Weird Problem w/ troubleshooting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khai_tuan_nguyen

Here is the problem.
My b20 vtec won't start. Here is the story and symptoms as well as what I have done so far.

It drove, started and idled fine up till now. I took a three hour trip in 70-80 degree wheather. About halfway I noticed a tiny tiny tiny drop of fuel leakage from the gage on my AEM fuel rail. I tightened it and went another 150 or so miles to my destination. When I got there I checked the leak and it was leaking a lot more, probably because I overtightened it. Anyhow I got teflon tape and fixed the leak. When I got done I started it and the gage read 40 psi and there is no more leak. I shut it off and did not drive it for three days. When I went to start it it started and died instatly then I tried to start it again and it cranked, but not close to the first time I cranked it. I checked fuses and they are fine. The battery is good. I Checked the gage at the rail and I am getting fuel there. I checked for spark and I am getting that. The spark is not a huge blue, so I figured I fouled them from driving 150 miles with that leak. I went and got new plugs and still the same. It just cranks. When I push the pedal and try to start it it can stay alive, but when I let the gas off it dies.

Any ideas or other troubleshooting ideas?

Hey thanks for the help guys. I did not mess with the spark plug wires until after it didn't start, but I checked the firing order. I can hear the fuel pump and it is working and if it was bad would the fuel gage still read 40 psi?

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. I hope to find what is wrong soon. I am trying to get home.

It should be on teh back of your intake manifold. It has two coolant hoses feeding into the bottom of it.

Originally posted by B16CRX@May 31 2005, 07:28 PM
It should be on teh back of your intake manifold. It has two coolant hoses feeding into the bottom of it.
[post=505812]Quoted post[/post]​

yup it is plugged in. I got the car to start, but die by appying some gas.

Any other ideas?

Originally posted by khai_tuan_nguyen+Jun 2 2005, 12:13 AM-->
@May 31 2005, 07:28 PM
[post=505812]Quoted post[/post]​

yup it is plugged in. I got the car to start, but die by appying some gas.

Any other ideas?
[post=506523]Quoted post[/post]​

If it dies when you apply gas, you arent getting a good spark. Did you replce the cap, rotor, ignitor, coil, wores, and plugs yet?

Originally posted by B16CRX@Jun 2 2005, 12:31 PM
....or the timing is off.... Does it run smoothly when it does run?
[post=506752]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes it runs smoothly when it does run.

Is it possible to get spark, but not a strong enough spark?

I dont mean when it ran before this. I mean, when you start it now, does it run smooth? Or does it start at all? I would definitely set the cam/crank timing if I were you.

I had my timing go off a couple times while I was driving and it always happened when my ignitor went out for some reason. Wierd..

but yea, check your timing. If you are getting gas and spark, but it wont run then timing is off.

Originally posted by B16CRX@Jun 3 2005, 08:15 AM
I dont mean when it ran before this. I mean, when you start it now, does it run smooth? Or does it start at all? I would definitely set the cam/crank timing if I were you.

I had my timing go off a couple times while I was driving and it always happened when my ignitor went out for some reason. Wierd..

but yea, check your timing. If you are getting gas and spark, but it wont run then timing is off.
[post=507235]Quoted post[/post]​

timing is good. I am getting spark and fuel, but when I checked for spark I thought it was suppose to be a bright blue arc, but instead I got a weaker yellow or white spark. I didn't see any blue.

Thanks for the help B16

Check your IACV same thing happend on mine when i first fired it from a rebuild I did. The IACV was closed and not letting air into the intake. Check the IACV and see if that works. Do this take of the IACV on the back of the intake manifold and see if the car will start up. If i does the the IACV is not working properly. If i dosent the theres a problem somewhere else. heres a pic of what it should look like Here it is let me know what you find.

ya boy steveo

Back