opinions needed for which to rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

autox19

Ok, I am ALMOST done with my 7+ year b16 into a fiat x19 project when I discovered a slight rod knock. So I am in need of opinions. Here is a little history. I bought a jdm b16 (second Gen obd1) without hearing it run, was "told" it ran fine. BecauseI just needed it as a "mule" to block out some dimensions I really didnt care if it ran. when I got to the point of actually getting the project started I came across a running honda with a first gen b16 swapped for $1300. (it wouldnt rev over 4k, you guys helped me figure that out!) I bought that because I knew it ran. skip forward to today. so I have 2 engines. the plan was to get the swap done, then rebuild the gen2 to run with a turbo. Now I have the slight knock. my current plans are to pull the pan and see what I can with the bearings. if I can do a bearing swap and no journals are damaged I will do that and continue on with plan A. If I find that it is more than that, then I am thinking my best bet would be to tear down gen2 engine and see what it looks like to possibly to a quick rebuild (only replace what is needed or cheap) and save the gen1 for turbo.
As much as I would like to just wait and do the rebuild for turbo only, it has been 7 years since I have driven the car. Knowing that I dont want to go on the cheap for the turbo build, it will take a while to piece and part it financially (without the wife catching on to how much it is.

thoughts?

Odie

I think the real question is-- have you wired up the car yet?

if you do rebuild in the future, would you just swap blocks, or the entire thing with head/IM and all the sensors too? That would be a re-wire effort.

I'm thinking you might want to do the 1st gen bottom end with the 2nd gen head/IM now as is to get it running obd1 in the car.
then take the 2nd gen bottom end and do rods/pistons in prep for turbo build in the future. The block swap should be pretty much plug and play.

it is wired up. OBD1 but with the OBD0 injectors and resistor box. the harness is a "race" (re. only what is necessary) from rywire. From your suggestion, I think it is backward, the 0 is in the car now with possible bearing issues. the 1 I am not sure where it stands as it hasnt been started at all. If i check out the bottom end of 0, and its bad, and bottom end of 1 is good, then you brought up a good point. depending on how the top end looks, it might be easier to swap blocks.

Odie

that sounds like a badass project man ! you are on the right path though id see if the engine is savable with bearings and go from there , as far as the donor car not running over 4k its probably actually less than that in limp mode if its throwing CEL codes id check and see thats probablyyyyy it, as far as running obd0 without the injector box means you are using obd1 injectors which is the way to go and makes converting to 0bd1 that much easier, they make conversion plugs for the dist etc but as stated above id do the 1st gen bottom end with the 2nd gen head if I had a choice and run it on all your existing electronics and build whats left for boost, either way you look at it the cars going to be fun with 160hp NA , post some pics up of this beast im interested !

Backwards again. The electrical and ecu is odb1 except the injectors. This will allow dsm injectors later on. . Limp mode is what it was! Tps was bad. I will gather what I can from the pics i do have and postal link. The 2nd and 3rd stage of this project (stage 1 was getting the stock engine in and down the road. Almost there) are to build a mild (250) hp engine and add lsd. The other common swap done in these cars are the k series swap, but the cost to do the swap and the engine trans are far more expensive than the b.

Odie

dude again badass swap man Im all about some Frankenstein swaps and I get what you are saying on the injectors from what I understood you had a obd0 motor and a obd1 and were trying to decide which to use , im currently putting a dohc zc in my widebody 79 civic

Attachments

• 16402889_10158172020680076_2785194091371344588_o.jpg
    16402889_10158172020680076_2785194091371344588_o.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 270
Love those!!! My friend had one of those back in the day, we were constantly backroad chasing each other. I had a fiesta. I think together they both might have weighed 3000 lbs. never thought about a modern swap into one. lokks much better with the wide body. Did you do the flares yourself?

Odie

Love those!!! My friend had one of those back in the day, we were constantly backroad chasing each other. I had a fiesta. I think together they both might have weighed 3000 lbs. never thought about a modern swap into one. lokks much better with the wide body. Did you do the flares yourself?

Odie
its a hoot for sure and no its a raree jackson racing wide body kit

Not good. Bearing shot. So now looks like I am going to do a brief teardown of the sir2 engine to see if I can see anything bad before putting it in and seeing if this one will run
20170304_163146.jpg

Odie

Back