when it rains it [explitive] pours...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

did you get a chance to see if it was headgasket, bottom end, catastrophic failure, etc?

Plot twist. Civic engine blew on the way to work this morning. No warning other than a rough Idle the past couple days. No lights or anything. Woo.

Had one of those kind of bad luck months in July so I can sympathize with you. Hit the wallet hard. But things could have been a lot worse.

Have you run any diagnosis on your engine yet?

Nope. Only luck I've had Is that we have free towing and roadside on our insurance. My boss picked me up and it was towed home while I was at work. I opened the hood and the hole goes from the part of the block that has the engine id to about halfway under the exhaust manifold. Pretty catastrophic.

Haven't looked up a new block yet, will be browsing craigslist and import sites today. Absolutely could have been worse, it could have seized completely and fucked the trans. Or I could have had a wreck. Just another thing to deal with so it will be dealt with.

As soon as it's fixed I will be selling it. I'll never buy that generation of civic again. Never had so many issues from a civic and I've had some pretty rough ones.

birthdaytoastS.jpg

Well, it looks like I may *fingers crossed* have the subaru up and running. It was having a hard time with hesitating real bad and on a really hot day it just took a shit on me. Would start and run and held idle just fine, but no power. Would just hesitate under load. The last day I drove it it wouldn't hardly move. Had to leave it and go back that night and get it.
Always ran worse when it was hot outside.
Codes it gave me 2 were for the front air/fuel sensor and one was for the idle control valve. I replaces the sensor yesterday, and ran a can of sea foam through the intake and it helped but still not completely fixed. It ran ok and made a 30 ish min round trip but it was also just the low 80's here. Could still feel some hesitation though, and still hesitated hard at high rpm under half or more throttle. I bought new plugs, wires, changed the oil, new air and fuel filter. And it seemed to remedy most of it.
The power is back for the most part and in the high rpm range could still feel a slight hesitation but nowhere near as bad as before.

I cleared the CEL just to see (some people with similar issues reported an improvement for a short while after clearing the codes) so now I wait to see of it comes back on.

I'd say it is probably at about 95% fixed. I just don't know where else to look. I'd say maybe rear o2 but I have no issues at idle or low rpm really and no code for that.

People reporting online that the neutral safety switch on the manual subarus could cause some of the issues, if it's reporting that it is in neutral instead of in gear the ecu will think the icv is bad bc the rpm is too high.

how hard were you driving the civic to toss a rod?
just curious
i finally unloaded my old lady's civic, same generation as yours if i remember correctly.
nothing but problems with that car after 80k

I was cruising 70 mph in a 70 zone. Just sitting there, singing and enjoying the cool ish weather.

That civic has been a headache. Should have bought a vw or volvo. Lol.

So what about the Subaru? Year, mileage, catalytic converter condition?

well, the subaru has 215k on it. the cat system on these things seems to be like lupus from the show House. all signs say lupus, but its never lupus.
main-qimg-adc98eb8a04f886c0878aab1824df4d4

almost all performance issues seem to be blamed on the cat when diag'd by a shop. and the cat never seems to fix it.

all the stuff i did to it made a huge improvement but its still not running 100%. under full throttle when it hits about 3.5k it bogs. starting to go bavk to my original thought of possible fuel pump, it feels like its getting starved. after i changed the fuel filter i guess i didnt prime all of the air out bc it immediately starting bogging and chocking when i started it and began to accelerate, but after a moment it cleared up and was fine. im positive it was just some air in the line, but it gave the same feel as i get in the high range.

i seriously doubt its the cat. fuel consumption is the same as ever and the power is fine in the lower band (now). i need to get a fuel pressure gauge so i can watch it while accelerating.

The problem is that it is usually an ignition or tps/map/maf/o2 problem that leads to damage to the catalytic converter. So, if only the converter is replaced, the root problem still exists, and the new converter will soon be damaged as well. Also, catalytic converters are wear items.

so, yesterday i tested the fuel pump with a rental gauge. pressure was right on with what the book said it needed to be. 35psi at idle. held steady on rev ups as well.

took it to subaru this morning and told them to diag it. my buddy drove it up from home to the dealer. drove fine, sputtered a bit but nothing more than usual. dealer calls, says its the fuel pump. said they had under 25psi and dropped to 0 when revved. buddy said on the way home he couldnt give it more than 1/8 throttle otherwise it would choke and almost stall. they quoted me $800 for a new pump. nope. bought one from oreilly for $60. will replace it tonight or tomorrow and see how it goes.

but i dont think they tested for lupus.

Back