Today was a landmark day for me.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I met the dumbest person I've ever met. I mean this in all seriousness. It's worse than the guy that tried to tell me his dad was an engineer at GM and said that a B16 would bolt into a Saturn. It's worse than the kid that tried to convince me that his Civic runs on JP4.

Oh yes, it's much worse...

I had a guy tell me, to my face no less, that he's an A&P and was working at an airport in Nashua, NH where a Piper 310 landed with a blown engine. Turns out that the guy that worked on the 310 last forgot to replace the oil cap on the valve cover, causing the turbine to blow oil everywhere and seize.

I think AirJockey is the only one that will really get this, so let me explain for all you ground pounders...

Piper doesn't make a 310. Cessna does. A Cessna 310 does not have turbines. Turbines don't even have valve covers, but the 310 engines, which are Continential IO-470s, do. However, the oil fill caps are not on the valve covers; they are on the right middle upper section of the engine, are screw on, and have the dipstick integrated with the cap.

I thought I could get away from this shit by playing with planes. Fuckin' A, I guess humanity in general really is idiotic.

*edit- Oh yes, A&P stands for Airframe & Power, basically aviations version of ASE mechanics, only held to a higher level of work ethic and aptitude.

*edit- Oh yes, A&P stands for Airframe & Power, basically aviations version of ASE mechanics, only held to a higher level of work ethic and aptitude.

I started my working life on the automotive side of mechanics. I later moved to aviation side when I got bored with automotive. I used to be ASE certified and now hold an Airframe & Powerplant ticket. I have got to say that if I had to list the most skilled mechanics I have met. They would all be auto mechanics. This may not represent the lot, but it is my experience.

i really hope noone like that is working on any plane i take to get to and from wherever i go.... that scares me... :(

How old was this idiot? If he works at an airport, shouldn't he be able to at least show you his photo security id badge?

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Mar 15 2004, 11:39 PM
How old was this idiot? If he works at an airport, shouldn't he be able to at least show you his photo security id badge?

He was in his mid- 40s. I was at a gas station and I saw the "I FLY RC" sticker on the back of his truck and started talking about airplanes. It kinda went downhill from there.

Good question. I think they'd be called either arrested or dead because unless you have an A&P do the modifications, it's illegal. It's also illegal if the plane isn't certified for the modification. And, if you still got it in the air and the modification wasn't thought out, you'd get dead. He wasn't a ricer, though. Just a dumbass who didn't know who he was talking to.

Sure, if you want to be sued for misusing a corporate logo. Besides, TWA is one letter away from my favorite place to be. :)

Back