what are you gonna do with your tax refund?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If I got the kind of money you guys seem to be getting back, the first thing I'd do is change my W4.
I typically try to aim for $0 back. I didn't calculate SS witholding from switching jobs 3 times.. lol

computer - Not solely for business
milage - work from home
office - works in her bedroom
uniform - na
office expense - all phone/computer
advertising - na
insurnace - na

I tried to figure out how to get more off, and I didn't feel comfortable writing off her computer and home office even though it's likely it woulda been fine.
You should have...

the home office can be tricky because it has to be an area used exclusively for business purposes... but that would only come into play if you had an audit
you could have also claimed a portion of the computer for business use, same with your electric bill that runs that computer, and your internet access for the computer
business use vs personal use. and these would also only ever be examined if there was an audit.
you did what you thought was right and thats all that matters :)

Got my Federal check already. Decided that I need to work out my finances before I cash/deposit it. See exactly what's coming in, what my bills are, and set a budget for the rest.

Got mine yesterday after I messed up my direct deposit in the beginning of February. Deposited it in my checking. It'll get forgotten about in a week.

I really hope the answer to this question for myself will ultimately be, cashing the check and rolling around in the money like Scrooge McDuck, but reluctantly I don't think that is in the cards for me.

I'm getting back a LOT more than I expected to... Mr @reckedracing once again worked my numbers for me and continues to be the best thing I ever decided to do (out-source my taxes). Headache free :)

I've said it before, I'm an accountant and I don't even do my own. There are so many things that change that if you don't work in the industry, you just won't know. Think of it like an orthodontist to a dentist. Very similar, but one is much more specialized.

Not licensed in Maryland but we prepare some Maryland returns.
I don't think I will be able to help you this year, its a little late in the season.
We are still working on people who dropped their information off in the first 2 weeks of March.
My advice at this point in time would be to file an extension and then try and get it figured out.

Nah, I already filed mine this year. Next year is what I'm concerned with, especially if business keeps picking up at the rate it is.

I am going to use mine to finish paying off the 16x30' deck we added to the back of the house and purchase a new gas grill for it and maybe get natural gas plumbed to it. Anything left will go back into the pot for the siding/roofing/gutters that are going on the house next year.

Even with the house and the baby we've got $800 coming back. :(

Back