Tax Season 2017

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

#richpeopleproblems :D

i'm at 2. :(
i'm at 2 as well. stupid employee stock purchase plan killed my refund because it's not taxed, it's filed through the broker firm.

i'm at 2 as well. stupid employee stock purchase plan killed my refund because it's not taxed, it's filed through the broker firm.
More #richpeopleproblems

The new company I'm at has ESPP. I haven't been able to use one since I was at Symantec like 4 years ago. I'm maxing that fucker out. Love that ESPP lyfe.

Isn't yours post tax dollars? Unless your look back is a long period or your stock fluctuates like crazy, shouldn't be that much.

More #richpeopleproblems

The new company I'm at has ESPP. I haven't been able to use one since I was at Symantec like 4 years ago. I'm maxing that fucker out. Love that ESPP lyfe.

Isn't yours post tax dollars? Unless your look back is a long period or your stock fluctuates like crazy, shouldn't be that much.
Correct, it's post-tax dollars. Our look back period is 6 months. We get 15% off the lower of the first or last day of the period. In October our purchase was at $136. May 1st our stock was at $103 so we bought stock at $88. I had an immediate 54% gain on 15% of my take home dollars. I sold half to keep some gains. So my taxes suck this year.

Reactions: B16
Just be sure they aren't running that gain through your payroll already.
I just had to file 2 amended returns for a guy that had the gain reported and taxed through his payroll/W2, and then he reported the capital gain as it appeared on the 1099 with no adjustment to basis.

Just be sure they aren't running that gain through your payroll already.
I just had to file 2 amended returns for a guy that had the gain reported and taxed through his payroll/W2, and then he reported the capital gain as it appeared on the 1099 with no adjustment to basis.
yep, that's the confusion on box 14 i was referring to earlier. etrade has the gains as well, so i'll have to make sure uncle sam isn't going to double dip. lol

If the gain was already run through your payroll there would have been tax withholding including income tax, SS and Medicare withholding.
You should have received statements from your employer stating this.
If this is the case you use adjustment code O on form 8949 and adjust the basis (or reduce the gain) so you are not taxed twice on the same income.

If the gain was already run through your payroll there would have been tax withholding including income tax, SS and Medicare withholding.
You should have received statements from your employer stating this.
If this is the case you use adjustment code O on form 8949 and adjust the basis (or reduce the gain) so you are not taxed twice on the same income.
ugh, what a pain in the ass. i enjoy the money, but this february 16th for docs is annoying.

ugh, what a pain in the ass. i enjoy the money, but this february 16th for docs is annoying.
Why aren't you hiring an accountant with all these cheddar your making? Take a break and leave it to the pro.

Why aren't you hiring an accountant with all these cheddar your making? Take a break and leave it to the pro.
Ha! I wish I made that much money. I'm still just a peasant. If it wasn't the stupid stock options, i'd be fine.

I'm sending mine off to a professional. I have too much chit going on to even think about attempting it myself this year.

I'm sending mine off to a professional. I have too much chit going on to even think about attempting it myself this year.
Like taking pictures of your baller cars? lol

I think I got screwed, had to be forced to rollover a 401K, and I had a loan out on it. If you can come to CT, I'll supply you with all the beer you can drink while going over my taxes.

ouch.

how long ago was it? usually you get a grace period to pay off the loan with another loan (eg, take a personal loan out to pay it back), but after that, it shows up as a distribution before retirement age, which = income tax + 10% penalty

With B on this one, you usually get a grace period to repay a loan. If you did not repay during the grace period then you might be up the creek without a paddle.
Depending on the size of the loan this might be a significant tax hit.

How can you have a forced rollover? Unless the company closed the plan provider, then there should be repayment options available. I'd definitely talk to a tax guy and 401k provider.

his company was sold to another parent company... UTC to Lokheed Martin. They probably made him close out of the old owner's plan and into the new one.

yup
had a $22.6K loan out on 401K, company got sold, had to pay more each month that I couldn't afford, so cleared the loan and rolled over the remaining balance which was after the loan getting paid off was $109K.
Made $123K this year, but had to have an operation so I collected comp for $4700 for 2 months. My income was nearly over $250Ks...which made me look cool, til taxes came.

That's definitely a big tax hit. Income tax rate + 10% penalty.

What I suspect may happen, if you are past the 60 day repayment window, you'll have to foot the bill for the income tax and the 10% penalty. You can set up a plan with the IRS. If you are still within the 60 day window, I'd do everything I can to scrounge up as close to that $22.6k as possible and deposit it into a retirement. Even if it's a signature loan at 5-10%. (assuming you can repay quickly)

IRS payment: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/payment-plans-installment-agreements
Turbotax answer: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2...ance-distribution-took-place-at-591-2-yrs-old
U.S. news article: http://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/articles/2014/06/09/the-risks-of-taking-a-401-k-loan

WTF, so the state of CA thinks for some reason I paid only $4,000 in state tax last year when my W-2's tell me I paid $14,800. They are saying I owe them $2,000 instead of them owing me $5,000. I need to call them next week to straighten this out. What a pain in the ass...

Back