Turboed EF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zachballa_07

i have a Zc turboed ef and its needs tuned really bad it is getting way to much fuel and when ever i get on it it somtimes back fires and a cloud of white smoke come out the back for a min give or take i was wondering if this has to do with it needed tuned and getting to much fuel or if my rings are bad? im still fairly new to tuners

just take it to a shop and have it tuned. you really shouldn't drive a car with a turbo unless it has been tuned.

White smoke is coolant burning, you need to get that figured out before anything.

Yea i know but my Coupe has the motor pulled so i dont have any other wheels. there is only two people around here with hondadata to tune it and both of there computers are down so i have no way to get it tuned. Dose Reg. auto repar places do any of that stuff?

You dont have to use Hondata, Crome is another very good tuning solution, and its free. Your going to have to go to a shop that has a dyno to get it tuned, or someone who can street tune it for you at the very least.

You dont have to use Hondata, Crome is another very good tuning solution, and its free. Your going to have to go to a shop that has a dyno to get it tuned, or someone who can street tune it for you at the very least.

there ant no dynos around here but yea like i said i was going to get it street tuned but the only two people in my city dont have the laptops fixed

if it was that wouldnt it be doing it all the time?

White smoke is burning coolant.
Blue smoke is burning oil.
Black smoke is burning too much fuel (running rich)

Maybe your confusing white smoke with steam if its cold outside, but my bet would be your burning coolant.

and no one has tuned it? thats a big step you should really do...it will make everything run a lot smoother

Sounds like you should have researched this a bit better and figured out exactly what you were going to do for tuning before you threw the turbo kit on there. You really shouldn't be driving it around without any kind of tune at all. In my opinion you really shouldn't be driving around forever on a street tune either. Really, you need to find somewhere with a dyno that has experience with tuning turbo'd Hondas...

wat size injectors do u have in it? if u want a street tune just get a apexi super afc. wat rpm range is it cutting out at to? more than likely ur running to much fuel so u could try turning it down if u have an adjustable fpr. but make sure u have a fuel pressure gauge. that would get u by untill u find a place to tune which id jjust tow it to a shop and not waste time

if u want a street tune just get a apexi super afc.
and then get a tune....pretty much your going to need to get a tune....even with one of these every motor will act different they might work but it would still be the best idea to just get it tuned.....like everyone else has said driving around without a tune is not a good idea

that is true. but since he has to drive it cus of no other car thats wat id do i guess. or just buy another car lol

Suggestion

We need to know exactly what you are running, and how you have your stuff set up. Most Honda turbo kits are supposed to come with a MAP bypass valve, sometimes called a "check valve." This prevents the ECU from seeing boost. Also, they usually come with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, sometimes called an "FMU (Fuel Management Unit)." You need to tell us how you have everything hooked up and what parts/accessories you have installed on/in your motor.

Also, based on what I have read so far, it sounds to me like you have a timing issue. I have a turbo B16, and I dove mine for over 5,000 miles before I got it tuned or chipped. It ran super rich, but it didn't back fire. Don't waste your money taking it to a shop that will charge you $60 to set the timing. Based on what you're telling us, it sounds like you're just having a timing issue.

Double check all your turbo parts according to the manufaturer's specifications, and make sure that you installed everything correctly. A mixed up vacuum line or timing too far advanced will cause you a lot of problems.

Based on the white smoke, it sounds to me like you have the timing too far advanced and you are getting detonation which has likely blown your head gasket, expecially if you have been exceeding about 4,000rpm.

If I were you, I would go to autozone or kragen or pep boys or whatever, or better yet, borrow a buddy's timing light. Make sure you set your timing to zero! If you are unsure how to set the timing, refer to a service manual. This is a 5 minute job that every shop will rip you off for at least $60 to do. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Setting the timing and double checking all your turbo connections should at least get you to a point where you're not damaging your internals every time you drive your car.

As far as tuning your car, just upload a base turbo map. They are generally very conservative and rich, which means that they will not make much power, but it is a very safe map to use until you can afford to get your car tuned.

In summary,

1. Set timing - Cost: $0
2. Double check all vacuum/turbo connections - Cost $0
3. Running your engine with the timing too far advanced without a tune plus boost - $priceless :D

Good luck buddy

thanks for all the info going to get it street tuned today....sorry i didnt give alot of info but like i said it ant my build the turbo and all was on it when i got it...i also am not driving it none stop only when i have to other than that i drive my gf car

Back