Upgrade time... deals were too good.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phunky.buddha

Mad scientist
VIP
new_cpu_mobo.jpg

ssds.jpg

Trying to stay on a tighter budget on computer hardware now... no super top of the line anymore for me. Should still be a blast though. Going to shoot for 5GHz. Anyone want to buy a pair of G92 8800GTSs with some monster heat sinks?

Nope, still don't trust the Sandforce controllers. The 64GB V100s are pretty pedestrian, but still spec out at 230/180, and cost $65 apiece after rebate- which Kingston is really good at honoring. One is in the netbook I'm typing on (not the two on the desk, I'll have 5 SSDs total now), one will go into the PS3, and one will go into Katie's computer.

The V+100 96GB SSDs will go into my main system in a RAID-0 array. They carry the same 230/180 speed ratings, but have much better garbage collection than the Sandforce controllers, and are WAY more reliable. They'll have much better speed as time goes by and they fill up than SF controller drives, especially at the $1/GB price point. To get 180GB of usable space while getting close to 500MB/s speeds out of SF SSDs would cost me upwards of $400, and also get me a pretty high chance of failure in comparison. I'll give up a bit of speed for that. OCZ (main Sandforce partner) is horrible with rebates and warranty claims too.

My WD 640GB drives from the main PC will go into the server, along with all the old WD 400GB drives I have laying around that will get replaced by SSDs (HTPC, Katie's comp etc). This way I won't worry too much about storage on the main PC. I may add a quiet 1TB drive for video processing, but we'll see.

Oh. Garbage collection = important in RAID because TRIM commands (garbage collection routines in Win7) won't pass through a RAID controller. The V+100 has about the best garbage collection in the industry for SSDs right now.

V+100 = Toshiba controller
V100 = latest JMicron controller

yea my 3x Intel RAID-0 in the main computer are still running strong (750ish MB/s). but im not running any GC or TRIM. wish either was supported on Intel drives in RAID :(

yea my 3x Intel RAID-0 in the main computer are still running strong (750ish MB/s). but im not running any GC or TRIM. wish either was supported on Intel drives in RAID :(

I guess I could add more later- 2 will do for now though. All mass storage will be on the server. I really don't use more than about 200GB in active space anyway- and with 16GB of RAM and ridiculously fast boot times I can get rid of the swap file and the hibernate file. Your Intel controllers should have some GC running with them already- they just won't see TRIM commands coming from the OS.

You moderators and your nerd talk :)

Takes nerds to run a forum. :)

its not tough to understand :shrug2:

:thumbsup:

I like thought of a budget build finally including SSDs. I'd love to get one for my OS drive, and another 12gb or so of memory. Money's just too tight right now.

Well, budget is a relative term... this is "budget" for me instead of dropping $3k on hardware. I have such a huge game backlog that I can't justify all the newest / crazy expensive hardware, but this stuff isn't necessarily that cheap.

Board + CPU = $350 including tax (would be $450 from Newegg)
SSDs = $200 for 2x 96GB
RAM = $200 for 16GB of 1.5V CAS8
GPU = $200ish when I get off my butt and find a good deal on a 560Ti

All the water cooling bits aren't cheap either, but I spent the cash on all those parts a long time ago. Figure about $500 or more for all of those, $300 for the monster aluminum case, another hundred or two for the optical drive stack, another hundred plus for fans etc... it adds up quick.

For a true budget build I could keep it under $300- but this will still total out to around $3k of hardware and be running at speeds to rival the top performing hardware available.

Wow... that is a ridiculous set up for almost dirt cheap. You definitely founds some huge steals!

Back