toyota corolla

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rex187

alright heres the deal. im thinking about getting a old school corolla but the problem im having is that i dont know the differance between the SR5 and the GTS. dose anyone know which is better and what all mods can be done to the corolla. any help would be thankful

SR5 = SOHC, underpowered lump. Open diff, weaker trans I think.

GTS = DOHC (4age), decently powered lump. LSD is standard on the GTS model (I think), stronger trans (I think).

im pretty sure the whole rear setup on the gts is different than the sr5's. ive been told if you want a good drift car youll want the rear end from a gts, that is if you buy a sr5.

refer to link in my sig

hachiroku.net <----- lots of guys who really know their stuff

GT-S also has better suspention. i think

and there is no such thing as a decently powered stock corolla, even after swappin out to a high-comp 4AG most guys freak out if they hit 110whp. but its a short wheelbase and light so it doesnt need alot of power.

Alright, number one:

You should only have an old Corolla for a project car. They suck for daily drivers. They are all 20+ years old and it shows. You have to do a complete overhaul and recondition to make them be reliable.

Number two:

The SR5 came with a SOHC carburated motor called the 4A-C. Makes three horsepower. Gay. Also came with different rear end and suspension components, tiny discs up front with drums in the rear, lame gearing.

The GT-S came with a DOHC 1.6 liter called the 4A-GE, all wheel disc, and shorter gearing. They also have a different rear end and clutch type LSD was an option.

If you want a performance Corolla, the AE86 GT-S is the best choice. The SR5 to GT-S conversion is a huge pain in the ass and will cost you more than to just buy a GT-S in the first place.

Great project cars, shitty DD's. Oh yeah, check out hachiroku.net. That site rocks.

Also, don't expect your GT-S to be cool at first. They are slow as fuck, like < 100 whp slow. And without LSD, they are NO FUN. Like Scott said, high compression hybrids wtill only usually make 105-110 whp and motherfuckers are ECSTATIC with those numbers. Plus, the whole drivetrain can't handle a lot of torque, so boosting entails replacing everything with MA60 Supra parts.

Wanna buy my blacktop 20 valve '86 GT-S? :D

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@May 24 2005, 07:03 PM
refer to link in my sig

hachiroku.net <----- lots of guys who really know their stuff

GT-S also has better suspention. i think

and there is no such thing as a decently powered stock corolla, even after swappin out to a high-comp 4AG most guys freak out if they hit 110whp. but its a short wheelbase and light so it doesnt need alot of power.
[post=503102]Quoted post[/post]​

Freaked me out the power that is possible in corollas...

I was at a street race in Richardson TX and this dude rolls up in this primer only corolla, no stickers no nothing, LOUD exhaust, a sparco racing seat and a 5 point harness. Originally you think it is this no talent ricer flaunting his RWD rolla.

This is before i actually had even the slightest understand of cars, so after he WALKED an LS1 Camaro i saw the turboS under the hood and i even knew what had happened. Everybody freaked out at this twin turbo 'rolla, but i have not seen him since. Nobody could tell me what engine he had in the car, but i do know it was a 4cyl.

Has anyone else in DFW area seen this guy or have any more information about what hes rollin with?

don't waste your time fucking with the sr5 to gts conv.
just find a gts..it's cheap and fun to drive and if you wreck just toss it in the gutter and go buy a nother :D 20v into a ae86 is a lot more fun>>>hehe.

Originally posted by dohch22a4@May 24 2005, 09:40 PM
............ The SR5 to GT-S conversion is a huge pain in the ass and will cost you more than to just buy a GT-S in the first place.
[post=503137]Quoted post[/post]​

Hear Hear. That swap was a total pain in the arse. Basically, you're transplanting the body of the SR5 onto the GT-S and then taking another 4 months to make it run right without smoking harnesses. EVERYTHING has to come out, including Radio and domelight.

There is a 4AGZE powered GTS trim in 1989 that's worth hunting down. As far as daily drivers... Why not ?

-> Steve

Back