What Is Needed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicspeed

I am planing on dropin a GSR into my 97 civic 2dr, and then turbo it.

I am wondering what parts I will need to run a successfull turbo (including parts for strengthening the engine) Also how much money should i expect to be spending including labor.

Make sure you have like 10grand and you better not be stretching for this stuff because it costs lots of money to run a turboed honda you will need cash for replacing shit that breaks and a second car for tranportation. You also should like straight line acceleration only because big turbos like to spool in the middle of corners.

NA is the way reliable, driveable,tossable, and stealthy no intercoolers,snails, or blue bottles to give away your true power. :ph34r:

Originally posted by sicsol2000@Mar 7 2003, 12:43 PM
Make sure you have like 10grand and you better not be stretching for this stuff because it costs lots of money to run a turboed honda you will need cash for replacing shit that breaks and a second car for tranportation. You also should like straight line acceleration only because big turbos like to spool in the middle of corners.

NA is the way reliable, driveable,tossable, and stealthy no intercoolers,snails, or blue bottles to give away your true power. :ph34r:

"Blahbity bloo blah blah blah blahbity bloo blah!" I didn't hear a word you said, "hipidy hooblah!"

Turbo's car be just as reliable, its all in how its built, the quality of parts used, and the abuse he puts it through.

Shit wont break unless he is using OEM parts and aftermarket turbo parts wont break as often (yes, there are some cases where shit has failed, but that is 100 in 20million products sold) if you use the right parts. Jeffie7 from here ran 2.17 (i think .17) bar of boost till his vaccum line came off the turbo. He hasn't had any problems with his setup. He runs 11psi on a t3/t4 daily.

Big turbos spool in the corners? huh? Turbos spool on exhuast gas, so if you are turning, you most likely are not pushing enough exhuast to spool a big turbo.

NA is reliable, but you can also make NA not reliable, running race parts on the street. Hello and welcome to 2003 where street cars are basically street legal race cars. Come to Oklahoma, you will see 8-9second domestics cruising, some ppl on slicks in the summer, and you will hear idles that shake your car worse than a pair of 15's would.

The first thing you need is research. Go to our turbo section (the tab at the top of the screen) and read everything. Then ask any questions you have here or in the Forced Indcution Forum. We have some very knowledgeable folks here.

It costs a lot of money to get the right parts though and most people are greedy and won't be happy with 11psi on a built engine it's not even worth the money if that's all your going to run.

When your turboing your lowering your compression so the car is doggy off boost the NA car you can mash the gas through turns. Get crazy for a bit in a semi powerful turbo car and the water temp climbs and climbs then you have the heat on in the summer.

Get best of motoring 6 and see what you think about turbo cars as the NA cars light them up on the Touge and Tsukba.

With the cash turbo is definately the way to go for straight line performane but NA is much more livable and reliable.

Also remember we are dealing with fwd cars where you can have all the power you want and still run only 13's if not set up right and not a good driver.

If your going to spend 2500 for a turbo kit a grand to install it and tune it (remember he asked with labor) you'll be able to run 7psi until you build the engine and replace the axles you could be running 12's all ready NA.

Back