Which audio system would you choose?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by TommyTheCat@Jul 6 2005, 01:24 PM
Multiple sub setups (i.e. different sizes) are unnecessary and silly. A decent set of 6.5's should provide enough output down to 80-100hz easily, then your subs fill in the rest. 8's are for midbass in the doors or small subs in the deck/box, not both.

And i can't say what will handle high freqs better, ported and sealed enclosures only change the low-end response. It's up to the driver solely above about 50hz.
[post=521574]Quoted post[/post]​

8's in the doors? Jesus Christ dude.

I guess it all depends on the listener. I really think half a billion watts and 300 pounds of subwoofers is a complete waste but that's me. Give me a single 10 or 12 in a properly built box being pushed by only a couple hundred watts and I'm set.

Multiple sub setups are more expensive and hard to tune. SQ competetors don't use it, so I think I'll stay away.

And yes, when i get a car with good doors(non-accord) I'll put somthing like these Kodas or these XXX's 6.5's sealed or ported. Most likely won't need a sub with them(don't need below 40hz for rock). Should mate well to a 5" mid and 1" tweet, fully active. But that's over a year from now..*sigh*...

edit: and to stay on topic...get the 15 if you want to pay for it. It (as you heard) will pound rap/hip-hop.

I agree with the tommycat. Not going to be too much of a difference between the 12 and 15. Usually 15s are more efficent anyway per single speaker, have a deeper bass response, but 2 12's in theory would make up for that because of the increased surface area, just slightly higher frequency response. You could also consider weight a factor. It would be much easier to make a poll on this stuff, say what your looking for spl, sq, etc. It is like comparing turbo chargers to super chargers, so many types, makes, models, setups and engines, its not practicle to say one is definetly better than the other.

Originally posted by TommyTheCat@Jul 6 2005, 02:26 PM
And yes, when i get a car with good doors(non-accord)
[post=521637]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey, hey, hey!!! Accord doors are just fine, they give me all that rattle that means I have that so-so-def BASS!!! :lol:

Originally posted by cheese9988@Jul 6 2005, 02:37 PM
I agree with the tommycat. Not going to be too much of a difference between the 12 and 15. Usually 15s are more efficent anyway per single speaker, have a deeper bass response, but 2 12's in theory would make up for that because of the increased surface area, just slightly higher frequency response. You could also consider weight a factor. It would be much easier to make a poll on this stuff, say what your looking for spl, sq, etc. It is like comparing turbo chargers to super chargers, so many types, makes, models, setups and engines, its not practicle to say one is definetly better than the other.
[post=521651]Quoted post[/post]​

My main focus is spl, but at the same time I want to be able to hear the words to the song when the bass hit a really low freq. I know if I get an amp that will power the 15 sufficiently, it will have pretty good clarity at low to mid-level volumes.

Im not some type of wigger punk that wants to shake the cars around me, I keep my music at a resonable volume, so that would not be a reason for me wanting the 15. I just want a sub that can hit the lows and still sound decently clear.

I prefer 12's over anything. 10's dont hit deep enough, 15's hit too deep, and sound muddy to me.. but 12's are just right.. kinda like the whole goldilocks thing.

I knew a guy who had a custom built pioneer 36" sub. Mounted it in a larger-than-a-friggin-refrigerator box. Put it into a cargo-van. It shook the van to pieces, broke several tack welds, rattled scews out, etc, etc... He promptly sold it to some other nut.

Some people, geez.

Originally posted by phyregod@Jul 7 2005, 12:28 PM
I prefer 12's over anything. 10's dont hit deep enough, 15's hit too deep, and sound muddy to me.. but 12's are just right.. kinda like the whole goldilocks thing.

I knew a guy who had a custom built pioneer 36" sub. Mounted it in a larger-than-a-friggin-refrigerator box. Put it into a cargo-van. It shook the van to pieces, broke several tack welds, rattled scews out, etc, etc... He promptly sold it to some other nut.

Some people, geez.
[post=522150]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea, putting an 18'' kicker solobaric in a civic would have the same effect. Did he drive it on the street?

Any info on this pioneer 36"?

Only guy i've heard with a sucessful sub over 20" is richard clark.

clarion had a 22 or 24 inch sub for a little while
a guy at a soundoff had one
it sounded like ASS had absolutly no accuracy, sloppy as fuck
the notes it did hit were too deep to do much of anything but shake shit
and it didnt do shit on the meter, scored something like 138Db (ive seen 10s put out higher Db)

big ass subs might be impressive to look at, but louder, clearer, more accurate sound can be acheived with smaller subs and well designed enclosures

not true about the 10's that is what i run in my car and they hit every note. personally i like 10's cause i listen to alot of rock so it is tighter bass. but i also listen to some rap and techno, so you build the box a little over the specs of the speaker and there ya go you get the best of both worlds. In your case though i would definatly recomend 12's over a 15 anyday. unless you listen to nothing but hip hop it isn't gonna pick up a goddamn note. my opinion 15 in and bigger are for competition use only.

Originally posted by trappd-in-859@Jul 6 2005, 11:18 AM
But will a ported 15" be able to get the higher frequecies like the sealed 2-12" would. I want deep bass, but I would also like it to be clear.

What setup would be better for rap/hip hop/r&b?
[post=521512]Quoted post[/post]​

get the 15. if you are worried about having no high end, put bass blockers on your door speakers. personally, i like 15's. i have a older kicker comp and im looking to get another and a 2000 watt amp. all i play is rap/r&b and gospel music.

15s=boom 12s=less boom, well unless you get the rockford punch p2's but thats wasnt a choice.

Ok I feel a need to mention something here.. that none of you genious audio geeks seem to remember in the heat of the moment.... What music do you listen to? If you listen to punk, that rules out that 15 pronto... I don't care what anyone sais, in all the setups and competitions/shows I have been to, I have never seen a 15 produce the quick tight base that is punk music... as for ruling out the 12's... they seem to handle every type of music... Maybe this sais something.

Originally posted by 5thGenLuvin@Aug 1 2005, 07:20 PM
Ok I feel a need to mention something here.. that none of you genious audio geeks seem to remember in the heat of the moment.... What music do you listen to? If you listen to punk, that rules out that 15 pronto... I don't care what anyone sais, in all the setups and competitions/shows I have been to, I have never seen a 15 produce the quick tight base that is punk music... as for ruling out the 12's... they seem to handle every type of music... Maybe this sais something.
[post=534219]Quoted post[/post]​

well, obviously you're not a genious, you can't even spell says. and if you would read before posting you would have seen that he plays rap/r&b. plus, this is an old topic, he probably already bought the system. most 12's dont dont hit as hard as 15's, i'd prefer a 15.

3rd gen Supras fit 6.5" in the doors. Yes, they do. The rear struts, however, fit 3". I have no idea what Toyota was thinking.

What is the placement of these speakers ? I had a homebuilt box housing 2 10" JBL max1000s (Paper studio monitors) and it sounded better than the single 15" mounted at an angle toward the front. The back hatch is very touchy to wave bouncing.

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 1 2005, 09:58 PM
3rd gen Supras fit 6.5" in the doors. Yes, they do. The rear struts, however, fit 3". I have no idea what Toyota was thinking.

What is the placement of these speakers ? I had a homebuilt box housing 2 10" JBL max1000s (Paper studio monitors) and it sounded better than the single 15" mounted at an angle toward the front. The back hatch is very touchy to wave bouncing.
[post=534243]Quoted post[/post]​

Sounds like they were thinking about the people that go for that staging bit. I dunno, if I dont have full range in the back it sounds... wrong.

Maybe for you, cause you listen to 5.1 sound (or is most of it processed from 2-channel).

Anyways 3"ers will kill your stage just as much as any speaker.

Back