What Type Of Mtf Fluid Should I Use

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boog

Ok I did a search and can't get a good answer, so I am asking you guys. What type of manual transmission fluid should I use in my 99 civic si.

OEM honda MTL fluid. Reason is because honda engineers specially formulate it for the conditons of honda parts

Honda.

I have used non Honda only once. That transmission is no longer with us...

some people swear by redline others say that it made their problems worse. I would go with what the engineers say. Use Honda MTL fluid.

what about additives? is there anything you can do to reduce hp loss through drivetrain? i thought the only way to do this with hondas was with fluid. i mean with a big block chevy you can put a lighter tranny behind it and not lose so much at the cost of durability.

ok I need to get some fluid today to put in the tranny. The dealership is closed. I can change it again tomorrow after I make that 30 mile drive to the dealership. O I did not say that I am doing a tranny swap (my si tranny is out already) so that's why I am in a hurry.

Well I would do that but I need the car ready to drive tomorrow morning. I have been with out a car for 4 weeks(long storry). I just need something untill I can make it after about 60 miles of driving.

is the fluid essential? this may sound like a dumb question but ive never changed the fluid. is this something like an oil change? do you have to change this fluit often? someon clear this up please.

you should change it every 30-40K miles but i have heard (at least with automatics) that if you never change it and then a 140K you change it, new leaks can develope and ginding can accor.

ok i guess im going to be changing the fluid pretty soon then, i doubt the last owner did it ever. so teach me. is it just like changing the oil? is there a filter? how do i get the old fluid out? how and where do i put new fluid in? where do i get fluid? how much do i get? is the fluid specific to the engine/transmission? how much will the fluid cost? sorry for all the questions, but ive never done this before and although theres probably little chance of anyone fucking it up, my chances are high and id like to minimize this chance as much as possible. :lol: so if you could answer my questions, that would be great. thanks.

i am sure that the amount used is a little diffrent on diffrent trannys. For the fluid, go to a honda dealer or Hparts.com (discount OEM parts). Make sure that you put exactly the right amount of fluid in there, too much and you will blow stuff. On i think hybrid garage, they have insturtions on how to do it.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 24 2003, 03:34 PM
Make sure that you put exactly the right amount of fluid in there, too much and you will blow stuff.

no, you cant put too much in cause the fill hole is the maximum level of fluid you can put in, otherwise it will spill out. It will just burn the excess off, not "blow stuff"

did not know that the fill line is also the maximum.

About blowing stuff up, on transmissions (all companys not just honda) the main reason for blown transmissions is do to over filling them. This will cause seals to give and you will have more trouble then what you started with. Now alot of new models, the automatic transmissions dip stick is no longer on there because people will over fill them.

I had ITR tranny.....poured in Redline MT fluid.......it knocked the socks off of me....that tranny meshed and cracked like sex and chinese new year...go with HONDA....

Honda has a TSB about additives causing synchro damage. Do not use it. Also, ITR's call for a change every 15K. If you want to sell that B16 tranny, e-mail me.

Back