what are you gonna do with your tax refund?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

8cd795d2bc95f6cea474fd1405c0d5d8_view.jpg

f38ac51a00cdebc26ffa8d1ea64b2e06.jpg

all of mine came from deductions. there is absolutely nothing more than the bare minimum taken out of my checks.

would rather have an extra $5/week than a big refund.

I'd rather have a giant lump sum to fix something big in the spring, like when I did my front door, then one of my garage doors, then my water heater last year.... Anytime I start to put money aside something else comes up and I need it.

I think the problem with getting more in your check each week is you tend to spend it....the refund seems to be a better option ...for us anyway....we owed 2600 to the fed but got back 1700 from the state...so we ended up paying 900 net... nxt year should yield a better return...i actually looked and my fs was mj3 i changed it to mj0 and upped my 401k contributions so my taxable income goes down....that should help tremendeously

Agreed, im a terrible saver so the 18 cents I give up in interest is worth it for the forced savings. $5 extra a week would go towards Starbucks or something, vs having a refund and being able to afford a house repair.

dedicate your own savings every pay check. Most direct deposit accounts have options. I put X into my savings, and the rest in my bill pool checking account. I save automatically without ever seeing the money.

And DONT put your savings account on a card-account. if you don't have a debit access to it, you are pretty much not going to use it.

dedicate your own savings every pay check. Most direct deposit accounts have options. I put X into my savings, and the rest in my bill pool checking account. I save automatically without ever seeing the money.

And DONT put your savings account on a card-account. if you don't have a debit access to it, you are pretty much not going to use it.
I need to do this. I also need to give myself a budget. For an accountant, I have terrible money management skills.

most accountant's have terrible money management skills...
as the saying goes, the shoemaker's children are the last to get shoes, and the mechanic's daily driver is the last car to get looked at.

yeah, i have no issue saving my own money.
im pretty good at budgeting, and now that everything is paid off the savings can be built up to deal with any surprises that come up so we dont have to jump on the credit card again.

I don't have direct deposit, my dad won't do it through his bank either. lol

It's easier to write out one thing on the deposit slip and put it into my checking. I'm pretty fucking lazy. I still have laundry in my basket from a week ago.

Being pd cash FTW. You wouldn't believe the amount of people in the trades that is all cash. None of my customers pay me in cash. One of my biggest customers didn't give me the 1099 they were supposed to. I am going to claim the money anyways, not worth the hassle down the road.

The worst when I was a carpenter and did side work was getting paid with checks. I know you're writing this off. Like come on.... An ATM trip would have saved me a ton of taxes. Even when we talked about it up front, eventually I'd get a check and be hungry enough to not refuse the check.

I don't miss the hassles of itemizing everything, the IRS letters, and my accountant fees for when I was working with my dad and myself.

Yeah when I did my taxes this year I didn't realize how much my ex's 1099 screwed me. The 3 grand she made in 1099 income ate my entire return. Craziness.

you should have work related business expenses to offset that 1099 income.
even if its not enough to wipe it all out and create loss to offset your own income, at least write off some business expenses to make some of that self employment tax go away.
shit, if its her income you can always claim the innocent spouse if an audit ever happened
muahhahahaa :ph34r:

computer? mileage? home office? uniforms? office expenses? advertising? insurance?
every single dollar of expense will net you 15.3 cents of instant savings for SE tax alone, PLUS whatever your MFJ income tax rate is
too late to do anything with it now, and you have to be able to sleep at night so it all depends on your risk/comfort level

computer - Not solely for business
milage - work from home
office - works in her bedroom
uniform - na
office expense - all phone/computer
advertising - na
insurnace - na

I tried to figure out how to get more off, and I didn't feel comfortable writing off her computer and home office even though it's likely it woulda been fine.

Back