Torque Motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dman1100

I'm wanting to do a swap but don't know what engine i would like most. I want a lot of torque to get off the line and some good high end power to go with it.

It all depends what your forsee yourself doing in the future, man. If you think forced induction (turbo, supercharger, nitrous oxide) is something that you'll be getting into, I wouldn't worry about torque. Turbocharge any B-series or H-series :) Honda motor and you'll have oodles of torque. If you're going all motor, then the B18B or H22 will provide more torque than the lower-displacement motors. Keep in mind that an all motor setup is geared more towards the top end. It's all a question of budget. How much are you (realistically) willing to spend?

I'm realistically willing to put everything i've got into this and it will take a while to get money for everything but i'd rather take longer and build a strong motor than put a cheap one together.

turbo is definitely an option though but i'd be running without it possibly for a while

Originally posted by tdehnel Posted on Apr 1 2003@ 02:22 AM
If you're going all motor, then the B18B or H22 will provide more torque than the lower-displacement motors.

You don't want to go B18B for all motor,B18C1/C5 yes,B1 no.And "oodles of torque" isn't really a phase that goes well with Honda motors.

what does the c5 come stock in? and what kind of numbers does it put out?

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 31 2003, 08:37 PM
You don't want to go B18B for all motor,B18C1/C5 yes,B1 no.And "oodles of torque" isn't really a phase that goes well with Honda motors.

1) My bad, I don't know how I forgot the c1/c5. And by all motor in the B18B's case I just assumed a mild build, no internal work, i/h/e, cam gears, the usual.

2) Relatively speaking. (for a honda motor, I'd consider 200 ft/lbs "oodles" because it'll move a small Honda very well).

New pistons and rods? 700 would be a pretty good deal for new. I'm not sure how easily you could sell used pistons and rods, but don't expect to get "oodles" of money. ;)

I'm realistically willing to put everything i've got into this and it will take a while to get money for everything but i'd rather take longer and build a strong motor than put a cheap one together.

You've got the right idea there. Patience definitely helps with this stuff. If you want to be smart about it, wait untill you have all the parts to start working on your motor. You don't want to pull your motor out of your car more times than you have to.

The C5 is the B18C5 ala Integra Type R. Hard to find, even harder to pay for.

I would like to build everything from top to bottom if i can and will these motors be ok on a d-series cooling system?

how much would a good book cost so i don't leave anything out and screw up if i'm gonna do this myself?

Get a Helms,they are about $65 and worth every penny.The radiator hoses are different diameters on the D and B series,not sure if they all are,but I know mine were.

Originally posted by Dman1100@Apr 1 2003, 03:40 AM
which book is the one i want there is a ton of them

Idealy you want one for the car with the motor your swapping in and one for your car.

i found a 96-97 shop manual for $64 is that the right one?

Originally posted by Dman1100@Apr 1 2003, 03:43 AM
i found a 96-97 shop manual for $64 is that the right one?

What car are you doing this in?The motor you get decides the manual,and the car you have should decide the motor you get.

c5 pushes 195hp and 130 ibs/tq and c1 pushes 170hp and 128ibs/tq....heard the gsr motor is "pretty good" if ur thinking about turbo but better if u go all more... .if u get c5 and slap turbo on it then u'll defeat the purpose of getting a type R motor... jus my 2 cents

I'm doing this in a 97 civic ex and i'm leaning toward an ls because of the low cost and turbo capabilities but i kinda want a vtec though, i don't plan on attemping an lsvtec conversion though whats a good low cost vtec that could take some turbo?

Back