What Kind Of Exhaust?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigJ

I'm just about that action Boss.
VIP
Hey I hate the sound of my exhaust and especially the look...in my sig you can see it...dual tip from a single but I have 2-1/4 piping to the back and a high flow racing cat with honey comb a dc 4-2-1 header but I really want something that doesn't sound gay like mine. Mine is really deep when at idle but anything about 3k it is so raspy and when you floor it it just is loud as hell and raspy as fuck, like a deep but raspy sound. I am wondering if I just buy a different muffler or rear section would it change most of the sound like the raspiness and what would be the best way to make it so it would be really throaty and not obnoxious but real deep with no raspiness of any kind, kind of what a honda sounds like without a muffler, sounds decent to me, err ls without a rear section..on a civic...? Any ideas or anything?

I have a thermal r&d muffler with 2 1/4 piping and i like it. It is a little loud on the highway but overall it sounds real nice.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Feb 10 2003, 08:43 PM
Hey I hate the sound of my exhaust and especially the look...in my sig you can see it...dual tip from a single but I have 2-1/4 piping to the back and a high flow racing cat with honey comb a dc 4-2-1 header but I really want something that doesn't sound gay like mine. Mine is really deep when at idle but anything about 3k it is so raspy and when you floor it it just is loud as hell and raspy as fuck, like a deep but raspy sound. I am wondering if I just buy a different muffler or rear section would it change most of the sound like the raspiness and what would be the best way to make it so it would be really throaty and not obnoxious but real deep with no raspiness of any kind, kind of what a honda sounds like without a muffler, sounds decent to me, err ls without a rear section..on a civic...? Any ideas or anything?

s3e03c2920e185.jpg

In "afipunk21" 's terms what would be the best way to get a throaty and deep sounding exhaust with no "raspy effect" with a 2-1/4 piping, race cat, and headers?

After reading your post, numerous times, I think I understand what your are trying to ask, and my answer : none of that shit.
I have a GReddy HEADER (singular) and a GReddy EVO full cat-back exhaust system. My pipes are 2 3/4 inches, and the tip is a rediculus 4 1/2 inches.

my boy has the EVO catback system on his 99 si and it has a nice deep tone to it, very nice, you might want to check that out..

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Feb 11 2003, 12:05 AM
After reading your post, numerous times, I think I understand what your are trying to ask, and my answer : none of that shit.
I have a GReddy HEADER (singular) and a GReddy EVO full cat-back exhaust system. My pipes are 2 3/4 inches, and the tip is a rediculus 4 1/2 inches.

Lol

That is my favorite picture ever.

I run a Tanabe ( I think that is how you spell it) catback exhaust and it sounds very deep. The thing I would look for is to make sure that where the mid pipe bolts to the muffler back by the rear spindle, that it does not get small. Almost all of the cat backs I have seen are like 2 1/4" diameter all the way except at that point. Most of them shrink to almost 1 1/2" right before the bolt in section and then increases back up. The thing to remember is that the exhaust is only as big as the smallest opening. Which means you might as well run 1 1/2" pipe all the way with it getting that small at that point. This is not as critical for N/A cars but is very critical for boosted cars. You want as freeflowing exhaust as possible.

Any hoot, I hope that this helps and gets you in the right direction.

Oh and the Thermal R and D is a very good system. They make a 3" exhaust that is bad ass.

Originally posted by fxcustumz@Feb 11 2003, 02:38 PM
I run a Tanabe ( I think that is how you spell it) catback exhaust and it sounds very deep.

B16 runs a Tanabe adjustable on his car.

I wasn't a big fan of the sound... it was pretty high pitched after 5000 on up to 9000 rpm.

You can try a company over here called Remus.I had one on my 90 rex and it sounded VERY nice,nothing like a "rice burner".I couldn't tell you any "power gains" cuz it was on there when I got it.

Remus is badass... only seen one car with one around here but it was the most beautiful sound ive ever heard

get the apexi world sport.

it doesn't flow as well as the N1, but it sounds pretty damn good during vtec and is extremely quiet up until 5k.

it also fits like stock, and looks like a standard muffler.

Originally posted by chet@Feb 12 2003, 07:14 AM
get the apexi world sport.

it doesn't flow as well as the N1, but it sounds pretty damn good during vtec and is extremely quiet up until 5k.

it also fits like stock, and looks like a standard muffler.

Oh,I can't wait mines sitting at home waiting to be put on.Just a couple more months,yippy!!! :D

I have a DC Sport header with Borla exhaust on my ZC 91 CRX. Don't do it, it's stupid loud. My neighbours hate me.

i have a greddy evo with dc header 4-2-1 on my b16a with a str high flow cat and it isn't loud at all it has a nice deep sound, it sounds really good when vtec hits i love it go with greddy evo i say.

Header! You have a header!!!

Headers (noun) 1.)More than one 2.) Having or pertaining to multiple exhuast manifolds

I personally like the thermal R&D cuz my boy said he noticed when my V-tec kicked in, but if you want some deep sound get the Greddy Evo it sounds purdy deep :sleep:

I've only heard one, but down in Miami a friend of mine has a 00 si with a JIC full titanium exhaust the entire exhaust was 1200 bucks, but you could seriously cream yourself listtening to the revs.

Back