Transmission problem possible?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hacken666

Well, I just finished my B16A engine swap into my 1990 civic hatchback SI.
I slowly weaved away all the bugs, and when I thought I was done yet another obstacle pops up :/

The axle on the passanger side will not move AT ALL :(
The driver side axle will move and spin by hand and even if I start it on jack stands, and put it in first, and launce it very slowly... The passanger side will not.
No odd sounds occur when doing it, but I did'nt want to really want to try to move it until the get the passanger side to move.

The car starts up perfect, idles extremely well even though its running of the exhaust manifold.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this, or what to start checking?
Like I said the drivers side will move by hand in neutral, but the passanger side won't budge.

I got the whole swap from hmotorsonline, so I believe I have some time to try to troubleshoot before I declare anything defective/broken and waste thier time.

Any response appreciated!

Are the brakes installed? Could be the pads holding it in place.. Could fix itself with a little driving.

***EDIT***

What Axle/Spindle are you using? If using the Si spindles, Did you remove the dust seals? (needs to be done) Could be your problem.

Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 15 2005, 04:38 PM
Are the brakes installed? Could be the pads holding it in place.. Could fix itself with a little driving.
[post=540407]Quoted post[/post]​

nope that was my origional thought, I removed the brakes off the rotors to check.

is the axle all the way in the tranny? make sure the spindles lined up when you put it in...and make sure its attached right into the hub on your wheel

Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 15 2005, 04:38 PM
***EDIT***

What Axle/Spindle are you using? If using the Si spindles, Did you remove the dust seals? (needs to be done) Could be your problem.
[post=540407]Quoted post[/post]​

Just saw that edit.
Yes I am using the SI spindle, I'm using the axles they sent me, I believe the Integra ones. By the dust seals, do you mean the metal guard that goes around the rotor on the inner side towards the engine bay?
If so, could that really be the problem, I was thinking that coul be a possibility, but the thinness of the metal used, I assumed it would get bent/broke if it had anything to do :eek:

I wanted to take them off origionally, but the screws were allready stripped from the previous owner it looked like, and left my grinder at work. Maybe ill grab the cutoff wheel and grinder, cut the head off the screws that hold it on, and take them off.

I just wana make sure thats what your refering to :)

Originally posted by CiViC_SOHC@Aug 15 2005, 05:02 PM
is the axle all the way in the tranny? make sure the spindles lined up when you put it in...and make sure its attached right into the hub on your wheel
[post=540410]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah it looks like its all the way in.
I'm getting ready to pop it back out and put it back in again here shortly, once I get the stupid lower control arm to drop again :p

With the dust shield it is the metal ring that is between the axle and the rear side of the rotor, you'll see it if you take everything back apart. I believe this is your problem, it causes the axle to lock up.

Originally posted by VTECPOWER@Aug 15 2005, 05:39 PM
With the dust shield it is the metal ring that is between the axle and the rear side of the rotor, you'll see it if you take everything back apart. I believe this is your problem, it causes the axle to lock up.
[post=540420]Quoted post[/post]​

Awsome, I'll go ahead and do it!

thanks a bunch guys that worked, now all I have to do is get the drivers side brake caliper to compress, tried a c-clamp, but that thing is now bent to all hell lol.

Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 16 2005, 10:55 AM
Woo hoo! I fixed something!

lol...
[post=540705]Quoted post[/post]​

:)

Thanks all you guys!

I got the whole car done with, although my VTEC was not kicking in last night, it was freaking awsome, also later that night, the little rubber piece that holds the shift lever up against the like floor, the bolts/spacers went through the rubber, so I pulled it off, put the spacer back in the rubber, then a decent size flat washer to prevent that from happening again and it held up all day.
The VTEC problem was a simple bad ground, I was so tired I guess I wasent thinking lol, but its working properly now.

At first I had my doubts, alot of frusturation, but it was all extremely stupid things that gave us the hardest problems, until we kinda like thought and the answer was there the whole time :p

It was well worth every penny, going from the 170k mile d16 to the b16 was insane. Besides the power/speed difference, I noticed a huge difference on how the car rode, it was so smooth, everything was nice and quiet basically, pretty perfect.
I think in the end, the outcome was alot better then I even really thought.

We took it out today, shitty weather, on/off rain. Well some car was right on our ass on some road, we took a right onto route 24 here, a two lane road and my brother was driving in 2nd, about like maybe 4k rpm. Well I noticed the other car was allready stomping it and my bro didnt he waited till it got next to us.
When he did he was allready going, it was a sentra ser, and turboed heh. Well he couldnt pull once my bro stomped it, but we eventually broke traction from hitting a wet spot lol.
I think we woulda took him or side by side if he didnt catch my bro offhand. I thought the nissan woulda performed better when I heard the turbo spooling and the bov :/

But again thanks a bunch!

why was your bro driving!!! you should be driving it lol! im gonna be the FIRST one to drive after I get my turbo'd Z6 in my car :p I just gotta know how long I have to wait b4 it is safe for me to punch on it becuase the motor hasn't been in a car in a couple years lol might get new piston rings while the motor is apart..the bottom end isn't apart though..

Originally posted by CiViC_SOHC@Aug 16 2005, 10:17 PM
why was your bro driving!!! you should be driving it lol! im gonna be the FIRST one to drive after I get my turbo'd Z6 in my car :p I just gotta know how long I have to wait b4 it is safe for me to punch on it becuase the motor hasn't been in a car in a couple years lol might get new piston rings while the motor is apart..the bottom end isn't apart though..
[post=540957]Quoted post[/post]​

Well I drove it for about 4 hours beforehand :p
Plus my liscense is expired, and my tags are probally suspended because when my old motor went out I took it off the road and I still got a emissions letter, so I said screw it since it wasent registered lol. And knowing how lame the maryland MVA... :/
I gota goto emissions and reregister my liscence now that I finally have my own car, I never had time to because of work and lack of transportation before heh

Back