Which Motor For Power?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

professorjohnfrink

What is a better engine in a 5g civic. For example, would a b18b-turbo or b18c1-turbo (boosted reasonably for a daily driver) be significantly quicker than an n/a h22a with minimal mods, and which setup would be more bang for your buck? I'm guessing that there are more and cheaper after-market mods on the B-series.-Thanks

I wouldn't reccomend cramming an H22A in there if it's a daily driver. I'd go with a B18C1 or B16A Sir II for a fast daily driver. As for cheaper parts, it depends, companies and manufacturers are always competing ,so you just have to look around for a good buy *cough cough ALLJDM and Hybrid Revolution cough cough*

well i would reccommend an h22 as a daily driver, it is a haul ass daily driver, and a bad ass drag car...

I'd also recommend the H if you don't want to turbo, want a car you can drive every day and don't mind some understeer when taking corners really hard.

I would recommend an H22 as well, especially for an eg. considering those bitches are light as fuck (especially the cx) I had a homie with a gsr eg with bolt ons and it was quick because it didn't have power steering or ac. Imagine how quick it would be with an H22. The power:weight ratio is dope on that chassis, peace!

when you talk about understeering explain what you mean. how hard will it be to deal with this cause i want major hp but also want good handling.

understeer is also called "plow"... basicly under heavy cornering your car will tend to push straight twards the outside of the turn
understeer is when the rear of the car is prone to kicking out slightly under hard cornering

FWD cars are designed with a tendancy to understeer when they exceed their cornering limits

with the H22 in the engine bay you now have more weight in front of the axles as well as more weight period
so this will magnify the amount of understeer

basicy if you were to throw the car into a hard cornering situation the handling would not be sharp and precise... instead you would experience wheel slide similar to trying to corner hard on wet roads

you can use higher strength springs to compensate for the added weight (batery relocation anf CF hood will help slightly... not nearly as much as people make it seem)2

the car can be fine as a daily driver... it will only suffer under HARD cornering (autoX, road course, twistie roads.....)

there are many threads where this has been covered

Go H22 :D . It should be fine for a daily driver, cheaper than going turbo with a B series, and if it stays N/A it should be more reliable than a turbo and easier to maintain.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 23 2003, 12:52 AM
understeer is also called "plow"... basicly under heavy cornering your car will tend to push straight twards the outside of the turn
understeer is when the rear of the car is prone to kicking out slightly under hard cornering

FWD cars are designed with a tendancy to understeer when they exceed their cornering limits

with the H22 in the engine bay you now have more weight in front of the axles as well as more weight period
so this will magnify the amount of understeer

basicy if you were to throw the car into a hard cornering situation the handling would not be sharp and precise... instead you would experience wheel slide similar to trying to corner hard on wet roads

you can use higher strength springs to compensate for the added weight (batery relocation anf CF hood will help slightly... not nearly as much as people make it seem)2

the car can be fine as a daily driver... it will only suffer under HARD cornering (autoX, road course, twistie roads.....)

there are many threads where this has been covered

IMO it really won't suffer.

Its 80lbs to the front of the car.

Re-do the suspension and put some good tires on and you really won't notice a difference.

Think about having a small kid sit on your hood, its not going to make a whole hell of a lot of difference especially if you have an aftermarket suspension and make it distribute the weight.

just my .02 cents

i'm a dumbass tho

under normal around town/highway driving you are right
but under hard cornering conditions like autoX, road course racing, or carving through twistie roads you will notice it a lot and it will decrease your handling performance
for most people this is not an issue .... for me, and the people like me, who are more interested in the cars handling ability than its 1/4 mile acceleration or top speed, this will be a major downside

Back