Weight loss

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm not sure of any X fitters on this board but on the Subaru car forum I'm on, there's a substantial amount of members crossfitting.

My girlfriend has been doing it for about three years. I've been at a Crossfit affiliate (so a place that actually pays to use the name Crossfit in its business) for the last year and half.

I've been strong before and I've been well conditioned before but I've never been both so strong and well conditioned at the same time.

What city are you in?

All this weight vs cardio information I knew already... nothing new there. I don't have any specific weight goals, but I am participating in some long charity rides in the very near future, so I need to just get back in the saddle and start racking up the miles. The weights will come.

All this weight vs cardio information I knew already... nothing new there. I don't have any specific weight goals, but I am participating in some long charity rides in the very near future, so I need to just get back in the saddle and start racking up the miles. The weights will come.

Congrats on the weight loss and the choice to exercise and be philanthropic.

Beating a dead horse.
I maintain that you'll also a faster rider if you supplemented with weight lifting. You ever see folders after they figured out Tiger Woods was successful with a weight program.

I'm not sure of any X fitters on this board but on the Subaru car forum I'm on, there's a substantial amount of members crossfitting.

My girlfriend has been doing it for about three years. I've been at a Crossfit affiliate (so a place that actually pays to use the name Crossfit in its business) for the last year and half.

I've been strong before and I've been well conditioned before but I've never been both so strong and well conditioned at the same time.

What city are you in?

I think every single person I have on facebook is a cross fitter. They talk about it every single day.

here are my findings.

1st Rule about Crossfit - Tell everyone you're doing crossfit. Post Daily
2nd Rule about Crossfit- Tell everyone when you're done doing crossfit. Post Daily
3rd Rule about Crossfit - Tell everyone how you're in the best shape of your life because of crossfit. Post Daily
4th Rule about Crossfit - Take pictures of your "paleo" dinner and intertwine with crossfit. Post daily.
5th Rule about Crossfit - Check in at Cross fit. Daily

Oh did I forget to tell you, I'm doing crossfit at Joe shchmoes's intense crossfit gym in an old abandoned warehoue flipping tires and doing box squats and wall sits all day.

[/rant]

Last edited:

What city are you in?
I'm in Fredericksburg, Virginia. I know of several CrossFit establishments that my buddies go to but most of them are up north in NoVA or MD. I'll have to do some searching for a local place.

I'm in Fredericksburg, Virginia. I know of several CrossFit establishments that my buddies go to but most of them are up north in NoVA or MD. I'll have to do some searching for a local place.

Didn't google where this is in relationship to you, but Outlaw is one of the BEST crossfit boxes in the entire country.

Outlaw CrossFit | In Omnia Paratus

I think every single person I have on facebook is a cross fitter. They talk about it every single day.

here are my findings.

1st Rule about Crossfit - Tell everyone you're doing crossfit. Post Daily
2nd Rule about Crossfit- Tell everyone when you're done doing crossfit. Post Daily
3rd Rule about Crossfit - Tell everyone how you're in the best shape of your life because of crossfit. Post Daily
4th Rule about Crossfit - Take pictures of your "paleo" dinner and intertwine with crossfit. Post daily.
5th Rule about Crossfit - Check in at Cross fit. Daily

Oh did I forget to tell you, I'm doing crossfit at Joe shchmoes's intense crossfit gym in an old abandoned warehoue flipping tires and doing box squats and wall sits all day.

[/rant]

That sounds about accurate. People get TOO wrapped up. I have to keep my girlfriend from talking about it too much - and remind her that its not about crossfit but about being healthy and exercising in general. She found her calling through crossfit though, like many others, so that's what they associate with as being the great calling.

I like it, its a good program - better than most people know how to develop on their own, which is what makes it simple and effective.

The question I'd ask, is are those people seeing results? I see everyone talk about when they go to the gym (including non crossfitters) but I've never seen such a wide range of people get dramatic results as the people that throw themselves into crossfit. (Now that's because many never exercised before or had a bad routine and no diet - but I see people come into the gym as flabby and weak and leave months later as fit and strong.

Whats up with all those retarded ass knee high socks and glow in the dark shoes? lol

I'm not a fan of crossfit. Yes, many people love it. I think it lacks structure. do this as many times as you can for an hour! WOO HOO!!! retarded. That's not how you get results that improve your health. The trainer I worked with back in the fall and I talked about those style of classes and how they just don't work for the program, they work for themselves, day of. a REAL program targets items in logical progressions.

Whats up with all those retarded ass knee high socks and glow in the dark shoes? lol

I'm not a fan of crossfit. Yes, many people love it. I think it lacks structure. do this as many times as you can for an hour! WOO HOO!!! retarded. That's not how you get results that improve your health. The trainer I worked with back in the fall and I talked about those style of classes and how they just don't work for the program, they work for themselves, day of. a REAL program targets items in logical progressions.

See, that's the misconception your trainer has about crossfit.

Check out the outlaw site I posted above. He follows the same principles as Louie Simmons, the founder of Westside Barbell and probably the most respected person in the world for weight lifting programs.

Yes, the workout changes every day for Crossfit but it should still follow a logical progression, when done correctly.

I follow Wendler's 5/3/1 for my strength program before I do any WODs. If you just follow the program as prescribed, you'll put 50lbs on your squat and deadlift max in a year and 25lbs on your bench press and shoulder press. That's as logical progression as it gets.

The WODs should be the same way. You use building movements that eventually turn into a very complex, complete movement like a snatch. So one week you may work on medicine ball cleans, the next a sumo deadlift high pull, the next, an overhead squat. When you put all three of those movements together, it becomes a snatch. That's how you program progression in Crossfit. You also program for different energy systems - so whether the workout is going to be a 5 minute sprint type workout or a 20 minute 'chipper' or whether its going to involve heavy weights or light weights.

No workout should last more than 15 minutes on a regular basis. So the misconception of an hour is bunk. Not even the toughest workouts should take an hour - even if they're done once a month.

Again, basically your trainer was spouting off stuff he doesn't know. His bootcamp is essentially crossfit without the Olympic weightlifting. Ooops! Not saying one is better than the other, but personally, I think olympic weightlifting should be the foundation for pretty much all workout routines (there's a reason why its in the olympics, used in every high school and college gym for basically every sport, etc., etc). I've also done MMA/Muay Thai style workouts that didn't include any of the weight elements but I supplemented that on my own.

Last edited:
I think any program is great. Crossfit will get you in good shape. So will a lot of other stuff if you're disciplined. There isn't a secret workout. But Crossfit has the energetic and camaraderie feel that people want, combined with HIIT/Weights/ETC it's a win win.

I bet youll be haulin ass now that youre nearly 30lbs lighter! :p

:D

Congrats on the weight loss and the choice to exercise and be philanthropic.

Beating a dead horse.
I maintain that you'll also a faster rider if you supplemented with weight lifting. You ever see folders after they figured out Tiger Woods was successful with a weight program.

Honestly, I'm faster than most people I know... I have a sprinter's build. 35mph in the flat on a mountain bike is nothing to sneeze at. It's the endurance I need.

I think any program is great. Crossfit will get you in good shape. So will a lot of other stuff if you're disciplined. There isn't a secret workout. But Crossfit has the energetic and camaraderie feel that people want, combined with HIIT/Weights/ETC it's a win win.

I don't understand how people can do crossfit 5 days a week? When does your body have time to recover before you break it down again? That being said, my wife did it for about 5 months and saw huge improvements in physique. The hardest part for her was not stepping on a scale. She actually gained weight by the time she was done (muscle of course). Luckily her trainer encouraged her to take body measurements through the process and that is were she truly saw the gains...besides in the mirror

I don't understand how people can do crossfit 5 days a week? When does your body have time to recover before you break it down again?

Most people don't even begin to tear down the muscle because they don't train hard enough. They just go through the motions and expect that results will follow.

Getting in truly good shape requires hard work. After you get there, it is fairly easy to maintain. The transformation is the hardest part.

i went with my wife once and got my fucking ass kicked! drank to much water during the workout and threw it up outside lol

2013-06-08_weight.jpg

170.6 this morning. No more hCG after this morning's shot- now time to stabilize.

Check out MyFitnessPal, it has a great network and extensive database of foods with their nutritional value to log your daily intake. Also, you can log exercise to see what your net calories for the day are. Pretty cool app/website.

Back