What is the death possibility when

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
So I was driving back to work yesterday when I shifted from 8000 in 1st to 2nd gear and the car lost all power. I stopped on the side of the road and it would idle but would not rev over 1000 RPM with the throttle floored. Turns out my intake gear slipped. What are the chances that I bent the valves and how can I know if this car will handle a 30 hour road trip without access to a leak down test?

wow....where have you been???????

anyway..... put it back on and see how it runs....but i dont think you should drive it like that

What are the chances that I bent the valves and how can I know if this car will handle a 30 hour road trip without access to a leak down test?

chances are very high for a bent valve...
especially at 8K

reset the timing and drive it...
bent valve will usually cause rapid erosion of your valve seals so expect to see black smoke in your rear view in the near future...

My options are drive it 30 hours to home or donate it to someone here and fly back. There is no way for me to ship it as shipping costs almost what the car is worth at this point. (especially with a bent valve :( ).

As for where I've been, stupid busy with school and then and internship at IBM this summer. I'll be back more this next semester hopefully :p

depends on how far the cam gear let it go

id adjust it back to where it should be and see if its drivable

had this happen to me a while ago and everything is still fine

My options are drive it 30 hours to home or donate it to someone here and fly back. There is no way for me to ship it as shipping costs almost what the car is worth at this point. (especially with a bent valve ).

donate it to me, i'll pay shipping
lol

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Aug 18 2005, 09:48 AM

[post=541816]Quoted post[/post]​

It think that it slipped all the way and it happened in VTEC. On one hand it idled fine, but on the other hand I haven't had a chance to drive it and I need it to last for about 2000 miles to get back home. Is it worth the gamble?

Originally posted by lsvtec+Aug 18 2005, 11:54 AM-->
@Aug 18 2005, 09:48 AM

[post=541816]Quoted post[/post]​

It think that it slipped all the way and it happened in VTEC. On one hand it idled fine, but on the other hand I haven't had a chance to drive it and I need it to last for about 2000 miles to get back home. Is it worth the gamble?
[post=541825]Quoted post[/post]​

welp my skunk2 gears slipped on me when i was well onto the high lobes (my fault not the gears :( ) ... they went all the way to the edge of the opening not sure how far it was but it was over 10deg.... the car ran like shit.... wouldnt rev, had no power, barely idled, finally wouldnt start at all.... after checking a whole bunch of shit i finally figured out what happened.. set the gears back to there they were supposed to be... made sure thay all of the screws were TIGHT on both gears... made sure the timing was still rignt... havent had a problem since

so dont mark it as dead yet

Originally posted by b204dr@Aug 18 2005, 12:42 PM
lol bent valves/bad valves seals slowly die- my car ran crappily for 100 miles and died !
[post=541863]Quoted post[/post]​

and mine has been running strong for about 2 years now

:shrug2:

its a toss of the dice i guess

Durham, NC

Well, I suppose there is hope then because the gears were set back and the car seemed to run okay, I am going to ask the shop to do a leakdown on it and see if they acn tell me anything.

I'm outta Raleigh, and if you need a boy of mine is a Honda tech locally here. PM me if you need any help (or if you want to sell me your car, lol)

So it survived the trip home, I guess I lucked out with no damage. Thanks for eveybudies help.

Back