Where to go with my career?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

99sidude

VIP
As it stands right now I have two standing offers on the table for engineering jobs at Honda. I have a choice to make: do what seems more interesting, or bank an extra 9 thou? I have to make up my mind by 3:30 tomorrow. This decision is killing me so I thought why not get some credible advice from all you Hondaswapers.

Job one is at Honda R&D doing design work on dealer accessories. For this job I get to be involved from ideation, to working with artist, to design, to concept and testing. I would actually get to go out on the high speed test track and do wind noise testing on roof racks and spoilers. With this I'd have a variety of small projects and be working on different products all the time. Its a small area of the company so the job scope is large.

The base pay at R&D sucks; however they pay overtime at your calculated hourly rate. I figure I'll be making $62k a year. The benefits are sick: Free Healthcare, nasty 401k match, and a nice pension and life insurance plan.

Job two is at Honda Engineering. Here I'd be doing strait up design work on the stamping dies they use to form body panels. The cool thing is that on my interview I got to see parts for some new crossover coming out in a few years. They told me I could be sitting behind a CAD scope for 4-500 hours at a time, and see little hands on. This job isn't nearly as exciting to me, and seems like I would get bored.

The base pay here is better, and they do time and a half OT. I figure I'll be making $71k a year, or around $9k more per year than the other job. The benefits are about the same.

I really like the R&D job, so I went back asking for more money. I promptly got denied. So now I'm stuck deciding between doing what I want, or making some serious bank. I could do some nasty things to my civic with an extra 9 g's laying around.

I'd go with the first choice, I'd rather have a job that I enjoy going to everyday and make less than have a job that is boring.

9k salary difference at these pay levels is nothing, really. it's 50 bucks in your pocket. seriously.

I take home only 30% more then i used to at a job with twice the pay.

9000 * .3 = 2700

2700 / 52 = $52 a week.

told ya. :)

do what makes you happy.

I'd say get the one that pays more unless you know you will still be interested in the other 10 years down the road... working for a huge company like honda is job security

Same with Chaz. Also, it's just a foot in the door either way. If you work hard and kick ass at it, and you probably will if you actually like the job as compared to not, you'll more than make up that 9k in pay raises and or promotions.

Tough call.

Sometimes you have to forget money and do what you want to do. You will gain more personal satisfation and have a better time with life if you love what you do. I can't immagine 500 hours working on a fender die being any fun whatsoever.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." -quoted, re-quoted, re-worded so many times I have no idea who the original author was. Maybe Confucius.

I would go with the R&D, I would rather be doing hands on stuff, than sitting doing CAD, and for only $52 more a day Ill pick the funner one anyday.

You guys are making this too easy. I think both jobs provide an equal opportunity for advancement, and I'll be happier at R&D. I think I'm close to a decision.

Yeah, if it were a 15k/year vs 25k/year decision it'd be alot harder. Also, when you hit $78,850/year you'll be kicked up into the next tax bracket (25% vs 28%). You'd still take home more, but it wouldn't be that much more. It helps blur the lines a little. Kinda.

I know I'm going to cry when I get my first paycheck and see how much got sucked away by Uncle Sam

I would also go with R&D, it's not because of the pay, its because of the experience.

The Delphi plant I worked at built and engineered cooling system components for GM and Toyota. They also did wind tunnel testing for most auto manufactures.

The different systems that go into testing one of those radiators involves a number of sciences. Pressure drop, temperature drop and lifespan are primarily what are checked. Then they have to test it over a wide variety of incoming pressure, coolant temperatures, vibration, air flow, ambient humidity, ambient temperature, corrosion, etc. Then you have the data aquisition systems, sensors, the calibration of all the equipment. Then the statistics on all of the data, six sigma, etc etc.

Its just an example, but you can see how it can branch off into many fields. R&D at any plant is going to be involved, you will be surprised at how much reseach goes into one component. Some of the testing is cool, some of it can be downright boring. But if it doesn't work out at Honda or you choose to go another path the experience can lend yourself into many other carreer fields.

i'd rather hear about accessories than fenders all day long; so in the interest of HS, take the R&D job :D

ps congrats!!!

R&D it is... I am really excited about this and I know it's the right choice. I think down the road I will easily make up for the 9k. I guess it seems so significant now because I don't have half that in the bank currently.

Thanks for the input guys. I know I can always trust people on HS to help make important life decisions:D.

Back