Tax Season 2016

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

One last question. My forms are carbon copies (5 in a set) how many copies do I keep, how many do I send the person and how many do I sen the IRS?

O and the top of the 1099 misc is red ink (two forms to a page) do I need to fill it out twice for each person or is each half for a different person?
As far as I know the gov't receives one copy of the red 1096 and one copy of each red 1099.
The recipient should receive at least one copy of the 1099, I do not think it is required that you send the recipient multiple copies. The issuer should also keep a copy.
If you have 5 copies, the red one goes to uncle sam, a black one stays with you, and you can send the rest to the recipient.

Each half is for a different person.

As a new homeowner, what, if any tax credits are out there for betterments/improvements to the home? We did not do much last year but will probably spend a significant amount ($50,000-$100,000) in bettering our property this year.
Depending on AGI phase outs the only available credits are related to energy efficient property placed in service in the current year. Each year they change what qualifies and for how much.
Last year the credit was limited to a total of $500, and the lifetime limit was also $500.
I would have to look up if this is still active for 2016 (not sure this legislation is through yet).
You should keep track of all expenses related to these improvements as they increase the cost basis in your home for when you sell it.
If you keep the home for 30 years you are going to need all this documentation when you sell it to back up whether you have to pay capital gains etc.

There may be a credit for solar energy producing improvements but the last I had heard that was being phased out.

What is the deal with "Sales tax deduction"? I've obviously spent more on taxes than my $1050 dollars being estimated by the "Easy Guide". If I spent $40,000 on stuff throughout the year (I spent $10,000 in December alone paying for car repairs, vacation, etc. (i didn't buy anything while i was an intern and had savings, i'm not rich. lol)) at 9.6% sales tax, that's a $3840 break. Which yields me a greater return. But I don't have receipts for every tank of gas, cup of coffee, and dinner meals.

So should I estimate 9.6% of the money I spent this year or just use the easy guide? It's a difference of about $500 in my return.

What is the deal with "Sales tax deduction"? I've obviously spent more on taxes than my $1050 dollars being estimated by the "Easy Guide". If I spent $40,000 on stuff throughout the year (I spent $10,000 in December alone paying for car repairs, vacation, etc. (i didn't buy anything while i was an intern and had savings, i'm not rich. lol)) at 9.6% sales tax, that's a $3840 break. Which yields me a greater return. But I don't have receipts for every tank of gas, cup of coffee, and dinner meals.
So should I estimate 9.6% of the money I spent this year or just use the easy guide? It's a difference of about $500 in my return.

I will tell you what I tell my clients, you can write off anything you want... until you get caught.

Its probably worth the gamble to get the higher refund, assuming you will be able to sleep at night and not worry about a letter from the IRS for the next 3 years, or have any kind of legal proceedings that might bring your return under additional scrutiny (Divorce, immigration, child support, etc are all factors to consider)

That being said, the outflows of money is not a good estimator for sales tax. I am not sure about in WA, but in NY things like unprepared foods (groceries) and clothing under a certain dollar limit do not have sales tax.
Also, I believe the sales tax you can deduct is strictly related to sales tax paid within the US. If you took a vacation to a foreign country a portion of that sales tax would likely not be deductible because it was paid to a foreign country.
I'm not an expert in this area. We typically just use the automatically calculated numbers unless someone has a big purchase like a car that they paid a lump sum of sales tax.
If you were ever audited you would have to substantiate the sales tax you claimed with receipts. CC statements are not sufficient proof. If you could not substantiate then you would either owe the tax, or get a tax attorney to argue your case in tax court if the examining auditor does not accept your argument that I spent 40,000 last year so I should be able to claim 9.6% of that for sales tax. If you are audited over this ($500) its not going to be worth the hourly charge of either an accountant or an attorney, so you will be looking at a self defense and likely just paying the money to make it go away.

Is the juice worth the squeeze? Its a roll of the dice.
Under funded and under staffed IRS = audit rates at an all time low (less than 1%). What's their potential recovery vs time spent on this audit. The IRS works on recoverable tax dollars per hour, same concept as any business, except they can levy your assets and try to put you in jail.

I've been audited...twice. lol

1) My own taxes. When I was a financial advisor I had several write offs for being a 1099 employee. That raised a red flag. Easily resolved. I paid some back taxes, but it wasn't much. I had receipts for almost everything. I think I paid based on miscalculating mileage.

2) I did my ex-girlfriends taxes when we were still together. She sold some stock and didn't tell me about the sale since she lost about $5,000 on it. She sold $20,000 in stock she bought for $25,000. The IRS had the sale of $20,000 but didn't have the cost basis, so it looked like she made $20,000 in profit. That was cleared up pretty easily as well.

I'll take a look and see what makes sense. For stuff like amazon, i have digital receipts. the vacation, auto repairs, and everything else that was of a larger purchase, i think i still have records. I'll definitely check the math. I don't care to get audited again if i can avoid it.

Not exactly a tax question, but I was reading through some of this IRA stuff on my account and this was on there.

* You can contribute up to $5,500 per year for 2015 or 2016 (or $6,500 per year if you are age 50 or older at the end of the year) to all your IRA accounts combined, including myRA, depending on your income.

Even if you opened 2 or more Roth IRA accounts like this, you can only contribute 5500 a year total between all of them?

That is correct. You can only contribute $5500 per year to a ROTH, or IRA, combined total.
Not $5500 to a Roth and $5500 to a IRA. Not $5500 to each account. One shot total for the year.

That is correct. You can only contribute $5500 per year to a ROTH, or IRA, combined total.
Not $5500 to a Roth and $5500 to a IRA. Not $5500 to each account. One shot total for the year.
because, you know, god forbid you save more than $5500/year in a tax sheltered fund.

Think about that for a minute. The government will only allow you to invest $5500 in a Roth so that you are forced to pay taxes on other account capital gains. Roths should be unlimited. It's post-tax dollars. The government shouldn't be in the business of making money off of taxing money from retirement acocunts or forcing you to invest in taxable accounts. $110,000 saved over a 20 year period really isn't that much of a "retirement fund". If you retire at 60 and die at 80, you only get to spend a few hundred bucks a month from that account.

The reason is not the taxing (well, i guess it is) but it's more about the min required distribution differences.

The reason is not the taxing (well, i guess it is) but it's more about the min required distribution differences.

Which is there because of taxes and estate planning. The investor gets screwed, because of taxes. Lol

I'm screwed this year.

Got married, bought a house, business actually made a profit, and we got some serious gifts from her parents. On top of that, she's self-employed, and the tax information from her employer is in her maiden name.

Gifts are not taxable if under the exclusion limit, and not taxable to the recipient even if it is over the exclusion limit.
Self employed people don't have "employers".
Depending on when she changed her name with the SSA, or IF she changed her name with the SSA, you will probably have to file with her maiden name or the e-file will be rejected.
Name and SSN must match the SSA/IRS master file which I believe is compiled sometime in December.
If its rejected you can just change the name and re-submit. At least that how we handle it.
Good Luck, sounds like a fun tax return.

Yeah, I'm half tempted to just bring all the paperwork in and pay someone to do it.

Wedding gifts totaled somewhere around 42k. So, yeah. No one single gift was above 25k though, so there's that.

The annual federal gift tax exclusion allows you to give away up to $14,000 in 2015 to as many people as you wish without those gifts counting against your $5 million lifetime exemption.
An individual can give you each 14,000, so 28,000 total in a year without tax consequences.
In a perfect world, of the 25k gift, you would want one check made out to you for 12.5k and one made out to her for 12.5k, so you both fall under the 14k limit.

Because of your situation with a business and your wife being self employed, it is imperative that you keep adequate records for all gifts. The first thing they are going to ask for if you get audited is your bank statements and then you will have to explain why your deposits are so much higher than your reported income.

The Internal Revenue Service said Wednesday evening its tax-processing systems have suffered a hardware failure and that tax processing could be affected into Thursday.

“The IRS experienced a hardware failure this afternoon affecting a number of tax processing systems, which are currently unavailable,” said the IRS. “Several of our systems are not currently operating, including our modernized e-file system and a number of other related systems. The IRS is currently in the process of making repairs and working to restore normal operations as soon as possible. We anticipate some of the systems will remain unavailable until tomorrow.”

lol.

SOOOOO glad i already did my returns, and already received my money.

I wish it was that easy for me. I didn't get my last W-2 until Monday. I couldn't even file until then. I'm still waiting on my stock brokerage 1099.

I have too many documents and accounts.
2 w-2
3 1099-div
2 1099-int
1 1098-t
1 1099-sa
2 1098-e
1 1098-r

And I'm sure I'm missing something.

Yeah, I'm boring. i don't do anything special, i didn't get married, i didn't buy a house, i don't own a business, etc.

I get all my docs electronically. I had them all available by mid-January. e-filed everything through turbo tax which imported everything for me. done and done.

Yeah, I'm boring. i don't do anything special, i didn't get married, i didn't buy a house, i don't own a business, etc.
I don't have any of those either. lol

I switched jobs, have stock accounts, student loans, 2 bank accounts, and an hsa at my old job. Taxes are annoying.

Back