Turbo D16z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bboyx

Okay so im deciding to turbo my hatch...but yeah okay...people say PSI doesnt really mean anything.. so is there a difference from a 10 psi large turbo and 10 psi small turbo? Wouldnt they both be giving out the same amount of power if they are set at the same PSI?

And is it safe to run 10 pounds on a stock internals with only a fuel pump and fuel injectors?......and secondly If i wanted to boost 12 pounds what are all the necessary mods that i need to get in order to boost 12 pounds. I researched all of this and many people have diffirent opinions...so what do you guys think.

Okay so im deciding to turbo my hatch...but yeah okay...people say PSI doesnt really mean anything.. so is there a difference from a 10 psi large turbo and 10 psi small turbo? Wouldnt they both be giving out the same amount of power if they are set at the same PSI?

And is it safe to run 10 pounds on a stock internals with only a fuel pump and fuel injectors?......and secondly If i wanted to boost 12 pounds what are all the necessary mods that i need to get in order to boost 12 pounds. I researched all of this and many people have diffirent opinions...so what do you guys think.

Hey Bboyx,

You can answer the question for yourself. Let's pretend we are in a world where only two types of turbochargers exist: "Large" turbos and "Small" turbos. Think about it this way: if there really were no difference between a small turbo and a large turbo, why would there be two different sizes?

The answer to your question lies in CFM's (Cubic Feet Per minute). Now, you may be wondering "What is the difference between PSI and CFMS? Aren't they both just a measure of air?" Well, the difference is that CFM is a measurement of air velocity whereas PSI is a measurement of air density.

So say we have a small turbo such as a T25 and at 10 PSI the CFM is approximately 150. Now we move up to a larger turbo, say a 16g, and at the same PSI level (10) the 16g's CFMS are approximately 220. So the air is compressed just as much, but moving faster towards the engine. Just as a side note, more PSI (more compressed air) places a two-fold strain on the engine's internals in comparision to faster moving air (CFM). So you can see why people upgrade turbochargers on stock turbo'd vehicles.

Hope this helps.

^ Great advice there.

You need to set a power goal, not PSI goal, then pick a turbo that will net you that power. So, what kinda power you lookin for?

That was so beautifully said I almost shed a tear, Matt. REP! :thumbsup: Not to thread jack, but you and I need to have a nice turbo related conversation whenever you are available on MSN. :D

Back