The End

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

djextremity

Anyone who's anyone in the gaming world knows what SHGL is. Southern Hills Golfland, the 'fighting game capital of the world.' http://shoryuken.com/apex/?division=spacif...fic&arcade=shgl

It's a 'shithole' that everyone knows and LOVES, both as a hangout and as an international tournament center.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=shgl+tournament

And tonight, after 30 someodd years of operation, thanks to the dickheads atop corporate America, it closed its doors forever, soon to be converted into a nice apartment complex.
http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread...15&pagenumber=1

I was there for the close, and let me tell you it was one of the most emotional events a group of adults has ever gone through. There were hugs, exchanges of phone numbers, and even a champagne toast atop the old air hockey table. This small arcade/mini-golf course will sorely be missed, within the gaming community, Orange County, and by all of the 'regulars' that frequented this 'Mecca' and became national champions.

The marquee board in front read tonight
'SHGL CLOSING DEC 17
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES'
and the memories will be sorely missed.
RIP Southern Hills Golfland

Check out the forums link, it is a TWELVE PAGE thread about the closing of this haven for coin-op gamers...browse it to get an idea of the NATIONWIDE shockwaves this is causing..

Cliffs: A local arcade which is known WORLDWIDE (we're talking even in the top gaming country, Japan) just closed down because of greedy owners who sold it the land to an apartment company. The arcade has produced many international gaming champions (ever heard of Alex Valle?), and tonight was its last night.

i'm into some gaming... like unreal tournament and quake and shit like that.

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Dec 18 2002, 08:16 AM
:werd: I like Unreal Champ. for Xbox Live

PC games on PC >>>> PC games on consoles :D :lol:

dj- I'm sad to hear that... I didn't know it was closing down- I've been out of the arcade scene for a while. I still have a bunch of DDR tournament videos from there though.

:D

Nah, the voice cummincator r0x0rz with Xbox, you can talk shit while u fry some guy in the head.

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Dec 18 2002, 09:39 AM
Nah, the voice cummincator r0x0rz with Xbox, you can talk shit while u fry some guy in the head.

So does the voice comm headset for the PC. :lol:

Well, I got a Xbox with Xbox Live sharing my cable modem via router with a P4 2.0 Ghz 640 MB RAM! :owned:

Mike - It's actually a very recent happening..the talks started less than 2 months ago, the sale was finalized less than a month ago, the city approved the rezoning 2 weeks ago, but the buyer fell through. The original closing date was last Saturday, but since there was no buyer there was no reason to close! But corporate said that they had to close down last night, no exceptions. I'm glad at least someone knows about this place...=/ If you want more on the story, I can tell you what's going on in PMs.

AFI - Don't get Mike started on computers..lol

Back