this is total BS! this could also effect racers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=6689456
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACTION ALERT - WRITE NOW! SUPPORT HOUSE PASSAGE OF S.423!
TELL YOUR MEMBER OF CONGRESS TO FIX THE HEALTH INSURANCE LOOPHOLE!

Read about this bill

U.S. Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) introduced S. 423, "The HIPAA Recreational Injury Technical Correction Act." This bill was passed on November 21, 2004 by the Senate, and now we need your support to get it through the House. Please write your House Representative and tell them to support passage of S.423!

The legislation aims at promoting health care parity for individuals participating in legal transportation and recreational activities-activities like motorcycling, snowmobiling, horseback riding, running or walking. This legislation addresses a loophole caused by a Department of Health and Human Services' rule making it possible for health care coverage to be denied to those who are injured while participating in these activities.

Collins was joined by Senator Feingold (D-WI) in introducing the Senate legislation.

"From riding Harley Davidson motorcycles to visiting the Snowmobile Hall of Fame in St. Germain, these activities are part of Wisconsin's heritage and economy," Feingold said. "It simply doesn't make sense to exclude those participating in these activities from health care benefits."

As background, self-insured employers and unions have been known to deny health benefits to their motorcyclist employees and union members. These unfair measures had been adopted on the questionable advice of third party administrators in an effort to keep the cost of insurance premiums low.

On August 21, 1996 an important opportunity arose when President Clinton signed the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), prohibiting employers from denying health care coverage based on a worker’s pre-existing medical conditions or participation in legal activities.

In 2001, the Health Care Finance Administration released the final rules that would govern the law. The rules recognize that employers cannot refuse health care coverage to an employee on the basis of their participation in a recognized recreational activity. However, the benefits can be denied for injuries sustained in connection with those recreational activities. Essentially, the regulation grants protective status to motorcyclists without any substantive benefits.

"Because of this loophole, someone who participates in motorcycling, snowmobiling, running or walking could be denied health care coverage, while someone who is injured while drinking and driving a car would be protected," Senator Feingold said. "It is time that Congress corrected this so that those who are abiding by the law are not denied coverage."

The AMA is urging all motorcyclists—and those involved in any other type of recreational activity— to notify their Member of Congress and tell them to support and pass S.423, “The HIPAA Recreational Injury Technical Correction Act,” in the House.

That is potentially very serious, and should be addressed. I think it is bullshit that this could potentially make you have higher insurace rates, or special insurance based on the fact that you race, or that you partake in these activities. This was posted the other day on a mountain bike forum as it affects them too. This is one of those bullshit deals that raises the cost of living. What do they want us to do, sit on the couch and watch TV all day? Fuck that!

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Nov 24 2004, 11:26 PM
That is potentially very serious, and should be addressed. I think it is bullshit that this could potentially make you have higher insurace rates, or special insurance based on the fact that you race, or that you partake in these activities. This was posted the other day on a mountain bike forum as it affects them too. This is one of those bullshit deals that raises the cost of living. What do they want us to do, sit on the couch and watch TV all day? Fuck that!
[post=421978]Quoted post[/post]​

It sounds like even if we paid higher rates we would still be refused coverage.

the fact that we (the people of the USA) pay for our own health care coverage we can shit on. I could some what understand if we lived in Canada and since EVERYONE pays for everyones coverage from their taxes I could see someone say well I'm at a much less risk of being hurt then that guy over there why should I have to pay for his dumb mistakes.

bah bah bah

fuckers

hey the bottom line is i pay 4x what most people pay (i live in canda but due to my hobbies i have to carry axtra insurance). I race, snowborad, wheel, AND have a pilots licence i pay a premium based on that fact big deal it all part of life why shopuld everybody else pay for me to be airlifted (again) when im out biking.

wow- another good thign clinton did

and then ya'll vote in bush and the gop's in the house... and look wha they do.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Nov 25 2004, 02:45 AM
hey the bottom line is i pay 4x what most people pay (i live in canda but due to my hobbies i have to carry axtra insurance). I race, snowborad, wheel, AND have a pilots licence i pay a premium based on that fact big deal it all part of life why shopuld everybody else pay for me to be airlifted (again) when im out biking.
[post=422037]Quoted post[/post]​

DUDE ok first off this isnt CANADA we pay for our own insurance! if I want no insruance then I don't have to have any if I want full health insruance so I have to pay a ZERO deductable and ZERO copay I can also do that. It is up to each person to choose what type of insurance and how much they want covered.

In America if you hurt yourself it cost me nothing unless I happened to be the one that ran you over.

P.S arent you the same guy that said rich people should be taxed more to help out the people who make less money?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 25 2004, 02:46 AM

[post=422039]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree he can go "insert word here" himself

:werd:

Originally posted by jeffie7+Nov 25 2004, 01:38 AM-->
hcivic.com
@Nov 25 2004, 02:45 AM
[post=422037]Quoted post[/post]​

DUDE ok first off this isnt CANADA we pay for our own insurance! if I want no insruance then I don't have to have any if I want full health insruance so I have to pay a ZERO deductable and ZERO copay I can also do that. It is up to each person to choose what type of insurance and how much they want covered.

In America if you hurt yourself it cost me nothing unless I happened to be the one that ran you over.

P.S arent you the same guy that said rich people should be taxed more to help out the people who make less money?
[post=422061]Quoted post[/post]​

no man ambulance dental and all that crap is nopt coverd and i bet what i pay mounthly for life and injury is 4x what most of you pay with a pilots licence most companeys wont even touch me.
i have never said take from the rich to give to the poor. I believe in everyone paying their fair share

no man ambulance dental and all that crap is nopt coverd and i bet what i pay mounthly for life and injury is 4x what most of you pay with a pilots licence most companeys wont even touch me.

Airplanes ARE NOT a high risk. you have a much better chance of dying in a car crash or walking across a street.

My brother used to race motox hes been on top of this states points board for the longest time when he raced, He rock climbs, scuba dives, sky dives, he started flying planes at the age of 16, and currently he's flying F15s and works I believe it was listed the 2nd most deadly job. Air Combat Pilot.

Should he pay extra becuase the only things he's ever had to do was get his wisdom teeth pulled and fix his broke his collor bone?

I know many people who sit on their ass everyday and get hurt from getting out of bed. some people are just accident prone.

I've done my share of riding dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, jet sking, speed skate "racing" BMW, Freestyle from flate land to vert, superbike riding sometimes I ride almost every day of the summer. so far I've been to the doc once and that was for a deer tick bite.

Once again I know people who do jack shit and see the doc every other week.

And as far as 4 times what we pay......
insurance here is VERY weird. I think the avg person with a 100% healthy life that does jack shit pays around 200 a month USD thats about $241 CND.

Some people who have problems and go to get insurance after the fact can pay up to $1000+ a month.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Nov 25 2004, 11:59 AM

Airplanes ARE NOT a high risk. you have a much better chance of dying in a car crash or walking across a street.

Some people who have problems and go to get insurance after the fact can pay up to $1000+ a month.
[post=422144]Quoted post[/post]​

you tell them that with a private licence my benifts and life cost me a total of 935 a mounth

you tell them that with a private licence my benifts and life cost me a total of 935 a mounth
[post=422683]Quoted post[/post]​

you have 328409842x more chance of being hurt in a car......

anyways you live in canada not me so you tell them that lol =)

besides the insruance company has to factor in that if you do happen to crash your plane chances are............ you're not going to live! =) well you did say life insruance DOH!

Ok cliff notes for the lazy ass people.

If you want insurance companies to refuse covering your insurance becuase you were hurt while;

Running, Inline Skating, riding a bike, motorcycle, 4 wheeler, flying a plane, jetsking, pretty much doing anything they would lable as "high risk" a lot of people who bike get hit by cars the same could be said about walkers/runners that run on main streets.

well if you want to be refused healthcare that YOU PAY FOR then don't do a damn thing

however if you feel that it's total BS then go to the link and SIGN IT!

ya i don't get it either but hey i pay extra also cause im self employed i pay more?

your right BECUASE THE PRESIDENT MAKES LAWS.. hahaha thats a good one B... Last time I checked the pres cant just make a law... Oh and who had a majority in the house and senate when he was pres?

Back