Tranny problem, can anyone help?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97c00p

ok well heres a lil background..i bought a tranny after i blew one up, it has a new throw out bearing and the clutch is still good (im pretty sure). the tranny always acted kinda funny since i got it i.e. pops outta gear, shifts a lil rough. ok well i just got my car out of the body shop ..i havent driven it in about 3 weeks so i get it back and everything is cool, so later that nite i park the car, then about 10 min later i get back in to go home and it wont go in first gear..so ok i start in 2nd and i keep trying and it will not go into 1st, so after a few min of driving, the shifter feels all watery, it will move side to side up/down with almost no restriction, it seems like nothing holds it in place...so today we take out the console and look and everything seems cool... now it will go in 1st gear..but it still shifts very rough and when i put it in 1st, the shifter moves back to the middle almost neutral position, but its still in gear...my question is, is it the tranny? or the shift linkage or could it be something else, the tranny has enough fluid and we inspected the linkage last nite..anyone had a similar problem?

*cliff notes*
-wont go into 1st gear
-shfter feels watery
-when put in gear, shifter moves to a neutral position, but car stays in gear
-shifting out of 1st, it tends to stick sometimes
-

My guess would be that the input shaft is gone. But I am not the transmission expert, so I am sure others will contridict me later (listen to them).

buy a new tranny.
you didnt say what kind of car it was.. but chances are- it will be easier just to get a "neused" tranny than to get work on it

its a 00 b16 tranny (s4c)

now the damn thing will stick in gear and i have to yank it out, but if its in 1st gear and im at a stand still and have the clutch in, it starts moving forward

Sounds like you have a few problems. I would check the clutch hydraulics for leakage, regarding the car moving with the clutch in. The rest sounds like the input shaft and/or countershaft mainbearings in the tranny case. I've had to rebuild the tranny for my D16 twice for this. Since your tranny is worth a bit more I would rebuild it. However, stop driving it. Bearings are cheap but synchro packs are not and the more you let the bearings come apart the more bits of plastic from the races tear up the sychro's and clog the oil passages in the shafts. 80 dollars in parts can turn into 800 in a couple of days. If your going to scrap it, e-mail me. I need one and don't mind having to build it since I work for honda. :blink:

Check all the linkages. Make sure nothing is loose, binding, bent, etc. If that checks out then start looking for a new tranny because something internal is shredded and it will be cheaper to replace than repair.

Back