Transmission fluid

• Thread starter Thread starter slayer1927
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 3K

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slayer1927

1989 honda civic . 5 speed manual I have looked for a place to put tranmission fluid but I can't find a place on top on sides or bottom the only place I find is a sensor on top I am not sure if I shoud put it there or not.

Also what kind of oil should I use?

There's a fill hole(14 or 17mm bolt) that's about the same height as the axle. You can fill through the reverse sensor but make sure the fill hole is open; the correct way to fill it is to fill until fluid overflows from the fill hole(car should be on level surface).

Any works: GM/Pennzoil Syncromesh, Honda MTF, Torco MTF/RTF, Amsoil Synchromesch, 10w30, etc.

Many people will just outright suggest Honda MTF but their formulas have changed, and unfortunately I'm not a fan(the latest formula seems closer to ATF; and biased more towards their newer transmissions). If anything, maybe a mix of Honda MTF and 10w30 would be good or best. I'd also avoid Royal Purple Syncromesh; it's pretty watery, like ATF, and doesn't work well when cold.

I'd suggest GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh+friction modifier or if you're willing to spend a little more, Torco MTF.

Last edited:
another good one i have dound is regular Valvoline 10w30... works well if u have a daily driver. I've had it in my civic for 140,123 miles now and it has given me no problems up here in cold butt vermont

I am a FIRM believer in Honda MTF. Both old and new formula.

I didn't have good results with Synchromesh and I had ok results with Exxon 10-30 motor oil.

Tons of people have had good experience with Synchromesh, as Kevin suggested, but in my case, it was a bust.

Back