Well, this sucks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

At $5 a gallon, I'd start taking public transportation for most of my travelling. Defenitly for my daily work communte. I'd sacrifice that extra hour or so extra it would take.

Originally posted by integraslut78+Aug 18 2005, 10:04 AM-->
Shit I paid that for 91 yesterday Chevron of course if you want you can mark this
down as another reason Cali sucks if you want Bri.
[post=541754]Quoted post[/post]​

done :)
:lol:

Originally posted by reckedracing@Aug 18 2005, 10:20 AM
if oil became extremely unprofitable i bet we would see an alternative energy source up and running within 2 years providing it can use some of the existing infrastructure...

hydrogen is practically stable right now.... problem is, theres no filling stations anywhere....

and it really is amusing how fuel/petro prices keep rising, but the oil companies are bragging about having the most profitable quarters EVER...

thats just great...

welcome to bush and cheeeeeeeeeeeeny's master plan. if you voted for them, congrats.

and how about taxation without representation...
taxing something that is a necessity should be illegal, kinda like how food has no sales tax (in NY)

in ct, theres no tax on BASIC foods (bread/milk/veggies/etc) but chips, soda, and crap do.
also, there is no sales tax on clothes under 49.99. 50 and over, get taxed.

but gas isn't really a necessity.
there's public transportation, theres walking, theres bikes... driving is a privilage, not a right, nor a necessisty. its just become a way of life.

If you never drove again- you could still live a well and healthy life.

can't say the same about clothing and food.

i heard an average figure of 40 cents per gallon goes to fed and state taxes...
2 bucks a gallon goes to gouging :ph34r:
[post=541760]Quoted post[/post]​

it is law in ct to post the taxes on the pump. i haven't looked at them in a while, but i know that the ct state tax is higher by almost double the fed tax. i think its like 30 cents for fed, and 65 -70 for state if memory serves.

the fed tax goes into the interstate highways and such.... so i have no problem paying that.
the state tax goes into state roads.

so, technically, you ARE represented.

you don't directly pay the tax on the fuel--- the oil companies/opec does, and then sells it to mobil or whatever...

92civicb18b1
@Aug 18 2005, 10:46 AM
Crude oil prices have been steadily rising since the late 1990s. The price of light crude closed at $36.70 a barrel on Tuesday in trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

barrel- Any of various units of volume or capacity. In the U.S. Customary System it varies, as a liquid measure, from 31 to 42 gallons (120 to 159 liters) as established by law or usage.
[post=541769]Quoted post[/post]​

36 a barrel?? where are you getting your specs. its well over $60 now.

Crude oil prices have been steadily rising since the late 1990s. The price of light crude closed at $36.70 a barrel on Tuesday in trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

where did you get this?

http://www.nymex.com/

crude is at 63.05 a barrell today...
36.70 is from way back

i knew i should have invested in oil
damn it

edit: damn you beat me to it B

welcome to bush and cheeeeeeeeeeeeny's master plan. if you voted for them, congrats.

it would be a cold day in hell before i voted for that tag team of lower to middle class economic rapists

there's public transportation, theres walking, theres bikes... driving is a privilage, not a right, nor a necessisty. its just become a way of life.

maybe in a city, but in the middle of nowhere, where i happen to live, if you've got a 30 minute ride to the nearest hospital i could only imagine how long that bike ride would take... but i agree its not a NECESSITY...

i just did a quick google search. probably outdated.

I have to disagree. I think driving is a necessity. From experience of living in the Poconos, you NEED a car.
Sure there were a few buses a day, but they were 6 miles from my house.
You want a taxi, the closest taxi was 30 miles away, so they'll come and take you where ever you want, but it's $125.
Gas, well the nearest station was 4 miles away.
You got a bus to school. So you want to walk to High School? Start 2 days early cause it was 32 miles away.
Middle school, plan on walking down the busiest street in the area for 7 miles.
State Troopers took/take an average 30-45 minutes to reach a call. They only come by on holidays and/or if someone calls.
Oh and my bus stop was 2.4 miles from my house.

I'm going to bogart all of the HF engines.. I'll buy em all up at $50 bucks a pop.. Then when gas gets around 5 bucks a gallon, I'll sell em to you poor bastards at a thousand a pop.

Wouldn't that be a change.. Street racers bragging about gas mileage instead of horsepower...

HF swap baby! 56 miles to the gallon!

Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 18 2005, 08:14 AM
I'm going to bogart all of the HF engines.. I'll buy em all up at $50 bucks a pop.. Then when gas gets around 5 bucks a gallon, I'll sell em to you poor bastards at a thousand a pop.

Wouldn't that be a change.. Street racers bragging about gas mileage instead of horsepower...

HF swap baby! 56 miles to the gallon!
[post=541788]Quoted post[/post]​

You're forgetting that half the reason the HF gets the mileage it does is because the CRX HF is so goddamn light and the HF tranny is geared taller. An HF engine in much of anything heavier than an EF hatch would just get you abysmal performance, and the gas mileage wouldn't be that great cause you'd have to rap it out every time you wanted to get up to speed.

yeah, i'd probably just pick up a 96-00 civic hx for a daily/beater and put the sti in the garage/race day. still some power to go somewhere, and still 40 mpg.

DAMN 40 cents is a big jump. Now all I need is to find someone to lend me a few hundred thousand.

I tell ya, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another EJ coupe. I swear my old DX coupe got like 40 MPG. it was insane. God I wish I hadn't ruined that car.

i havent gotten gas in like 2.5 weeks... i have no idea what prices are like right now
i might need some early next week though

damn i love my Insight :wub:

A lot of people are yelling at me for this lately, but their counter argument sucks. I encourage you to step up to the plate and challenge my findings:

YEah Yeah yeah... Inflation. Inflation adjusted, the record for gasoline is 1890 at $192 a barrel. That's $10 per gallon at the inception of the automobile.

Then, in 1980 When the Shah was ousted from Iranian government and replaced by the world-hating Ayatollah Khomeini, gasoline was, inflation adjusted, $80+ per barrel. That's $3.00+ National average. That meant that gas was about $4/gal in California. Then it levelled out, and finally came back down when new strategies were reached in the way that OPEC sells oil and tracks it (in 1982 OPEC abandoned it's oil-charting methods and now continues to flow, surprisingly enough, un-metered at the ground. They do not pump oil, they pressure inject it and make it shoot out of the ground.)

OPEC Oil is the cheapest on the planet. THEY are not selling their oil at $60+ a barrel. Their prices are more like high 40's, low 50's. You can check http://www.petroleumworld.com for current market prices from the world suppliers. The high price of light sweet is brought up by the exact things that everyone thought would save us:

Alternative and domestic fuel sources. Things like the Canadian heavy crude scrape from coal. Biodeisels and even hemp fuels. This stuff ain't cheap. Granted, it doesn't come from under a turban, but still.

China is now using more oil than ever before. But the US still makes their efforts look childish. Gasoline there at US $1 can't be afforded by them still. It's like charging us $5 per gallon. They simply don't make the money there. That said, they get most of their oil from Siberia. Their markets haven't even started to affect us. That, and the US sells them oil, but we'll get into that shortly.

Actually, fuck it - We'll get into it now. The US has oil. And we sell oil. Why do we do that? We do that because we can't get our oil to our own areas. We have the Alaskan Pipeline which is operating at full capacity. We would need to build a second pipeline to get oil down here to us. We have to ship oil from Alaska to the US aboard tankers (Exxon Valdez ring a bell?). That is costly. With our modern techniques for drilling and refining oil, the high pay that we give our workers, and our expensive anti-tragedy technologies, We end up paying almost twice for our OWN oil as we do for sloppy OPEC oils. So, We sell our oil to Japan, China, Russia (Who has a mysterious economy anyway) and to the Pacific rim countries. They will pay prices because getting oil from the Middle East is REALLY tough for them. We sell most of our own oil because we simply get more money for it than OPEC does.

OPEC is a conglomeration of several countries, not just muslim countries (Although, Islam is the dominant religion, so it's hard to say). Venezuela, for instance, has a non-muslim government, but it's also one of the most corrupt in the world.

Our world supply and demand: We HAVE enough oil for the world for a few hundred years. Yeah, you heard me - Hundreds of years. But the problem is that they can't get the oil out of the ground fast enough. The biggest problems we have had this year have been the hard-hit offshore platforms that need to be abandoned with every storm and hurricane. When a hurricane hits, the platform is SHUT DOWN. That means that millions of barrels are shut down for a rainy day. Then, they are left for days while crews evaluate the platforms for damage. Sometimes, the helicopters will bring crews in only to find that the platform is MISSING. One of the US's super-platforms this year was found 600 miles north of it's plotted location. They had to tow it back and it was down for more than 2 weeks. There are only 4 platforms of this size in the world. This happens every year too, this isn't special.

We, being Americans are impressed with our new ability to tune in to world politics, and we are prepared to explain with what we know at hand. Does it make sense to you that gasoline jumps $.75 a gallon because a new king is installed ? No. But for some reason we equate the two anyway - Because it's what we know.

Finally, Gasoline and Oil will CONTINUE to rise to it's inflation-adjusted peak of $80 a barrel (Not the 1890 highs, because the world had 2 refineries in 1890). It HAS to rise to that price. And it has to rise to that price because of the way economy works. No trend has ever stopped short of it's records - Because then we wouldn't have inflation. It will continue to rise to $80, $90 and even $100 a barrel before falling again to a more easily dealt-with $50 -$55 a barrel. And it will stay there for 15 or more years, before hiking again to $10 a gallon at the pumps.

Everything now is inflated. You guys are really young, so you may know, but you're not intimate with the very recent histories of economy. When I graduated highschool (When some of you were 5) gasoline was $1.10 per gallon, Cigarettes were $2.25 and a can of Soup was $.40 a can. EVERYTHING has doubled, and Gasoline is just now catching up. Everything has doubled in 12 years. Clothing, food, rents, medical costs, everything. The exception is this: Cars are cheaper than before (Inflation adjusted) and housing is RIDICULOUSLY inflated. With cars being so cheap, we can now see 18 year olds in 2004 Audis and shit. You NEVER saw that when I was 18. When I was 18 (1994) MAYBE one kid in your high school had a new car, and it never got hotter than a Mustang 5.0. Our parents couldn't afford a fuckin Audi.

So with prices going the way they are going, are you surprised to see gas this high ? Gasoline will NEVER get below $2.40 a gallon again. Sorry, see ya. It simply can't get that low.

Read on for Part 2 - While I take a break and let you absorb this. Part 2 will be shorter, I promise.

Cliff's Notes Fuck it, I have sat here and typed this out to educate you - I'm very well experienced in the utilities and fuels industry, and only if you read it can you feel better about what's going on today. So read it, and it will put your mind at ease.

i agree with that. cost of living has risen... but wages haven't moved.

i've been at my place 3 years now, and i've received one raise of 5k-- which turns into about $76 more every 2 weeks. hardly anything substaintial.

Back