update on kitchen, still not sure if its done yet....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Looks really great, everything fits together very well. I dig it.

:werd: looks good .. diggin the back splash.. in our kitchen we have granite tile countertops w/ black backsplash.. painted the cabinets white

2-3k for laminate? you're high! lol you can get lamiate for a couple hundred bucks.

the biggest pile of shit ever laminate and put it down yourself.

Professional installed and decent laminate that will last over 20+ years of abuse isn't cheap. And at that it is 1/4 the cost of most solid countertops you could put down.

Laminate that actually looks like wood is pricey. You can get decently durable stuff for cheap, it just looks cheap too. I myself had 600 sqft of tile put in for a total of $2k.

I'm loving the back lighting you did, Jeff. Did you just purchase some kit to do that, or is it a custom job?

Nice kitchen. One of these days I'm gonna have to actually come to one of your get-togethers.

2-3k for laminate? you're high! lol you can get lamiate for a couple hundred bucks.

I paid around $300.00 to do my laminate counter tops the first time around, this meant cutting them myself and installing them myself. I got a quote on getting them installed and it was damn near stone. Clearly they wanted you to say F it and buy the good stuff.

Nice. Wish my kitchen was that tiny, you could probably fit two of yours in mine.

Problem with our kitchen is what you see is only half of it, there's a whole 2nd half but its kind of wasted space. That's what I have...

IMG_17461.jpg

for

What kind of counter top did you install?
Also, what was your total out of pocket expense?

We're redoing our kitchen next year, complete gut with two walls being removed. We'll probably be in teh 10-15k range all said and done.

Granite counter tops. They ran about $2300.00 installed. back splash was around $600-700 not sure the total but it was $11.99 a sheet. I think we bought 48 sheets. had 2 left over. 12x14 for each one. Don't forget the wet saw, grout, mud, and everything else needed.

Sink $300? stove/fridge/microwave maybe 5K? all professional line. Floor was about $2400.00

Kind of hard to really get a true dollar amount since we didn't really keep track.

Laminate that actually looks like wood is pricey. You can get decently durable stuff for cheap, it just looks cheap too. I myself had 600 sqft of tile put in for a total of $2k.

I'm loving the back lighting you did, Jeff. Did you just purchase some kit to do that, or is it a custom job?

Back Lighting is LEDs from lowes. I cut/soldered each one so there was no extra slack, this also allowed for me to drill tiny holes into the cabinets to tuck all wires. since LEDs pull next to no power, they run on 18 or maybe 20 gauge wire.

Only down side is they dont dim.

Yeah I remember the before pics of it, still that kitchen is about half the size of mine. I have a good 15 feet of counter top space along just one wall, then it wraps around to the wall by my back staircase.

What kind of counter top did you install?
Also, what was your total out of pocket expense?

We're redoing our kitchen next year, complete gut with two walls being removed. We'll probably be in teh 10-15k range all said and done.

Used to work in the granite industry, Prices should start at around $35-40/sq ft installed and go up to almost unlimited $. Your greens and neutral colors will be towards the bottom, and typically the more "movement" in the stone, i.e. swirls and waves of color, the more $. The fancier edge profiles are sold by the linear foot.

How much do SEARS Chinese granite countertops cost? The landlords I work with use them by the boatload.

How much do SEARS Chinese granite countertops cost? The landlords I work with use them by the boatload.

Sears is no different than Depot or Lowes or a lot of the kitchen design studios scattered in everytown USA. It's all sub contracted out through someone else. You go pick out your slab at the stone yard, they ship it to the fabricator, who cuts and polishes it, then loads it on a truck for install.

In a lot of ways having a big box do it for you is advantageous as far as ensuring a quality end product. They're notoriously difficult for contractors to work for, and part of that is because they insist on not cutting corners come install time. They know if the customer isn't happy, they're gonna come back to the store, not the contractor, and it ends up looking bad on the store, not the installer.

I just noticed that on all the switches and outlets on the wall, you finished the screws to all point north/south. For this, I give another :thumbsup:

Home Depot and Lowes were a good bit higher then anywhere else. but as pointed out, if its not done right, you do have a person to bitch to that will make sure it gets fixed.

haha. I do the same thing except I go east-west. It's my little slice of ocd.

I don't understand the use of OCD.

At work I have a bunch of little things I do to make my day go smooth. I put things in a place so the ones I use the most often are up front, the things that get used the least are in the back, when filling up pitchers for drink refills I only fill what is needed so rarely is there ever any left to go flat. at home I keep a clean house, everything has its place. hell, I even put my faceplates on with the screws all matching.

Most people say I'm OCD. Would it bother me to do things in a different way? Only when it slows me down or makes the end product less. It wont keep me up at night that's for sure.

IMO most people who call out someone for being OCD is a lazy fuck who does just enough to get by.

If I start counting how many times I touch the light switch before I turn it off, then call me OCD :rolleyes:

How many square feet and the overall perimeter are your counters? Sounds like you got a decent deal. I like the dark counter. In terms of granite, I am guessing it the type where there's smaller pieces and more uniformity/consistency of color?

Sweetest part about slab counters are the under-mount sinks so you can wipe the counter off right into the sink. That's a nice thing for the OCD in me

My parents just had a counter put in the big fix-r-up-r they just bought. They paid almost as much as you did.....to have it cut/installed!! Plus the cost of the stone!! (which has pretty big swoops of color but the bulk is a off white color). They have around 70sqft and roughly 55ft of perimeter. My dad and I usually do tile jobs for counters but they splurged on the granite.

Back