What to do in my rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Carson010

Hello everyone this is my first post here and I'm happy to be apart of the Honda community. To the point

I bought a b18b from an integra, junkyard about 300k kms on it and i want to do a build with it. Looking for 300hp turbo build (totally happy with 250 tho) and my big question is how much should I get into the engine? I'm happy to tear it apart to bear block fully reassemble but I only want to do that if it's what I have to. Should I just tear it apart and leave the rotating assembly alone (assuming I don't see anything wrong with it)? Should I be checking valve clearance and replacing my valve seals or are they fine for what I'm building?

I'm new to building engines and I sorta feel like I'm in over my head but Im so excited to start. If anyone has literally anything they want to let me know about what to expect or just any advice I'd really appreciate it, it means a lot.

300km is a bit high to boost... I would recommend a minor rebuild on it. Stock parts in good condition are pretty reliable to 250. At 300 to the wheels, and the higher kms, I'd suggest doing Pistons and rods with the bearings, which will give you new rings and such as well. Don't bore it out unless you're reserving, but a quick hone at the machine shop will ensure the rings seat.

300km is a bit high to boost... I would recommend a minor rebuild on it. Stock parts in good condition are pretty reliable to 250. At 300 to the wheels, and the higher kms, I'd suggest doing Pistons and rods with the bearings, which will give you new rings and such as well. Don't bore it out unless you're reserving, but a quick hone at the machine shop will ensure the rings seat.
I figured rods and rings but wouldn't have guessed the pistons too, thanks for letting me know.

Welcome to Hondaswap ! Pistons/Rods/Rings/Crank+Main+Rod bearings will be needed. You have to weigh options here man if this is your first turbo engine build you are for sure going well over head for a full rebuild and turbocharging it soo tackle it in stages for sure. Personally unless you are wanting to spend the big $$$$ on tools needed to build a engine much less the money spent to pay to have it machined you should just get a healthier low miles engine to swap in/turbo IMO

I'm thinking of doing the rebuild over a long time and then once it's done I won't turbo the car for another 4-6 months or till I can recover from the costs. I've looked around my area for a healthy b18 but every one is asking like $700

I'm thinking of doing the rebuild over a long time and then once it's done I won't turbo the car for another 4-6 months or till I can recover from the costs. I've looked around my area for a healthy b18 but every one is asking like $700
$700 on building or even a modest overhaul is a drop in the hat bud. Me personally and thats just me and I did worse when I was younger but TRUST ME bit me in ass 99.9% of time I wouldnt waste my time even putting a used engine swap into a vehicle without doing oil pan gasket/timing belt and water pump/valve cover/intake/exhaust gaskets and mounts. Which is probably closer to $500 there. Soo yes doing it over time is easily a option and a great learning experience and not only that its a GREAT engine to learn on from a aspect looking at simple timing/assembly etc . Going back to mounts/gaskets etc as a minimum yes I know it adds up but take it personally from somebody thats done this a decade plus and had much bite me in the ass, nothing feels better that building/rebuilding a engine and seeing and knowing its running great and know undoubtedly it needs nothing is great and reassuring. I had sooooooooo many hondas I had to work on and rework on over and over for dumb shit I should have bit the bullet and just replaced before installing, end of rant. glad to have ya bucco , POST PICTURES OF B18 :D

$700 on building or even a modest overhaul is a drop in the hat bud. Me personally and thats just me and I did worse when I was younger but TRUST ME bit me in ass 99.9% of time I wouldnt waste my time even putting a used engine swap into a vehicle without doing oil pan gasket/timing belt and water pump/valve cover/intake/exhaust gaskets and mounts. Which is probably closer to $500 there. Soo yes doing it over time is easily a option and a great learning experience and not only that its a GREAT engine to learn on from a aspect looking at simple timing/assembly etc . Going back to mounts/gaskets etc as a minimum yes I know it adds up but take it personally from somebody thats done this a decade plus and had much bite me in the ass, nothing feels better that building/rebuilding a engine and seeing and knowing its running great and know undoubtedly it needs nothing is great and reassuring. I had sooooooooo many hondas I had to work on and rework on over and over for dumb shit I should have bit the bullet and just replaced before installing, end of rant. glad to have ya bucco , POST PICTURES OF B18 :D
To be honest this being my first engine it's going to be more of learning experience than anything, shit if I can even get it to run I'll be proud as hell. I have more time than anything so that's why I went with a cheap engine because it's my first and I won't feel bad breaking it. I'm happy to be here and thanks for making me feel like part of a community

I'm looking for it to be a learning experience and a time investment which is why I went with a cheap engine. Odds are something will break and if it doesn't I'd be proud as hell to have it start. I'm excited to be here and thanks for making me feel like a part of a community

Rods and pistons are a good idea for the build, but they do require some qualified work. You'll probably be better off brining the block in to a machine shop to re-hone and assemble the pistons/rods/bearings for you. honing is not something a new to building person should consider IMO.

there's learning - and then there's just hacking it up because you don't have the right tools/etc.

Back