type r or gs-r

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok heres my situation, im either thinking of building up a jdm b18c meaning im going to fully built the bottom end with pistons, rods, resleeve and bore the block to 85mm, and also have it balanced, flywheel, and clutch. as for the head, im probably just going to install from itr cams since im putting so much money into the block first. on the otherhand, get a jdm type r and leave the block to way it is which is stock. im probably just going to a clutch and a flywheel. i havent gotten an idea what imma do the head due to the type r costing so much. so here's my question, is building the gs-r block a better idea even though the head just have itr cams or is getting a type r motor a better idea due to the fact that the type r has other goodies that the b18c doesnt come with? any opinions will be greatly appreciated....

what are your goals?

what kind of power are you looking for
what are you planning to do with it
do you plan to stay all motor or go forced induction

all of these factors will determine the best choice for you

But what helps even more is the right forum.

If you can afford it go for the build, but as E said, the end justifies the means.

looking to make something over 200-210 whp and is good enough to be a daily driven car. im definitely going all motor. im just debating what would be better and is a type r worth it for it price?

Originally posted by allmotorbeasteg6@Aug 21 2004, 11:02 AM
looking to make something over 200-210 whp and is good enough to be a daily driven car. im definitely going all motor. im just debating what would be better and is a type r worth it for it price?
[post=380021]Quoted post[/post]​

A Type R will get you there pretty easily with an intake, nice header, a nice exhaust, and maybe some cams. Plus it has a better geared tranny with LSD. I say go for it.

I'd just build the gs-r, because then you have the assurance that everything in the build is new, or has been rebuilt to new condition. You will also have 2.0l of displacement to start off with as opposed to only 1.8l. Sound's like a no brainer to me, but the type r is a good motor to go with if you are looking for stock motors for honda challenge spec race setups. You really can't go wrong either way, but the gsr build offers more directions for you to go, as you will be buying brand new parts, and so you can build it how you want it. with a type r, there is not any real difference in specs for the block, and since you would be building the gsr anyway, there is no real difference in reliability of the bottom end. The type r definitely has a better geared tranny and an lsd, but you can always trade up for a couple hundred later down the road. I say get the gsr. Lots more options.

SInce when do gs-r have 2.0 liters???

Nevermind, you meant after the block was built. I pwn3d myself.

Back