Suspension Upgrades: What is worth the $ for

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gallery_31005_76_12865.jpg

These are my TEIN SS. I'm just reaffirming your choice to go with these. They have been the single best mod on my car, and a great street coilover.

About the ride quality and you killing your back while driving: yes, these can get that stiff, but that's why you have dampening adjustment. I honestly barely ever turn them up, unless I'm going lapping. Cliche comment: On the stiffest setting, these hurt my back, especially on bumpy roads. On the softest setting they're almost softer than stock. Keep in mind that the spring rates are only 390F 180R.

I wouldn't worry much about frame ties for now. A simple front strut tie and a rear sway bar will be all you need for street/light track. And I agree with Brian...they're pretty much all the same things. And the DC ones are some of the better units I've seen Because they're made from billet steel, not aluminum.

Here's the TEIN SS on my hatch:

gallery_31005_462_37257.jpg

Originally posted by confusatron+Sep 8 2005, 01:18 AM-->
@Sep 8 2005, 01:16 AM
Yes, it's all worth it.... and they will all improve ride and handling in just about every aspect- but it all depends on what YOU call an "improvement". The better way to phrase a question would be to lay out what your goal/target for the car is in terms of handling, and what your budget is for suspension modification.
[post=551242]Quoted post[/post]​

id like a smoother, less clunky ride, with firm handling and good cornering, especially in the rear
[post=551244]Quoted post[/post]​

KYB AGX struts with H&R Springs = :drool:

AGX's are cheeply priced and they ride well, not to mention the 5way adjustablility on the front and 8way rear's.

I got KYB AGX's 4 way all the way around and skunk 2 springs...pretty stiff...but its not so stiff that my back hurts...handles alright if I had some good tires other then my steelies and all season tires :p and I got a cheapo front strut bar...either my bar is twisted or my chassis is...and I think my chassis is becuase I noticed that they welded up my trunk...so I think it got rear ended...good to know after I bought the car :(

Originally posted by confusatron@Sep 17 2005, 09:07 PM
What would you recommend for a rear shock tower tie bar, or other upper rear bars of some kind?
[post=556073]Quoted post[/post]​

A good quality solid bar with no joints in it.

I'm definitely NOT going with the Tein SSs as I don't have a grand or so to throw down. The Tein basic dampers are affordable, but I don't know if they're worth the $700.

http://www.inlinefour.com/twincamtech/neusgr2com.html

Anyone have any thoughts on this combo? I don't really want to lower my ride. It's low enough for me as it is. I'd like to maintain the ride height, or a maximum of maybe an inch lowering. This combo is nice and comfortable price wise.

Originally posted by confusatron@Sep 18 2005, 08:33 PM
I was just googling for AGXs and H&R springs, and it led me to TireRack.com.com. The price for a set of four of each adds up to about $650.
[post=556392]Quoted post[/post]​

Search around.

if i were you i would buy the springs & struts separately since you could pry get a good deal that way (i got my H&R's for $200 and AGX's arent more than 340 - 375 for the set).

I have not checked this site but they usually have good deals. www.optauto.com

Originally posted by Cashizslick+Sep 18 2005, 08:46 PM-->
confusatron
@Sep 18 2005, 08:33 PM
I was just googling for AGXs and H&R springs, and it led me to TireRack.com.com. The price for a set of four of each adds up to about $650.
[post=556392]Quoted post[/post]​

Search around.

if i were you i would buy the springs & struts separately since you could pry get a good deal that way (i got my H&R's for $200 and AGX's arent more than 340 - 375 for the set).

I have not checked this site but they usually have good deals. www.optauto.com
[post=556396]Quoted post[/post]​

That's pretty much the price at TireRack.com.

Got my neuspeed lower rear tie bar, ebay strut bar, and korbach frame locks today in the mail.

Calesta, once again you are dead on right. That ebay strut bar, the way it's designed, it's not going to stop any body roll. It might tie the two towers together weakly, but that's about it. I'm gonna have to break down and shell out the cash for the neuspeed upper bar.

I'm kind of excited about the frame locks, based on the reviews they've gotten.

I found a decent deal on H&R sport springs/KYB AGX shocks (struts?) on ebay from a company called Kuruma Motoring. About $520 shipped for all. Tempted...

ebay is the best place for the agxs i got mine for 315 shipped like 3 mo ago

Originally posted by confusatron@Sep 20 2005, 01:20 PM
Calesta, once again you are dead on right. That ebay strut bar, the way it's designed, it's not going to stop any body roll. It might tie the two towers together weakly, but that's about it. I'm gonna have to break down and shell out the cash for the neuspeed upper bar.
[post=557190]Quoted post[/post]​

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by confusatron@Sep 20 2005, 02:20 PM
I found a decent deal on H&R sport springs/KYB AGX shocks (struts?) on ebay from a company called Kuruma Motoring. About $520 shipped for all. Tempted...
[post=557190]Quoted post[/post]​

i bought my agx's from them. they're good to deal with. i had no problems and their prices are pretty good.

Originally posted by Blanco@Sep 21 2005, 06:57 PM
I've got H&R Sport Springs with KYB GR2 struts, on my girl's '90 hatch, the ride is the shit and only cost about $400 shipped. I got the springs for $140 shipped and the struts for something like $250 shipped, both brand new. You will feel the road with these springs, though. It's a good setup for mostly daily driving and my girl loves it. And I hit about 15 miles of twisties with it twice a week.
[post=558032]Quoted post[/post]​

So I'm getting the impression that upgrading my springs will give me better handling/cornering, but the sacrifice is that the ride becomes more uncomfortable over bumpy roads, and that's just the price you pay for better handling?

Also, when I get my springs, should I get springs for a 92-95 civic, or for a 94-01 integra, due to the heavier B16 motor I got in there?

For sale- hasn't been priced yet, but yeah- everything's for sale. PM me on this. Good condition- yes- there are a few scratches here and there, but no functional damage. I think the "Neuspeed" letters (stickers) aren't all perfectly lined up anymore, but it's pretty close.

ive got AGx/H&R combo on the mirage. the setup cost me $660 shipped from TireRack.com.

shocks/springs/braces do well for handling. for that extra oomph and quick turn-in, get a big rear sway bar. that will change the handling of the vehicle drastically though.

im shortly going to bolt up a GSR rear sway bar onto my mirage. it fits :) and it was much cheaper than a 20mm whiteline bar.

I'm all but definite now about going with stock 94 Integra coils and KYB AGX shocks. I don't want to lower my car at all, and I think the OEM springs will be better quality than the other ones. Plus the teg springs, being that they're set to support a lot more weight in the front end than the civic, will handle the extra front end weight from the B16A engine better than civic springs.

The KYB AGXs will allow me to adjust the softness of the ride, which is beautiful. I found another vendor on Ebay selling a set for $316 shipped. I just hope the acura springs are cheaper than the aftermarket ones. That would be nice.

I'm waiting to see if it stops raining this afternoon to decide whether or not to try and install the Korbach frame locks today.

Originally posted by Blanco@Sep 26 2005, 02:24 AM
BMW uses H&R springs on their cars, so I'd go out on a limb and say that they're probably better than Honda's springs.

If you keep your eye out, you can probably find a set of either H&R or Neuspeed OEM Sport Springs for the same price as the Sport Springs. The OEM Sport only lower .5" and do offer better handling than the OEM springs.
[post=560376]Quoted post[/post]​

I did not know that. Well shit if they're on a beemer they're probably a hell of a lot better eh?

HA! I just talked to a local Acura dealer about some OEM Integra LS springs. They want $412 for the set of four. fuckin joke.

Aftermarket = WIN.

Back