Weighing Ls/vtec Vs Gsr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B-18Hatch

Should I: 1) Buy the GSR drop-out for $3500 or 2) buy the LS drop-out for $2200 and use the other $1300 to buy a VTEC head?
Warning: Ignorant question ahead! Isn't the head the whole difference between the two motors? I would love to be able to afford a Dart Block and build aftermarket from the oil drain plug to the valve cover. I know the parts are out there. Not because I'd be rich (or financially advantaged, in the interest of political correctness), but because I would be able to say that I built the engine that just embarrassed you.

if you buy an ls swap for 2200 you better get some sucky sucky or some bang bang with that.

buy the gsr. if you want to build a proper ls/vtec it will cost more than the gsr one will (ASSUMING that you put new pistons/rods in it, and new valvetrain )

the motors are VERY different. its not just the head.

and 2200 is rape.
i paid 1200 shipped for my 94 LS swap

Thanks. Any ideas how I can con my wife out of the $3500?

i paid 1200 shipped for my 94 LS swap

Although, $1200 doesn't sound bad. Where did you find it? Auction, Web-tailer?

hmotorsonline sells the complete ls package for $2200, where did you get it for 1200? and where is everyone finding them for that cheap?

check out www.thepartstrader.com alot of people sell LS blocks their really cheap, no point in paying for the head if your not gonna use it...get a b16 tranny...it is the same as a type-r, except the LSD, but you can pick one up for a couple hundred bucks.

Originally posted by GRCuadros@Mar 12 2003, 11:10 PM
check out www.thepartstrader.com alot of people sell LS blocks their really cheap, no point in paying for the head if your not gonna use it...get a b16 tranny...it is the same as a type-r, except the LSD, but you can pick one up for a couple hundred bucks.

yeah...partstrader is good for an ASS RAPING!!! Do you have any idea how many people get screwed there daily?

I agree with pills, you might as well get the gsr. You cannot get a "properly" built lsvtec with the price of a gsr motor. In order to get a nice build up, you will need at least 5000 to have a decent setup. good luck.

Originally posted by ekPhred@Mar 12 2003, 10:19 PM
I agree with pills, you might as well get the gsr. You cannot get a "properly" built lsvtec with the price of a gsr motor. In order to get a nice build up, you will need at least 5000 to have a decent setup. good luck.

You can have a "properly built" LS/VTEC for much less than 5000.

Indeed, but if you do not start with the LS engine in the car the total cost will come out to at least the cost of the GSR swap, maybe a little more. Plus you have to like playing around in an engine to build an LSVTEC. You need to be comforatble taking every thing apart, and competent enough to get it all back together again.

Back