The Rebuild Is Finally Getting Close

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
This weekend I have pretty much assembled the bottom end. I spent yesterday plastigauging everything and then installed the crank. Today the pistons went in and all the pumps were bolted up. I am getting pretty excited now. I am in the process of putting together a write up (with pics). I will post some pictures when I get the film developed (too poor to own a digi cam). I hope to get the head put together today so I can clay the engine next weekend. If all goes well I should be driving the car again in a week. :crosses fingers:

Nice dood. What did you change since the motor was last running and what kind of hp gains do you expect, or even better what did you have before hp/tq, and what do you expect now. Good luck on getting this project finished!!!

I never got the car on a dyno so I can't comment on the power. This go around I have swapped LS rods with JDM P30 pistons out for Eagle rods and Endyn 11.5:1 81.5mm pistons. Ditching the B16A1 manifold for a Skunk2 unit. I replaced the B16A retainers, springs, and valves with Skunk2 parts. And I replaced the stock valve guides with bronze ones. Then all of the seals and gaskets that need to be replaced. I don't expect a huge gain, maybe 15-20 hp if I am lucky. I am shooting for a more solid build and to get rid of my idle bounce and my oil consumption problems.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Mar 3 2003, 12:19 PM
I will as soon as I develop the film. (I'm low tech at the moment)

Get the Kodak CD so that way you can still have digital quaility pics, no crappy scanned pics.

So what break in method are you going to use, the soft and easy or beat to hell way?

put some work in it, nice work. i'm still cleaning mine out, theres sure a lot of salt and solvent. i'm thinkin of building a new one.

I haven't decided yet. I think I am going to run kind of a combination. I'll turn the idle up to something like 1800 or 2000 on the first start up and let the engine come up to operating temp. Turn the idle down and take the car out for a couple of 1/2 to 3/4 throttle 2nd gear pulls. Then do the same in 3rd, the same in 4th. I am still going to run the first 1000 miles on natural oil. I am going to change my oil and filter after the first set of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear pulls are finished.

i'm doing a rebuild on my ls motor and was wondering where u got all ur gaskets and how much were they??..i'm ready to put everything back together but i dont want to pay $300+ for a full set gasket kit from acura

I got all my gaskets from http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org
You don't need gasket kit C (the transmission kit) and you don't need all of gasket kit A (cylinder head). Get only the gaskets from kit A that you need. For instance you can probably leave the exhaust manifold gasket off unless you seperated yours.

Made all kinds of progress in the last two days. I got home from work/school at 6 yesterday worked on it until 11:30 last night. I got the head reassembled, the valve lash set (the first time) and I got the engine clayed (all kinds of clearance). The I pulled everything apart again. Today I got up at 7, made breakfast for my girlfriendand I then went rent an engine hoist (that's a long story, I will explain when I get the pics up). Been working all damn day. The entire engine is put together, the valve lash has been set again, finished some creative routing of coolant lines to make up for the fact that my TB doesn't have a fast idle valve built in and the Skunk2 92+ B16 IM doesn't use a separate FIV like the LS/B16A. Flywheel/Clutch/Tranny are all on. This engine is almost ready to go into the car. I am just waiting on my last package from acuraautomotiveparts.org to get here and the engine will be ready to go into the car. Pics of that if I can get another roll of film in time. I will also be submitting a How to Build Your own LSVTEC in your garage when this is through.

She's alive!!! I got everything in place to start her up tonight. I'd like to thank Scott from NMSU Computer Support (a co-worker of mine) for his help. She sounds pretty good so far. I have a CEL, I will pull the code tomorrow. I suupect that it has to do with the TPS, becuase she was idling low and kept trying to die once she came up to temp. I am going to take her out for a long drive around town tomorrow. Pics should be available tomorrow if Wally World has my photo CD finished.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Mar 13 2003, 12:27 AM
She's alive!!! I got everything in place to start her up tonight. I'd like to thank Scott from NMSU Computer Support (a co-worker of mine) for his help. She sounds pretty good so far. I have a CEL, I will pull the code tomorrow. I suupect that it has to do with the TPS, becuase she was idling low and kept trying to die once she came up to temp. I am going to take her out for a long drive around town tomorrow. Pics should be available tomorrow if Wally World has my photo CD finished.

:werd:

Glad you got it together and it runs. Can't wait for pics.

Congratulations bro! I can't wait to see the pic. Hopefully your CEL (really called a "MIL") doesn't pull any code too drastic.

Congrats! it's always nice to hear a fellow enthusiast do a good job and be happy with their work. You earned it.

Back