synthetic oil? 80,000mi

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cxnsi

my accord has 80,000 mi on it. im currently using synthetic oil, but i want to switch. a tech at walmart told me i have to keep using synthetic unless i do an engine flush. any advice/idea? what kind of oil is best to use with an 00 accord 80,000mi?

I don't see any reason to switch. In fact, at that mileage, synth is probably going to be better for your engine.

The tech is sorta right....you're not supposed to switch back and forth at random. If you're going to switch to dino oil, stick with it.

Anyway, yeah...Mobil 1 is awesome. OEM filters are good, I'm also incredibly happy with the NAPA Gold (Wix) filters.

I've only heard of two reasons when synthetic is bad (someone can add if they know them)
1.) New motors, need a certain amount of friction to break everything in correctly
2.) OLD motors / motors burning oil, the decreased friction of synthetic will actually cause you to use up more oil as it more readily flows past worn rings

So I would say stick to the full syn, its a little bit more, but your engine will thank you for it. I also run honda filters, they are not that much more than others (I think they are a little over $5 a piece at a dealer).

one reason its not a good idea to switch to synthetic in high mileage engines is because synthetic oils are made up of smaller, evenly sized molecules compared to regular oil. this will cause any leaks you have to leak even more.

but on the positive side, synthetic oil lasts longer because it resists viscosity breakdown better. thats why alot of new cars recommend oil changes between 5 to 10k miles.

yea, my motor is indeed running mobil 1 synthetic oil with a supertech (walmart generic) oil filter. 'Precinate (appreciate:) it guys!

humm that would explain why i burn oil. haha it makes so much sense now.

Back