Well, this sucks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well, in the past 3 years i've made a substantial improvement.

Working at Mickey D's as a manager at 8.XX/hr. I'm now a manager at Tristate Auction and make between 16-21/hr. Still live with the parents, but just getting out of debt before I look to move.

I am going to get very preachy here, But please you must realise that I love you guys, and I'm not getting into a personal attack.

But (Some of) you guys are fucking stupid.

I don't think that you guys intend to do this, But you're below the age of 25 and you're still retarded.

How the fuck can someone who has purchased, and then proceeds to sell other people on the same, 17mpg 4 cylinder , going to then turn around and bad mouth Bush ? You're Really, really, really, braindead. You're going to bash SUV drivers and then abandon your fuel-efficient and earth-friendy Honda for your 17 mpg status-wagon..... and then come here and fucking whine that Bush and Cheney are ruining the world ?

The same people who think that SUV owners are retarded for thinking that they are safer in a 17 mpg Ute, and then go on about how dangerous Motorcycles are ?

You guys need a fuckin reality check.

Now, onto part 2:

I'm going to slightly bash how Bush and Cheney are ruining the world :) But at, the same time I'm going to point out what likely will have happened with Kerry / Edwards.

George Bush and his cronies are oil people. They know about oil than any of the world-wide resources and watchdog groups do about oil. They know the inside secrets because they are part of the inside secrets. They know how the market works, and they know how to make money from the market. It's how they got to where they are today. They will be drilling in refuge areas to extract oil using the most advanced technology of the day because in 2012, we will still be paying the lowest fuel prices of anyone in the world. And I thank them - From the bottom of my heart - For being so minded that they would do this. But, in the meantime, they are doing something that is very unappealing to the masses:

They are selling our oil, and buying this world-wide OPEC (And friends) shit oil. It's oil that comes from under the thumbs of the most ruthless dictators, kings, and terrorist factions of the world. We seem to keep them in business.

For an explanation of why, Allow me to take you down the yellow brick road of John Kerry.

Kerry wanted to keep our US oil in US hands. He was pushing to avoid foreign oils (Not completely ban them, but he did want to reduce our demand) and make our US suppliers sell to US interests. This would make fuel about $4 a gallon right now. Now, I want you to imagine two oil companies. Exxon / Mobil, and Citgo. Citgo buys it's oil from US reserves, and Exxon / Mobil buys it's oil from foreign lands. The foreign lands are still getting oil out of the ground for $40 a barrel. They, in turn are selling it remarkably cheaper than Citgo is. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to see where this is going.

So Kerry dictates that US oil companies are to co-own platforms and oil fields. They are to make the same product and sell for the same prices. And that, is communism. You can't have a free market if companies simply aren't allowed to compete or make their own money. Oil companies would be stupid to continue buying from US oil fields.

So Kerry plays into the OPEC thing to keep prices down, and touts his "anti-inflation bills" that reward new business and reward new alternative fuel R&D. This is his plan, I'm not extropolating here. He drives up prices to peak in order to make Alternative fuels more promising and more investment worthy. And we, in September of 2005, are paying $8 a gallon for fuel. The OPEC lines have been freed up so that China is no longer buying oil from the US and Russia, and they are now paying $.50 , USD, for a gallon of gas. Suddenly China peaks out - They can commute to new, more promising jobs in the cities. Their economy picks up and they fill the gap in the OPEC lines to drive the prices right back up to beyond where they are now. China is just an example, this type of phenomonen happens world-wide.

So now we are investing in alternative fuel sources because of the rally in our usual markets. And we push to a completely new layout of US Infrastructure pumping where our most promising fuel of the day - Hydrogen - Is now installed in US refueling stations. And where is the Hydrogen going to come from ? It's going to come from electrolysis plants that are powered by fossil fuels, coal, or if we are lucky - electrohydraulics. The Hydrogen market becomes the new Dot-Com, and it's a false feeling of cheap fuels that will ultimately crash, leaving us 2 levels deep into a transportation nightmare.

This was the Republican counter-argument for this plan. A complete break down in the next few years.

What our government is doing now is locking in our bids to be a world-competitive buyer in the oil markets. If we back out, someone will step forward to take our place and when we return to the market, there won't be room for us. This is where China is right now. There simply isn't room for them to work this market.

Remember back during the elections when I made a post that explained: "If you vote for Bush, you will make our gas dependencies long and drawn out - But if you vote for Kerry you will get the high prices over with quickly"? Well this is the heart of both plans.

The only answer comes down to where you decide to buy gas, what car you decide to drive, and how you decide to drive / modify it. If YOU work away from the goal of economical and efficient cars, the YOU are the blame for the problem.

It's that simple.

->Steve

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 18 2005, 11:37 AM
Too bad the economy and therefore wages aren't keeping up with inflation. At least not in my area.
[post=541859]Quoted post[/post]​

No, you're very right here. Raises will never keep up with inflation. You HAVE to look at the job market in the same way that 92civicb18b1 and I do. You have to continue to grow your talents, and actively seek out new employment.

As a professional consultant, I can tell you that resumes now are commonly full of "3 year permanent jobs". No one can live with a "permanent" job. It's not like it used to be.

People are no longer frowning on an active resume. Take advantage of that.

My resume is now 4 pages long. I used to get really told off about that - They would say "this resume makes you like you can't commit". They didn't understand that being a consultant did that. Now, they are understanding of how someone HAS to move. They HAVE to grow. That's how our new over-populated economy MUST work. We need to move on to let newer people into the field. Soon, and in your kid's lifetimes, it will be commonplace for people to go to school, and work at a "permanent" job for about 2 years. It has to be done that way, until we are all at the top percentiles for skilled labor.

-> Steve

Our economy is STILL based on blue collar work, when we are living in a white collar world. With technologies moving forward, the top 3rd percentile fueling it, We are all still finding ways to make money in Landscaping. And that's horseshit. We are the most advanced country in the world, and we are full of people who mow lawns.

Quick note:

If you're looking towards fuel additives as a key to making this all make sense, don't. IT's fuel additives that have gotten us comfortable in cheap gasoline.

If today's modern engines were around in 1983 when gasoline was pure, we would be getting 100 mpg from them. Ethanol and MTBEs burn so fuckin quick that it's amazing. Example: My 1981 Celica got 18 mpg when I got rid of it. IT never used to, and it's compression and running gear were in great shape. It had 120k miles on it. It simply wasn't made to run on today's fuels. My Civic in 1974 would have put an end to the gas crisis world-wide.

Originally posted by Celerity+Aug 18 2005, 10:11 AM-->
Battle Pope
@Aug 18 2005, 11:37 AM
Too bad the economy and therefore wages aren't keeping up with inflation. At least not in my area.
[post=541859]Quoted post[/post]​

No, you're very right here. Raises will never keep up with inflation. You HAVE to look at the job market in the same way that 92civicb18b1 and I do. You have to continue to grow your talents, and actively seek out new employment.

As a professional consultant, I can tell you that resumes now are commonly full of "3 year permanent jobs". No one can live with a "permanent" job. It's not like it used to be.

People are no longer frowning on an active resume. Take advantage of that.

My resume is now 4 pages long. I used to get really told off about that - They would say "this resume makes you like you can't commit". They didn't understand that being a consultant did that. Now, they are understanding of how someone HAS to move. They HAVE to grow. That's how our new over-populated economy MUST work. We need to move on to let newer people into the field. Soon, and in your kid's lifetimes, it will be commonplace for people to go to school, and work at a "permanent" job for about 2 years. It has to be done that way, until we are all at the top percentiles for skilled labor.

-> Steve

Our economy is STILL based on blue collar work, when we are living in a white collar world. With technologies moving forward, the top 3rd percentile fueling it, We are all still finding ways to make money in Landscaping. And that's horseshit. We are the most advanced country in the world, and we are full of people who mow lawns.
[post=541872]Quoted post[/post]​

See, this I can understand. But, living here is a very delicate position. I can't move away because I can't get the total funds together to finance a move. The economy and job market here is so bad that if you leave a stable job, you might not find another one for a year or more. Oregon, specifically Coos County, for the past about 4 years has been completely devoid of any sort of job market.

Mill laborers are the highest paid people in the county. It makes me doubt my humanity somewhat when someone can get hired on at a sawmill pulling green chain, with NO EXPERIENCE, and their STARTING WAGE is higher than my wages after being with the same company for more than 2 years.

Yes, it's going to be tough - I went through this dynamic in 2003 (The worst year EV4R). You will make it through, the state will catch up. Just keep looking, and keep your expenses simple, and you'll make it fine.

And stay single.

-> Steve

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 18 2005, 10:21 AM
Yes, it's going to be tough - I went through this dynamic in 2003 (The worst year EV4R).  You will make it through, the state will catch up.  Just keep looking, and keep your expenses simple, and you'll make it fine.

And stay single.

-> Steve
[post=541878]Quoted post[/post]​

The problem is that Oregon has been very much a "labor state" for a long time. Coos county especially. Ocean fishing, sawmills, logging, that sort of thing.

Conflicts with both the environment and the people that support it has effectively cut down most of the area's prevalent industries. The job market crashed 4 or 5 years ago. The area has too many people and not enough jobs. Kind of echos the entire country, eh? Yeah.

Oregon is having trouble moving forward. Unfortunately, had I entered the job market 2 or 3 years ago with a smile and an associate's degree, I could have gotten one of the mythical tech jobs that I keep hearing about and been making 35 dollars an hour. Unfortunately, all the tech jobs popped up about 3 or 4 years ago and were immediately flooded with the people that saw it coming and managed to get degrees in time. I was born too late, and the only college I have access to is terrible. I probably won't have any sort of degree for at least another year and a half. And I'm only working toward an associates! Of course, having to maintain 32 hours per week due to measly wages and minimum hours to keep my insurance isn't helping.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not single, but I'm not married. Long-term relationship. Fortunately we both understand that money is hard to come by and don't expect much financially from each other. Eventually we plan to get married, but not till we're both financially stable.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Aug 18 2005, 11:09 AM
i havent gotten gas in like 2.5 weeks... i have no idea what prices are like right now
i might need some early next week though

damn i love my Insight :wub:
[post=541836]Quoted post[/post]​

You should, You do things intelligently. Grab a Honda, enjoy your hobby (with the Sol) and then ride a bike / get a fuel-efficient car for your daily. Done deal.
You are part of the solution.

Myself, well I hope to catch up. I drive the Civic mostly and get some amazing mileage figures (If I drive it right). But the Civic is shared now adays, and soon it will be going to my mother so she can enjoy good gas mileage while working for lower wages than my own.

Then I'm back behind the wheel of my 4Runner. 33" tires, 6.5' tall 2.4 liter SUV that gets 25 / 30 city/high reliably. But I put a lot of work into that motor to get that. And still, my time with the 4Runner is limited before it becomes so tough to fuel that it no longer makes sense. Where I differ from you is that my project / sports car STILL gets over 35 mpg. So my daily driver is the more gas hungry of the two. And my GF and I decided that I won't be on a bike, so I have to work something else out (I am looking at a scooter tonight)

But the WRX was a lie. It's 20-25 mpg sticker (Of which my gf thought very heavily about before buying) is optimistic at best. That car couldn't get 25 mpg in freefall.

-> Steve

oh boy, here we go.... lol

How the fuck can someone who has purchased, and then proceeds to sell other people on the same, 17mpg 4 cylinder , going to then turn around and bad mouth Bush ? You're Really, really, really, braindead.

i don't put the two together.

The car- is bad ass. i'd recommend it to anyone. This is hondaswap.com. we like performance. this is not insightcentral.com were theres weekly comps as to who can net 90mpg for a whole tank. Find me ONE post where i bitched about gas prices. I have STATED that i paid 2.99 to fill up the other day-- but did i bitch about it? nope. Frankly, I don't really care. the 15-20 bucks more it costs me is not something i'm going to lose sleep over. i'm not pov.

Bush- is a fucking retard. but there's enough threads on that aleady here....

I'd pay good money to see Paul Sr. from OCC get into a debate with Bush.
that could quite possibly be the funniest shit, ever.
2 retarded, stubourn fucks who don't have a clue trying to prove their point.

how's it go? What was is was and what is is is, and what is is now ... or some shit?

You're going to bash SUV drivers and then abandon your fuel-efficient and earth-friendy Honda for your 17 mpg status-wagon..... and then come here and fucking whine that Bush and Cheney are ruining the world ?

i don't bash suv drivers because they don't get good gas mileage-- i bash them because not a single one of them can fucking drive the thing-- and more so, less than .25 of 1% of the population actually use them for what they were made for. Off roading.

MY car was built for rally, but has been derrived for pavement here in the states. I've raced it at autox... i've ripped it through the northwest corner plenty of times. I've used it was it was intended... maybe up to 20-30% of the time. a far cry from .25%

The same people who think that SUV owners are retarded for thinking that they are safer in a 17 mpg Ute, and then go on about how dangerous Motorcycles are ?

suvs are FAR safer than bikes. sure, they roll over daily... but i know a HELL of a lot more people who have dumped/crashed/or been killed on a bike, and i can't name you one that i know whos rolled an SUV.

You guys need a fuckin reality check.

enlighten me, oh master of reality....

They are selling our oil, and buying this world-wide OPEC (And friends) shit oil. It's oil that comes from under the thumbs of the most ruthless dictators, kings, and terrorist factions of the world. We seem to keep them in business.

For an explanation of why, Allow me to take you down the yellow brick road of John Kerry.

i'll stop you right there.

I've read that total US holdings excede 30 years at current consumption. Now, this is just what we have in the earth in texas and such... i don't knwo if it includes alaska or not..

be that as it may-

All we have to do, is STOP buying oil from opec/middle east for 2 years.
we have PLENTY to hold us over.

and when the middle east starves because they have nothing to export, they will lower their prices DRASTICALLY to eat.

that, or bomb us or some shit... fucking pussies. but anyway...

stop buying for 2 years, we drop our supply to 28 years left...

if shit goes sour and we have 5 more years of negotiations-- so be it. theres still plenty of oil left.

how is this not practical?

fuck the exports. let THEM deal with opec if they want it. I'm sure the proft margin isn't huge on that.

Kerry wanted to keep our US oil in US hands. He was pushing to avoid foreign oils (Not completely ban them, but he did want to reduce our demand) and make our US suppliers sell to US interests. This would make fuel about $4 a gallon right now.

maybe i shouldn't have stopped you.... because this is what i just said.

But how do you figure it would automatically make it $4 a gallon? we already have it. its just sitting there.
what does buying from another country have to do with prices of an invientory that already exists have anything to do with it?

I don't buy this.

The only way it would go to $4 a gallon would be if the owners of said oil companies made it that way- or the feds taxed it that way.

And even still.... $1 more a gallon, to put those towel headed fucks in check would be so worth it to me... and probably a good portion of americans.

Now, I want you to imagine two oil companies. Exxon / Mobil, and Citgo. Citgo buys it's oil from US reserves, and Exxon / Mobil buys it's oil from foreign lands. The foreign lands are still getting oil out of the ground for $40 a barrel. They, in turn are selling it remarkably cheaper than Citgo is. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to see where this is going.

looks like your exxon statement is correct, but it looks like shitgo buyers from south america.
http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2005/06/318554.shtml

So Kerry dictates that US oil companies are to co-own platforms and oil fields. They are to make the same product and sell for the same prices. And that, is communism. You can't have a free market if companies simply aren't allowed to compete or make their own money. Oil companies would be stupid to continue buying from US oil fields.

agreed.

who ever owns it should sell it for what they want-- within fed guidelines (just like power) to a distributor.

So Kerry plays into the OPEC thing to keep prices down, and touts his "anti-inflation bills" that reward new business and reward new alternative fuel R&D. This is his plan, I'm not extropolating here. He drives up prices to peak in order to make Alternative fuels more promising and more investment worthy. And we, in September of 2005, are paying $8 a gallon for fuel. The OPEC lines have been freed up so that China is no longer buying oil from the US and Russia, and they are now paying $.50 , USD, for a gallon of gas. Suddenly China peaks out - They can commute to new, more promising jobs in the cities. Their economy picks up and they fill the gap in the OPEC lines to drive the prices right back up to beyond where they are now. China is just an example, this type of phenomonen happens world-wide.

from an investment point of view, thats not a bad idea.

its what they are doing with cigarettes... they are trying to make them not affordable so less people smoke.
to an extent, its worked... i think less kids are starting now-a-days... but the rest of us who have been smoking for 8+ years don't give a shit and will buy regardless. i remember paynig $1.80 for marlboros' and the vedning machines were $2. and no one bought from the machine because it was so much more expensive.

this was 1997.

amazing how things change, huh?

but anyway... the whole kerry thing driving up to 8/gallon i think COULD be a good idea- it's just premature. we aren't ready for it yet.

and you agree.....

So now we are investing in alternative fuel sources because of the rally in our usual markets. And we push to a completely new layout of US Infrastructure pumping where our most promising fuel of the day - Hydrogen - Is now installed in US refueling stations. And where is the Hydrogen going to come from ? It's going to come from electrolysis plants that are powered by fossil fuels, coal, or if we are lucky - electrohydraulics. The Hydrogen market becomes the new Dot-Com, and it's a false feeling of cheap fuels that will ultimately crash, leaving us 2 levels deep into a transportation nightmare.

This was the Republican counter-argument for this plan. A complete break down in the next few years.

the dotcom boom was a flop because everyone and their mother thought they could make a profit out of it... so they started businesses. if everyone and their mother is opening up hydrogen plants, i'm moving to antartica.

What our government is doing now is locking in our bids to be a world-competitive buyer in the oil markets. If we back out, someone will step forward to take our place and when we return to the market, there won't be room for us. This is where China is right now. There simply isn't room for them to work this market.

Remember back during the elections when I made a post that explained: "If you vote for Bush, you will make our gas dependencies long and drawn out - But if you vote for Kerry you will get the high prices over with quickly"? Well this is the heart of both plans.

The only answer comes down to where you decide to buy gas, what car you decide to drive, and how you decide to drive / modify it. If YOU work away from the goal of economical and efficient cars, the YOU are the blame for the problem.

It's that simple.

on the other hand, i can say that everyone who commutes miles and miles to work is the problem.

I can WALK to work in under 30 min.
I usually don't finish a cigarette in the morning on the drive in, tossing it at the front door of my building before going in.
In the winter, my car is just STARTING to get heat by the time i'm parking.

so sure, i drive a non-economic vehicle.
but if i wanted to, i could only drive 6 miles a day, round trip. or, if i wasn't a lazy ass, i could walk or ride my bike every day. i don't HAVE to buy a DROP of gas.
I CHOOSE to, because i enjoy driving. And frankly, i'd pay $25 a gallon to still drive on a regular basis. it's a part of my life.

-------- edit
god damn quotes.... dont' know why it will only let you do 10 :(
steve's comments in bold

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 18 2005, 12:31 PM
The problem is that Oregon has been very much a "labor state" for a long time. Coos county especially. Ocean fishing, sawmills, logging, that sort of thing.

Conflicts with both the environment and the people that support it has effectively cut down most of the area's prevalent industries. The job market crashed 4 or 5 years ago. The area has too many people and not enough jobs. Kind of echos the entire country, eh? Yeah.

Oregon is having trouble moving forward. Unfortunately, had I entered the job market 2 or 3 years ago with a smile and an associate's degree, I could have gotten one of the mythical tech jobs that I keep hearing about and been making 35 dollars an hour. Unfortunately, all the tech jobs popped up about 3 or 4 years ago and were immediately flooded with the people that saw it coming and managed to get degrees in time. I was born too late, and the only college I have access to is terrible. I probably won't have any sort of degree for at least another year and a half. And I'm only working toward an associates! Of course, having to maintain 32 hours per week due to measly wages and minimum hours to keep my insurance isn't helping.
[post=541886]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't loose heart yet. You missed out on that market (Sometimes it sucks to be born at the wrong time) but there is a new market coming in that you CAN be prepared for.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - Private Space Flight. You are the right age and background to make it big in this field. Get ready for it NOW.

-> Steve

I saw a gallon of water selling for $4 once...and at sport event's..it sells for about $4 for 12 oz...

last time I looked...a gallon of pepto-bizmal was about $30.....

Glad I have a 32 mpg honda...and I just bought a 30 mpg suby....

the Z is now a "sunday only" car...and the CRX ...well....it just sits there....along with the Jeep....2 cars at +30 mpg...and the rest are sub 15 mpg....

I'll need a second job soon....

and sadly...winter is right around the corner...... :(

Now is prolly the time to hit him up for the Civic then :)

the 95 is what Sue actually wanted, since 1996. She drove one, found it too slow and was sucked into the WRX. I think she might trade now :)

Don't know if anyone said it.

But damn, gas prices around the country are now the same as the Bay Area prices. Something is definately wrong here. :p

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Aug 18 2005, 12:43 PM-->
@Aug 18 2005, 01:32 PM
(I am looking at a scooter tonight)

lmmmfao.

that is all.

/thread.
[post=541899]Quoted post[/post]​

Dude, $100 for a 2004, and it's a fuckin blast to ride. I didn't tell you the geekiest shit of them all:

I'm looking at a job now in Stamford that is very promising. But I can't drive my stomper down i-95 everyday, then park it on the sidewalk because it won't fit in the garage. So I'm looking for something to keep at the train station, so I can get from the train to the building 10 blocks away every day.

So I've reviewed a few things. Bicycles and the such. Looking at a 125 Honda dirtbike, trying to see if I can get a 75 cc pocket bike road legal (No luck) and Scooters. This is going to be kept in Stamford in their lockers.

Then I came across an electric SKATEBOARD. Yah baby, 15 mile range on a single charge, pistol grip throttle and regenerative braking. $250.

It weighs 50 pounds.

Originally posted by B16@Aug 18 2005, 01:44 PM
Don't know if anyone said it.

But damn, gas prices around the country are now the same as the Bay Area prices. Something is definately wrong here. :p
[post=541901]Quoted post[/post]​

yes, we know... cali sucks.

Back