 hp on 6psi, and that the vortech unit on i think 9 psi gives the USDM gsr 243 hp...

How the power band looks is just as important as peak power- 240hp isn't worth anything if you only get it for a second at redline... the JRSC may have less peak horsepower, but it makes more power down low where you need it. I would ship a JRSC to Endyn and let Larry play with it, then bolt it up and make just as much power as the JRSC. I watched an otherwise stock (I/E) 99-00 Si pull 230whp on the dyno with an Endyn massaged JRSC, and that was on the low boost pulley too. Crank up the boost, and you'll get even more power.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jan 18 2003, 03:23 PM

How the power band looks is just as important as peak power- 240hp isn't worth anything if you only get it for a second at redline... the JRSC may have less peak horsepower, but it makes more power down low where you need it.

ok, if that is true, and for the sake of argument, then why is turbo that much better than jrsc? if u need the power down low not up top lik the vortech offers, then y is there such a strong argument for turbo over sc?

cuz a turbo makes a shit load of power per psi :)

10 psi on a t3 60-1 will own the shit out of a vortech power range.

im partial as I owned a jrsc powered SI. The torque/power on demand is unmatchable. A roots type blower will ALWAYS make more power down low than a centrifugal blower. My civic dynoed at 193 / 138 all on the stock 6psi kit. The car also ran a 13.81 @ 96 mph. Plus the ease of installation over the vortech is unmatched.

As for sending ANYTHING to Endyn...I dont think so! A good buddy of mine sent his m62 blower (si/R kit blower from jr) to get over worked by Larry, and he saw no dyno gain whatsoever, even running a 12lb pulley, so he figured that he wasted 1200 bucks....

you really need to do your research on the jackson racing setup man. I've heard that the jackson racing name was bought by the company that markets the supercharger yet it's actually made by the parent company "jackson racing" and that neither will vouch for the other's warranty if the charger starts to leak or the bearing start to wear...

basically I've heard it's a cluster fuck if you try to get it fixed or replaced....so definitely call and ask at both places and such...there's a big huge horror story about what happened to some guy with his somewhere around but I can't find it right now...

just fyi is all...

-stackz

ok
i know i just came in to this conversation but yet i have a buddy that just put a jrsc on his gsr. he has intake header exhaust p28 computer from skunk2. keep in mind i drive his car alot i work on it for him. i drove it when he got this jrsc on and it blew my mind with a difference. on a 6psi pulley he runs a 13.17. it has low power which is good and bad. low good low power for him is that he gets off the line fast but he spins the tires at about 6 grand in first with a gradual pedle and in second with barely any throttle he will spin second all the way through and if he wants to he can get third hardcore, now from what i hear with votec is that you only get your good hp gain at the last thousand rpms other than that you really dont tell that much . that is my opinon go with jrsc
:blink:

Originally posted by stackz@Jan 19 2003, 02:29 PM
you really need to do your research on the jackson racing setup man. I've heard that the jackson racing name was bought by the company that markets the supercharger yet it's actually made by the parent company "jackson racing" and that neither will vouch for the other's warranty if the charger starts to leak or the bearing start to wear...

basically I've heard it's a cluster fuck if you try to get it fixed or replaced....so definitely call and ask at both places and such...there's a big huge horror story about what happened to some guy with his somewhere around but I can't find it right now...

just fyi is all...

-stackz

jackson racing uses eaton blowers. So doesnt Mercedes, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury...Jackson is the company that took pieces, fabbed them up and put them into a kit. And as far as that story, that was like back in 1995, and the guy that wrote that made it into this elaborate story. Moss Motors (JR) has one of the best Customer Service Depts in the industry. I have dealt with them on a personal, as well as a business level and their service remained top notch as far as I am concerned. Hell, when i first put my charger on the FMU was funktafied, I called JR, and they had one at my door the NEXT day. Not even 24 hours later, the car was running like a champ, and I have them to thank for their great cs as well as their technical background.

Props to JR

Plus, be on the lookout for an intercooler/aftercooller setup for the JR kits. It will knock the socks off the Vortech kit anyday when its cooled.

all I said was do your research...I wasn't coming down on them so thanks for nailing me to the cross and all, I appreciate that...

how the hell can you get an intercooler/aftercooler on an intake mounted supercharger??

after the corkscrews you've literally got like 4 inches of intake runner before the compression chamber so there's not much room to mount an aftercooler unless you design a new manifold where the cooler is integral and then you bolt the sc on top of that...

as for an intercooler...that won't have much effect on a corkscrew type supercharger as it won't "cool" the cold air from outside much before being sucked in...a centrifugal is different as you can route the piping before and aft of the charger itself...

but then again god knows what these guys are up to..

-stackz

What do you know...FMIC'd JRSC :)

jrscic1.jpg

what is that break in the intercooler return line?? does it use a modified lower intake like I thought it would have to?? I only ask as the return line apparently attaches underneath/midways of the supercharger itself...

I can't imagine how much they want for this upgrade as it looks like you not only pay for the intercooler and piping....but also the modified lower intake...

also, where is the boost pressure measured at...I only ask due to the length of the tubing required, the factory boost will diminish as the charger is pushing airflow over a much long tubing setup than previously as un-intercooled before it actually gets into the combustion chamber??

dont' get me wrong...I'm honestly interested as I've been trying to decide whether to t3 or jc my 98 ex...so take this in stride...

-stackz

p.s upon closer inspection I see TWO breaks in the piping...looks like the one under the strut tower brace feeds vaccum/boost pressure to the fuel pressure regulator?? but I can't tell wtf the one closer to the charger does...

the breaks are there as it was a piece by piece piping kit. I dont know where he is measuring his boost from, I had mine measuring from the brake booster vacuum line, and was probably the most reliabe reading spot.

The entire intercooler setup is a one off, custom made. He said it cost him about 2000 but thats because he did all the install, measuring, fab himself.

As for the manifold, Its the same JR manifold, same position, what he did was put a 1" aluminum spacer wedged between the charger and the blower with an inlet to allow the boosted air in.

As far as your car is concerned, your better off doing a custom turbo setup rather than the jr if your going for peak hp/tq numbers, the sohc jr kits have yet to impress me.

Back