what kind of power from a LS VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tip

yes i just got a complete integra ls for dirt cheap. I want to build the motor and make it a vtec. i also want to keep it a daily driver. What kind of hp could i be putting to the wheels out of a ls vtec. Not looking to keep the block stock either....!!!! Thinking built bottom end and complete head job with I/H/E. Just not sure what pistons, crank and rods to use for a powerful daily drive and weekend racer. Also not sure what head i would need to use....b16...b18c...? Also toying with the idea of a turbo ls vtec. Any and all suggestions welcome.

OH YEAH i have heard that the ls vtec is no good as a reliable setup as well as a daily driver. Is this true and if not entirely true then what aspects are true...?

Build the engine, do the bolt ons and go dyno it. There's 10 billion factors in what kind of power a build is going to put out since you're not telling us what cams, or what kind of internals you want to use... or if you want to build it for Boost or NA.

edit: as for the head, use either one b16a or the b18c. Both will work, but you'll need an obdI p72 for the IABs in the b18c intake plenum.

for a partially built LSVtec anywhere between 0-600 hp.

I would use the b16a head and a 94-95 LS block.

If you feel you can build the motor to be reliable then boost it otherwise 250 hp is doable and plenty for the street while still being reliable.

to be more "specific" i do not know which cams crank or anthing else. looking for ideas.

and the complete swap i have is a 94 so this is a OBD1 which my car is already a OBD1.

and as far as goals.....looking for around 250 to 350 to the ground and very reliable. This does not mean that i want it to be a turbo or all motor.....up in the air on that idea as of right now.

As a lot of people will tell you, a turbo honda daily driver is not very...how you say GOOD.

I keep thinking about it and i dont know if i want to get some 11.5:1 pistons and really aggressive cams, but its getting more and more appealing every day.

If you want a good DD i would suggest high overlap cams high comp pistons, and new valves and springs.

I almost forgot...you might also want to invest in hondata/crome

Originally posted by reikoshea@Jul 31 2005, 01:54 PM
As a lot of people will tell you, a turbo honda daily driver is not very...how you say GOOD.
[post=533635]Quoted post[/post]​

Nah. Built correctly (not that hard) a turbo Honda engine is actually more reliable than a high compression all motor engine. You put less stress on the internals in normal driving when you're not on the boost.

Not trying to jack the thread. How much power can you expect out of a stock ls bottom end and a b16 head (Sir)?

calesta makes a good point, ive been told the same by every tuner ive talked to.
not to thread jack either, my question to calesta might help you as well, what do you consider a well built turbo honda engine?? youve got more experience that 3/4 of us here, if not more. what parts companies do you prefer and which have you had problems with Mike ??
ive got an Si R in my sol now and i got a spare SiR short block with crank and pistons, and i wanna build the spare motor for boost so i can get a turbo setup and have a block ready to go for it. thats why im askin this question. :)

Originally posted by drpenguin+Jul 31 2005, 05:04 PM-->
Not trying to jack the thread. How much power can you expect out of a stock ls bottom end and a b16 head (Sir)?
[post=533693]Quoted post[/post]​

Quite a few guys are able to pull upwards of 175whp out of a stock B18A/B bottom and a B16 head. Just make sure you tune well.

DelSlo
@Jul 31 2005, 05:12 PM
calesta makes a good point, ive been told the same by every tuner ive talked to.
not to thread jack either, my question to calesta might help you as well, what do you consider a well built turbo honda engine?? youve got more experience that 3/4 of us here, if not more. what parts companies do you prefer and which have you had problems with Mike ??
ive got an Si R in my sol now and i got a spare SiR short block with crank and pistons, and i wanna build the spare motor for boost so i can get a turbo setup and have a block ready to go for it. thats why im askin this question. :)
[post=533696]Quoted post[/post]​

Well..... I wouldn't say that I have more experience than most of the people here, although that's probably true- but not by much. I would say that I've been reading things a lot longer than most here, have some pretty good sources for information that aren't available to most, and have the technical background to understand most of the stuff that's thrown at me.

:)

OK

What I consider to be a "well built turbo setup" is basically this- a properly sized turbo, an intercooler that doesn't heat-soak under continuous load, and proper engine management. The engine doesn't necessarily have to be strengthened, although it's nice and definitely a good investment.

I honestly haven't had any real bad experiences with companies because I tend to do a LOT of research before buying anything, but I will tell you that I would hesitate to buy anything from Endyn. Pistons and rods are no big deal though.

For companies that make pistons and rods, right now I prefer CP and Wiseco pistons, along with Probe Ultralite rods. For any kind of power that your typical Honda block is going to be putting out, Probe Ultralites are plenty strong- plus they're lighter than just about any other rod on the market (more torque!).

Back