Truth about block guards

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

disableddan

Crazy Insane
Hello,
Just wondering what the real deal is with block guards. I remember reading that they can do more harm than good... What makes for a good block guard?

Hello,
Just wondering what the real deal is with block guards. I remember reading that they can do more harm than good... What makes for a good block guard?
they restrict coolant flow

your better off investing into sleeves

maybe pinning the block if your going all out drag but that's another discussion in itself, I haven't done it, but have heard about it.

So how does one remove the stock sleeve from the block and replace it? I found one site with a write up on darton sleeves and they just machined the orignal block right out and put the sleeves in (sounds expensive :D)
Is there any way to make a blockguard not mess up your cooling?
I saw this write up on block pinning on HMT, seems like it could work and isn't very expensive or difficult...
Thanks!

well I dont know people, I had my bottom end built by Stewart Racing Engines and they installed a block gaurd. If it was a bad thing why would they put one in?

Yeah sucks it had no sound.
I'm just wondering if making the coolant passage holes in the block guard larger would help with any cooling issues and make the blockguard more dependable?
Spending that kind of money to sleeve a block is way out of my budget, for now :D

Yeah sucks it had no sound.
I'm just wondering if making the coolant passage holes in the block guard larger would help with any cooling issues and make the blockguard more dependable?
Spending that kind of money to sleeve a block is way out of my budget, for now :D

it tripped me out cuz that video didnt have sound and the video i played right after it from another thread didnt have sound and earlier this guy was telling me about how he has no sound for videos online on his computer.. i was like wtf? this fool told me about his problem now i have it?

sleeving needs to be done at a machine shop (odds are, you don't have the right tools... press, etc)

usually runs about 800-1000 + new pistons/rings.

sorry about that. forgot to add they took the audio out for some copyright reason

Block guards arnt really worth it. Its a cheap way to reinforce your block to make sure your sleeve dont float at high rpm, and should be honed out after install.

Another cheap way to do it is a block fill. bout $80. Coolant jacket gets filled with a type of aluminium, then you can drill out the water passages.

Block guards arnt really worth it. Its a cheap way to reinforce your block to make sure your sleeve dont float at high rpm, and should be honed out after install.

Another cheap way to do it is a block fill. bout $80. Coolant jacket gets filled with a type of aluminium, then you can drill out the water passages.

that has a good change of producing hot spots and potential warping over time.

So pinning is probably the cheapest reliable method of reinforcing the block...
probably but overall its usually not worth it and a good idea to check the sleeves are straight afterward. As in boring the sleeves.

You run into the same issue with metal expanding at different rates if you use a dissimilar metal.

Unless you are going all out drag and pushing out ridiculously high numbers out of the block I wouldn't waste too much time with it.

Yeah not really planning anything too insane, maybe some boost at some point but I still gotta find out what's wrong with it :p
Thanks

as b said. i would not even bother with it.

most stock sleeves on hondas hold up really well anyway. its just the pistons and rods that go out under high power.

Cool, have you guys ever heard of using B18 rods in a D15 and getting the ends machined to fit? Supposedly a junk yard fix for beefier rods...

Cool, have you guys ever heard of using B18 rods in a D15 and getting the ends machined to fit? Supposedly a junk yard fix for beefier rods...
D16's maybe, but not d15's.

you have to machine the wrist pin. but anything further than that I don't know.

Back