Ughhh

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

iplayintraffic

So I just got a 2000 Honda Civic Si. Really happy with it however I am having a slight issue. If my check engine light comes on right after I start it my speedo does not work, and the car idles a little weird (jumps from around 900rpm(normal) up to about 1400rpms or down to 200rpms and about dies if it is just idling. It does not come on all the time tho (however it does most of the time :mad:) Oh and BTW the car does not have the stock b16 in it. It has a b18b1 in it.

Idk if this is part of the same problem but I can notice a considerable change of brightness in the headlights and dashlights when the car hits 3000rpms (lights get brighter). And when it is cold the stereo will suck the battery dry to the point to where it turns its self off. but when it warms up to about 40 degrees or up it is just fine. Is that a battery problem? Alternator problem? or is it something as simple as the ground?

thanks for any feed back.

could be any of those but im guessing alternator is bad, but check the codes to see what its throwing, and prolly have a bad vss to

yeah, but it being a 2000 you can put a scanner on it to read the codes for you if you dont want to do it the paper clip trick way.

should be able to use one at a store, the ones around here they let you borrow it and take it out to your car and see what it is

Okay, what all will the scanner let me know? Like will it say "hey dumb***, replace your alternator!" or will it just tell me what is causing the issue and leave me to troubleshoot the problem myself?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm still learning. This is only my second Honda, and the first one I have worked on (other than stereo equipment).

it will probably just tell you a certain code, it will be very basic, so then you search to see what you will need to test/replace to fix it

its perty easy man just get the codes checked some scanners will tell you what the code is some wont, but yes if you have more than one it will tell you all of them. so just get the codes and get back to us

Well Its not the battery. I replaced it today. It went completely dead. It fixed the light problem. Everything is bright and clear now, however my check engine light still comes on most of the time and the speedo wont work. Weird thing tho...I was driving it yesterday and the speedo randomly kicked on, however the check engine light was on. This is weird because If I start the car and the Check engine light does not come on then my speedo will work. I am so confused. I dont know where to even begin now. I am going to go tomorrow and get them to scan my ecu. Ill report back with codes soon. Or maybe a fixed car? lol

I looked up some of the symptoms of a bad vss, it sound like that is my issue. Cause it has been shifting ruff in first and second and fifth likes to act like it wont pull if i shift into it at a high rpm. Like if I almost red line 4th then throw it into 5th it acts like it dont want to go or its not getting gas. When I get it scanned will that show up? like will they be able to tell if its a faulty vss?

yeah they can tell if its a bad vss but the only thing that controls is the speedometer

Im sure it wont mess up the tranny. I have hade a vss mess up on me and it just stopped the speedo from working and the vtec wouldn't work.

Well now I am not even thinking its the VSS. I think its my alternator. I have a cig lighter charger for my iphone. I can plug it in and it will charge, however if I turn on my lights or start the heat or something my phone will disconnect. Then when I turn it off, my phone will reconnect and start charging again.

well thats something they can check also lol, most of the time if the alternator is bad the tach will go crazy to, but check the fuse to make sure its not blown and check the battery ground to make sure there on good.

Back